Edit account: OAuth2 active, but password still displayed as "******"

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ktp

Edit account: OAuth2 active, but password still displayed as "******"

Post by ktp »

Hello,

Just to mention a minor problem I found on an Gmail account using OAuth2.
Although the associated Pop Peeper account has already OAuth2 activated, when I edit the account,
the password mechanism still seems active (Password field has "******" filled). This would lead to think that OAuth2 is not yet active.

Then OAuth2 button press confirms that OAuth2 is already active ("Do you want to delete the existing OAuth2 credentials..." popup).
So I have to clear entirely the Password field, then press Update button. Now the Password field is correctly "filled"
with greyed-out string: "OAuth2 (password not required)".
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Edit account: OAuth2 active, but password still displayed as "******"

Post by Jeff »

This is "by design" -- which doesn't necessarily mean that it's ideal, but it's on my radar. I think the initial idea was to automatically (or prompt) delete the password after oauth2 is activated. A potentially better solution is to provide a dropdown instead of the current oauth2 button, so that you can more easily tell if you're using password or oauth2; perhaps still with a prompt to delete the password after oauth2. I think my problem with that solution was that it can be hard to tell if the account supports oauth2 or not.

So, it's still being evaluated...