OAuth problem or not?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
gordon

OAuth problem or not?

Post by gordon »

Hi,
I have been trying for a couple hours to OAuth a yahoo account.
I just ran it again, and now I get no error on that account.
But I am not sure if I enabled the old password.
I did get a window that said "Authentication successful"
But when I look at the account, I see a bunch of dots for this password.
And other OAuth accounts say:
"OAuth2 password not required"
Which is that account using? The old password or OAuth?
How can I tell if an account is using OAuth?
thx

PP 5.0.4.9004
mjs

Re: OAuth problem or not?

Post by mjs »

Hi Gordon,

OAuth2 does not use your login password (you can remove the password [dots] in your PP account if you like when using "OAuth2"). Note: logging into your account on the web will continue to require your password however (including when you authorize your email account to use PP included in the "OAuth2" steps to accomplish this).

As to whether you know you are using "OAuth2" in a specific PP account; When you edit your PP account and you are using "IMAP" (that is the "Server type:" must be set to "IMAP") - if "OAuth2" needs to be setup for that account then you will often get a prompt requesting that you do this. That said, you can at any time click on the "OAuth2" button in the PP account edit window and after following through with each step you will eventually get a dialog prompt that says "Authentication successful" at which time you have completed the process. At this point you would be using "OAuth2" and you should receive an email from the email service in your PP in-box to let you know that you have completed the authorization for the email account to use PP as well.

If you are getting errors in a PP account and the errors are because you need to setup "OAuth2" for that account then the PP error message will include a link for you to click on that will start the process for you. In any event, if an account is producing errors - you can always simply edit the account and press the "OAuth2" (across from the "Login name" in the edit account window) to start the process to complete the "OAuth2" for the respective account.

Also - in all cases if you are getting errors you should always post the error details in your reply in this forum (this will help us know more about what the problems may be for those accounts that have errors). If you are not familiar with how to post the error overview information then please refer to this topic: PP error messages: How to view them & copy/paste into your post. It is critical that you provide this error information so that we know what type of email service is involved as well as other information this provides us - so please if you are getting errors in PP this would be very helpful to post this error overview information for us.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
gordon

Post by gordon »

lakrsrool,
Thanks for the explanation :-)
As a member of the short attention span group,
I suggest that the PP account password field contain text OAuth when OAuth is enabled.
thx
mjs

Post by mjs »

Thanks Gordon, for the suggestion. Image I've actually thought the same thing as far as having some way of knowing that OAuth2 has been done for an IMAP account.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to highlight what lakrsrool said, there are basically 2 ways to know if you're using oauth2 or not:
1) Delete your password and the password field will say Oauth2 (password not required)
2) If you click on the oauth2 button and it asks if you want to reset your oauth2 credentials, then you're using oauth2 (you can respond with "no" unless you do need to reset them)

And I, too, agree that there needs to be a better way to convey that Oauth2 is being used. As long as you delete your password, I think the message there is sufficient. But if the password is supplied, the password field should still indicate that the password is there so that the user can delete it if they want (therefore, it can't say "oauth2..."). I've thought about asking the user if they want to delete the password after Oauth2 is successful, or maybe even just deleting it without asking the user (not usually a popular decision, but there are times when it's simply better and this may be one of those times); and then, I suppose, as long as Oauth2 is active, the user shouldn't even be allowed to modify the password.

Another possibility is to change the "oauth2" button into a dropdown box, with a choice between password and oauth2.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Hi,
OK, found a problem :-(
After reading Jeff's post I updated account gordon56 to OAuth.
And when it got to login on the web, I let the login go to gordon55 (lastpass makes that real easy).
It finished the OAuth sucessfully.
PP bean: retrieving previews to gordon56
It looks like PP put my gordon55 mail in my gordon56 account.
Both have a count of 807 now. That is the correct count for gordon55
But not correct for gordon56.
And looking at inbox view, gordon56 has lots of gordon55 mail.
There are no errors.
These are both yahoo accounts.
Waiting for instructions.

Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Edit both accounts in POP Peeper and make sure that both the "login name" and "email address" are appropriate for that account. If you need to change one, then be sure to reset Oauth2 as well by clicking the button, saying "yes" and then go through the procedure again (it would likely result in an error otherwise).

If the logins were good, then the other likely explanation is that you're forwarding or using POP3 access in one or both of those accounts to access the other account. This would be something that you changed in your Yahoo account (ie. not in POP Peeper).
gordon

Post by gordon »

I compared the 2 PP accounts and they are appropriate.
I found directions to enable yahoo forwarding, and that is not the problem.
I could not find how to enable yahoo POP server side.
Do you know how to enable yahoo POP server side?

thx
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It may no longer use POP3, so if you were looking for that, it may have been a wild goose chase. What I found is:
1) Log into your yahoo email account
2) Click on (top-right) "Settings" and then "more settings" at the bottom
3) Click on the "mailboxes" page on the left

Also, I know that Yahoo used to provide more/different options when using the classic/basic interface; so you may want to look in there, too. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but you can "switch to basic mail" on the bottom-left of the above option pages.