v5.1 startup window size / position

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
sysin3

v5.1 startup window size / position

Post by sysin3 »

v5.1 does not seem to use saved main window size / position on startup. It always starts with small window top left of screen.

The ini file seems to update and save WndMain1_a values. (I think that is the controlling variable)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: v5.1 startup window size / position

Post by Jeff »

I have some questions to figure out what may be the problem:

1) Under main menu: Tools / Options / Storage, what is your value for:
- Ini Location

2) If you reposition the main PP window and then immediately exit and restart POP Peeper (not Windows), does PP remember the correct window size/position?

3) Are you using multi-monitors?

4) Are you using any programs/games that may change the resolution of your monitor, or tries to manage the positioning of windows?
sysin3

Post by sysin3 »

(This is upgrade from previous version. Has worked fine for many years until now.)

ini is AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini

On exit it updates and saves ini file. example: WndMain1_a = 446 214 1587 1020 1
Immediately restarting results in small main window (maybe 200x200), top left of screen.

Only one monitor.

Nothing is messing with my monitor or windows.
sysin3

Post by sysin3 »

A bit more information:

If I start the program and then exit immediately without moving or resizing window, it updates the ini file to:
WndMain1_a = 0 0 423 351 1

So that looks like maybe the default if it cannot find or cannot deal with the WndMain1_a variable on startup.

This is Windows 10 Home, version 2004, build 19041.804
My screen resolution is 1920 x 1080, 100% scaling
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Those values are within the range of your monitor (ie. in case you're curious: they're absolute values, not width/height, so [446,214] represents the top-left coordinates and [1587,1020] the bottom-right), so there shouldn't be a problem with PP thinking the window position is off-screen.

But perhaps there's another setting causing a conflict, so I'll need you to send me your ini settings so that I can check. You'll need to send this to me via email (do not post on the forum); here's what you need to do:
1) From PP's main menu, select File / Error overview
2) Hold down the Ctrl key and press the "Copy Log" button
-> you should get a prompt that mentions the "EXTENDED log" (make sure it says EXTENDED -- that will only happen when you hold down the ctrl key)
3) Open notepad or any text editor
4) Paste (Ctrl+V) the log into the editor *
5) Save it to a file (preferably plain .txt format)
6) Attach that file via email (support at esumsoft dot com), and please include a quick note about why you're sending the file.

* - PP is supposed to scrub any irrelevant sensitive information in your ini file, but I just noticed that there is an oversight -- before saving the file, search for Admin and delete the line if it exists (it may not exist). This has been corrected for v5.1.1+.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This should be fixed in v5.1.1. I'm not exactly sure why this started being a problem (see: butterfly effect), but it turns out that it could potentially affect a large number of people.