Lost old account details

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
elygianne

Lost old account details

Post by elygianne »

Hi I've had a PP account for years and have PPPro but unfortunately when my PC stuck halfway through after a routine Win 10 update, I opted for a new version which unfortunately then wiped out all my email addresses and details. Then when trying to log into the forum just now it wouldn't accept the name or password which I'd always used, so I've had to rejoin. I also have PPpro but all my account details have gone as well always using the name Arcadian or something very similar here in the forum.
Moorland

Re: Lost old account details

Post by Moorland »

Just found my old account on here under the name of "Moorland" which should show I bought the Pro version. I'm hoping it will also show all my original email addresses as well....

Thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry to hear about the problem. Your accounts are only stored locally, they are not saved in the cloud, so if you don't have a backup, you'll unfortunately need to re-enter the information. By default, POP Peeper does store a backup, but typically, if POP Peeper detects that your settings file was corrupted and no accounts loaded, it will check to see if there's a backup and prompt if you want to restore. Go to the location where POP Peeper stores your ini file and see if there's a corresponding .bak file there. That is, the default location is:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini.bak
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini.bak
Moorland

Post by Moorland »

Thanks a lot but a bit too complicated for me unfortunately. All I could think of was to use system restore and wait and see what happens tomorrow :oops:
Moorland

Post by Moorland »

Unfortunately it didn't work so keep trying....thanks anyway.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Did you find the backup file? And is the timestamp before the issue? If so, then:
1) Make sure PP isn't running
2) Rename the current poppeeper.ini to something like poppeeper-new.ini
3) Make a copy of the backup file and rename that copy poppeeper.ini
4) Restart POP Peeper

If you're having problems finding the correct location, do this:
1) Open File Explorer
2) Paste the following into the address bar and press <enter>:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\
- This is where you should find poppeeper.ini and poppeeper.ini.bak
but Windows likes to hide extensions by default (worst feature ever), so the "ini" file may just be called "poppeeper" and the "type" may be "configuration file" or something (I always change these settings and I can never remember what Windows calls it by default). It may be easier to show file extensions -- under the "View" menu (still in File Explorer), enable the checkbox on the right for "file name extensions" -- that should make it easier to distinguish the files.