Pop Peeper Permanently Deleting Messages

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Amanda

Pop Peeper Permanently Deleting Messages

Post by Amanda »

Hello All,

When I delete a message in PopPeeper, it used to be moved to Deleted Items (Trash) etc. Now, when I delete an email using Pop Peeper, it deletes the message entirely. I thought that I had something funky in one of the configuration files so I removed PopPeeper from the computer and manually deleted any files left over. I re-entered all of my email accounts into the program and it is still doing the same thing.

If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Also, how do you move the Check Mail button back down to the bottom of the screen? (I like it there better)

Thanks!
mjs

Re: Pop Peeper Permanently Deleting Messages

Post by mjs »

Amanda wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:42 pm Hello All,

When I delete a message in PopPeeper, it used to be moved to Deleted Items (Trash) etc. Now, when I delete an email using Pop Peeper, it deletes the message entirely. I thought that I had something funky in one of the configuration files so I removed PopPeeper from the computer and manually deleted any files left over. I re-entered all of my email accounts into the program and it is still doing the same thing.
Welcome to the forum Amanda, try from the main PP menu, going to "Tools" > "PPtweaker..." > "Misc 2" to make sure the option "IMAP: Delete messages to trash" is checked (of course you must be using "IMAP" for your email protocol).
Amanda wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:42 pmIf anyone can help, I would appreciate it. Also, how do you move the Check Mail button back down to the bottom of the screen? (I like it there better)

Thanks!
In that same "Ppteaker" window select "Interface" (instead of "Misc 2") and check (enable) the 3rd option from the bottom of the window "Display Mail Check and Run Client buttons below account list (v3-style)".

Let us know if this is the results you wanted.

Addendum: if you go to "Help" > "Contents" and do a "Search" for "Delete message to trash" you will get information regarding your first question.
Last edited by mjs on Sun Feb 28, 2021 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Edited to add the "Addendum" comment.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hi,

The IMAP "Delete Messages to Trash" was already selected. I am of course using IMAP protocol. However, it may be worth noting that the Mail Server we use is MailEnable (Windows) and it does not have Inbox:Trash it uses Deleted Items instead. Wonder if that could be the cause?

I don't think it did this before we updated to the new server (hardware) but I am not sure. Also, I got the check mail button back where I wanted it. Thanks!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Make sure you have "Advanced options" enabled (checked) in the main menu "Tools" > "Options" > "General" page (toward the upper-right portion of window).

Then Edit each of your relevant email accounts in PP (one way to do this is to do a right-click on the account in the left "Accounts" pane of the main PP Interface) and then select "Edit account..." from the context menu to then select "Advanced 2" and then select the name of the folder (from the folder drop-down list) you want the "Deleted" messages to go to and then press the "Update" button for both steps. (Note: another way to edit an account is to select an account in the left accounts pane and then using the main menu select "Accounts" > "Edit...")

Let us know if this solves your issue.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hi,

Please see the attached screenshot. I don't have the Pro version. I have been using this software for 18 years and have never had to do this in the past. Any thoughts?
Attachments
pp.png
mjs

Post by mjs »

What Email Service is it that you are discussing (MSN, Yahoo, Gmail etc.)?

After doing some tests using Yahoo Mail, I find it is not necessary to enter a folder value in regards to the screen-shot posted directly above (that entry can remain blank as far as what it is you want to happen) but rather the first option I first mentioned is all that is required (at least in my case when testing a Yahoo account). Which coincides with your point that you have not previously needed to enter the folder value previously discussed.

With that in mind, my test results using a Yahoo Account are as follows (with the folder value referenced above empty [blank]):
1) If I have the option "IMAP: Delete messages to trash" is checked - then deleted messages will be sent to the Yahoo Clients "Trash" folder.
2) If I do NOT have the option "IMAP: Delete messages to trash" is checked - then deleted message will NOT be sent to the Yahoo Clients "Trash" folder.

So in my case (testing a Yahoo account), it would appear that the as long as the first option "IMAP: Delete messages to trash" previously referenced is checked (enabled) in the main PP menu ("Tools" > "PPtweaker..." > "Misc 2") then this is all that is needed for the messages to be moved to the Email Clients "Trash" folder when deleted in PP.

Other members of the Esumsoft Team will presumably have more to say about this after reviewing your topic some time tomorrow.
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hi.

Q: What Email Service is it that you are discussing (MSN, Yahoo, Gmail etc.)?

A: I am having this issue only with PopPeeper when deleting emails from our own in-house server. Windows 2019, Running MailEnable 10.32. Before you ask, yes, I have contacted MailEnable and they see nothing wrong in any logs since I noticed this a few weeks ago. MailEnable blames (any 3rd party software) as being the culprit.

FYI... I do not use a desktop email client. PopPeeper and MailEnable webmail. Setup has been running this way for over a year now. Just noticed that things I delete via PopPeeper are gone forever. As a last resort, I came here for help.

Thanks!
mjs

Post by mjs »

Reviewing your initial post and noticing you referenced "Deleted Items" as your "trash" folder - perhaps the Email Service at issue here is MSN (that is - Outlook.com/Hotmail.com).

So testing a Hotmail account - I still get the same results mentioned above. That is if the first option "IMAP: Delete messages to trash" previously mentioned is checked (enabled) in the main PP menu ("Tools" > "PPtweaker..." > "Misc 2") then messages deleted in PP will be moved to the Email Clients "Deleted Items" folder.

Edit: when posted (above), I had not noticed your last entry. With the new information provided (and thank you for that Amanda :)) -- Other members of the Esumsoft Team will need to followup with this tomorrow.
Last edited by mjs on Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to include additional comments
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

It's our own server. Not Yahoo or G-Mail
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hello Amanda,

A couple of additional questions for you:

1. Which version # of POP Peeper are you currently using?

2. Are you using a VPN at all?

Also, as our newest member, The Esumsoft Team requests that you please review the following Sticky topic:

Information for new users and forum members

The article contains important, helpful information which all members should be aware of. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to let us know.

Thank you & welcome aboard! :)
Global Moderator
Amanda

Post by Amanda »

Hi,

I am using Version 5 and I am NOT using a VPN

Thanks!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If the trash folder isn't overridden (as in your case), then PP uses a couple of techniques to figure out the appropriate trash folder:
1) Some servers will flag which folder is the trash (not all servers support this and/or not all mailboxes have set the designation)
2) POP Peeper looks for existing commonly used trash folder names
3) If all else fails, POP Peeper will create and use "inbox.trash"

If you have a "deleted items" folder, then that's the folder that POP Peeper should attempt to use based on rule #2 above.

I just created a test for this -- I created a new mailbox on my mail server and it starts with no folders except "Inbox" (ie. no inbox.trash, and therefore the server cannot designate that as the special trash folder). Using the webmail interface, I created a "Deleted Items" folder (and did not designate it as the trash folder). I then sent the mailbox a message, and then deleted it -- POP Peeper found and moved the deleted message to the "Deleted Items" folder. This was tested with a non-Pro license. Summary: it's working as expected.

So, we'll have to see why yours isn't working as expected. Please contact me (support at esumsoft dot com, or use the contact form) and I'll provide instructions for sending a log file.