Now that MS is ending IE...

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
crabboy

Now that MS is ending IE...

Post by crabboy »

In a previous exchange you mentioned that PP opens HTML with IE. Now that MS is ending IE I assume that that will change. If a different browser is used, will that allow HTML to be opened in Linux? Inquiring minds want to know....
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Now that MS is ending IE...

Post by Jeff »

Sometime in the past year, I think I had posted some information (or some possibility it was an email exchange) about this. My plan at the time was to find a suitable html renderer. At the time (and still), using a Chromium-based browser was the best option. At this point, I confess that not much more effort has gone into that endeavor. That being said, I very much doubt that MS will actually *remove* IE, although it's possible; unfortunately, I've not been able to find any information about that. Based on a recent youtube video I saw (Gamers Nexus), the information suggested that long term support would continue through 2029, but that support isn't officially ending until June 2022.

Before replying, I was going to try to test HTML in Linux, as I don't remember specifically that that's a thing -- although, I'm sure that it's based on IE6, but that should allow "simple" html to work, even if newsletters (and oauth2) will likely have issues. But, I haven't been able to confirm that because I can't get wine to install.
crabboy

Post by crabboy »

Out of curiosity, which distro are you using? I use Peppermint OS (Debian based) and run PP thru wine. Everything important works other than HTML.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Mint.

I tried installing it again and I'm getting a couple different errors each time (the other day it just sat there forever not doing anything). ftr, I've never had a problem installing it before, and this is a relatively recent install of Mint as I recently switched from VirtualBox to VMware, so I'm not sure what the problem is; but I just don't have the patience to try to figure it out right now.