VPN Usage, what are the pitfalls?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
pop_pepper

VPN Usage, what are the pitfalls?

Post by pop_pepper »

Hi all, when the current lockdown eases the company i work for are branching out to china and it will require me to go there to work. I have been told a lot of apps and software are blocked in china and a work colleague has recommended i get a VPN. I've never used one before and was wondering what the pitfalls are, if any with Pop Peeper and any other sofware?
mjs

Re: VPN Usage, what are the pitfalls?

Post by mjs »

In some cases a VPN can slow down online speeds in general (potentially more so using a free service) - which can depend upon the VPN Servers location and VPN bandwidth limitations as well as the strength of the encryption and lastly arguably the most critical factor would be your ISP's connection speed (in which case you would want to get a better connection plan with your ISP). Keep in mind, in cases where slower speeds might sometimes occur, it can vary over time and in general most often only by a few MBPS however (so usually not that noticeable at all, especially with better VPN's).

As I personally have never used a VPN service myself, perhaps other members of the Esumsoft Team that know more about this will have additional comments as well.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello pop_pepper,

In addition to what lakrsrool has said, the information shown at the following link may be of help to you also:

https://www.travelchinacheaper.com/inde ... s-in-china

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Global Moderator
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

Do a google on vpn china legal

Otherwise, your employer should be the one to inquire about your internet use (as well as your overall comportment) while stationed in China.

Personally, I'd restrict communication to family and friends to your employer's equipment and network resources within company compound(s).

From your own device(s) while in your living quarters and when out and about... no VPN. If something's blocked, it's blocked. Live with it.
"This time the Republic has gone too far." -Senator Amidala
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

Thank you all for the replies. it's more complicated than i thought. A friend told me China doesn't like Facebook. I can live with that but there are other apps blocked. we all used whatsapp company group chat but i'm told there are issues with this also. we are looking at other chat apps as daily there are messages being posted too and forth than require loads of us to see.
dallas77us

Post by dallas77us »

You didn't mention if in your company you're a decision maker or not.

If not, your company should provide you with, at the very least, a written and binding Standard Operating Procedures.

If so, you should check with the U.S. Department of State for resources and guidance.

In both cases, especially for liabilities, consequences and remedies upon the possibility of falling out "favor" with the CCP.

Good luck.
"This time the Republic has gone too far." -Senator Amidala
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I have removed the URL posted by Shown. While the app may do what was suggested, there seems to be some controversy surrounding the app and its legality, since it uses modified code of the original WhatsApp. Being in the same business myself, that's not something I can condone.