Please make Auto-Updater modify dates

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
lwc

Please make Auto-Updater modify dates

Post by lwc »

Auto-Updater is a great feature! But it doesn't modify dates, not even that of PopPeeper.exe itself.
In other words, all Last Modified dates always remain the same.
It makes the whole process look nontransparent. If a file or folder is modified, its date should be modified too.
Will you consider adjusting Auto-Updater to modify the dates of everything it touches?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Please make Auto-Updater modify dates

Post by Jeff »

I just tested this and the installed timestamps updated per the timestamp of the updated files. ie. Apr 08, 2021
lwc

Post by lwc »

This is surprising because for me the dates seem to remain the same.
I'm pretty sure I've upgraded to v5.1.1 about 2-3 days ago. I definitely did it after reading the forum, which didn't announce it before April 9th.
Nevertheless, PopPeeper.exe itself is dated April 8th.
Actually, none of the files are dated later than April 8th.
Attachments
File details and signature
File details and signature
Actual date
Actual date
Release date
Release date
released.png (4.32 KiB) Viewed 3154 times
mjs

Post by mjs »

I have the same "modified" date stamp as posted here for the PP executable (as all users presumably should that have installed the most current update): Thursday, ‎April ‎8, ‎2021, ‏‎8:43:14 PM - which is indicative of the date that Jeff applied the most current new release of the executable.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Yes, April 8 is the date that the files were originally built/compiled. IMHO, this is a much more practical timestamp then the timestamp that *you* installed the files.

Think of it this way -- when you download a zip file from the web, the zip file will have the date that it was downloaded, but the files contained within the zip file will have the original timestamps. This is exactly what's happening with POP Peeper's auto-update.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Also, the screenshot that you posted showing the date of the v5.1.1 release as Apr 9 is misleading -- you took a screenshot of the reply, which was posted the next day. Look at the original post of the announcement which was posted Apr 8; keeping in mind that we are in different time zones (ie. my local timestamps on those 2 messages are Apr 08 @ 9:10p and Apr 09 @ 1:10p)

Besides, this was actually an unusual case where I built the release and then almost immediately made it available. Typically, I wait at least 24 hours before releasing it, and even then it will typically be to the Beta Release channel, and a public announcement will be at least some days after that.