Email Reply: Do You Want to Change Account?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
River

Email Reply: Do You Want to Change Account?

Post by River »

When replying to random emails I am receiving a popup that asks "Do You Want to Change (sender) Account" to another, always the same, different email account even though I am replying from the previously designated reply account.

Can't figure this out.

Any Help?

Thanks
River

Re: Email Reply: Do You Want to Change Account?

Post by River »

Here is the pop up
Attachments
Image 002.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

What is the exact sequence of events in which this occurs?

The only time it should happen is when you add an email address to the list of recipients (to/cc/bcc), either through the address book or via auto-complete (and there are additional restrictions, too). But -- and perhaps this answers your question -- this assumes that you've assigned a "default account" for that email address in your address book.

Also: If you reply to a sender, even if that sender has a different "default account" than the account you received the email in (and thus the account which will be used to reply back), it doesn't show that prompt in my testing.

It should not happen simply because you replied to an email, which is why I'm asking about the sequence of events.
River

Post by River »

I will have to recreate it and get back. It doesn't happen all the time but it does 'suggest' the latest added email account not the designated one which is usually the one I'm replying from.

Thanks.
River

Post by River »

Ok, it happens when I try to 'forward' an email to another of my accounts and it asks me if I want to change the sender account to another one of my email accounts, which was the last one added to Pop Peeper, not even the designated sender account or the one forwarded from if that makes any sense.
Attachments
Image 003.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi River,

From the main POP Peeper menu - please go to "Tools" > "Options" and then select the following 3 windows listed below and post the screen-shots for each:
1) Select "General" and post the screen-shot of this window.
2) Select "Send Mail" and post the screen-shot of this window.
3) Select "Plugins" and post the screen-shot of this window.

Thank you.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
River

Post by River »

MJS
Attachments
Image 001.jpg
Image 002.jpg
Image 003.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

mjs may have had a separate reason for asking for those screenshots, but I don't think they're applicable to what I think the explanation is.

As I alluded to above, you can assign a "default account" for contacts in your address book. When you compose an email using that contact's email address, it will prompt you if you want to change to the designated account. The purpose of this feature is so that you don't have to remember which of your accounts to use when you compose a new email (e.g. you may want to send from a "personal" email address when emailing your family, and a "business" address when emailing your business contacts).

So, what you want to do is:
1) Open POP Peeper's address book (Ctrl+B when viewing the main PP window)
2) Edit the contact that contains the email address you were trying to forward *to* (e.g. "second account" in your screenshot); you can use the search box to type in the email address to help find it; to edit it, select it in the list and then press the "edit" button
3) You will see a "default account" dropdown, which will presumably list your "third account" -- set this to the empty/blank entry at the top of the dropdown list
4) Press OK to save
5) Try doing the same thing again to forward the message to your "second account" and confirm that the issue no longer occurs
River

Post by River »

That works! but I'm not sure about the rational behind the address book settings on all accounts all referring to the last email account added to Pop Peeper vs reflecting. I will change all my accounts to reflect "empty/blank entry".

Thanks again Jeff for your patience and help.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

By default, any contacts should be using the blank/empty entry for the default account -- are you saying that you did not explicitly set this value?

Do *all* of your contacts have it set (incorrectly)? And, if not, is there any pattern that you can see? e.g. are newer or older contacts affected, etc.
River

Post by River »

All the contacts have the same 'default account' filled in which is the last account I set up in Pop Peeper.

It is not blank or the account I set up as the default 'account to use for composing' on the Compose button.
mjs

Post by mjs »

River wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:02 pm All the contacts have the same 'default account' filled in which is the last account I set up in Pop Peeper.

It is not blank or the account I set up as the default 'account to use for composing' on the Compose button.
So to clarify - are you saying you have not entered anything (including the last account that was setup) into any of the "default account" option settings for any of your accounts in your address book but rather you are saying that the "default account" value for this setting that you describe was done without doing anything on your part at all?

Note: this "default account" setting for each POP Peeper account should be blank (empty) by default in the event you have not entered anything for this setting yourself.

Can you recall when it was that you setup (added) your last (most recent) account in POP Peeper? And how many accounts do you have?

(On a side note: to clarify regarding your other comment - the "Account to use for composing:" setting that you can set yourself for composing messages is independent of the "default account" value setting for each of the accounts you have in your POP Peeper Address Book.)
Last edited by mjs on Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: minor edit to correct syntax typo error: "enter" to "entered".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
River

Post by River »

"So to clarify - are you saying you have not enter anything (including the last account that was setup) into any of the "default account" option settings for any of your accounts in your address book but rather you are saying that the "default account" value for this setting that you describe was done without doing anything on your part at all?"

Yes

"Note: this "default account" setting for each POP Peeper account should be blank (empty) by default in the event you have not entered anything for this setting yourself."

It was automatically filled with last account set up.

"Can you recall when it was that you setup (added) your last (most recent) account in POP Peeper? And how many accounts do you have?"

Last month - 10

"(On a side note: to clarify regarding your other comment - the "Account to use for composing:" setting that you can set yourself for composing messages is independent of the "default account" value setting for each of the accounts you have in your POP Peeper Address Book.)"

Yes
mjs

Post by mjs »

To my knowledge the "Account Default" value setting for each account in the POP Peeper Address Book discussed here in this topic can only be explicitly set by the user therefore absent any user input the value for this setting would be expected to be blank (empty).

In consideration of this - beyond any followup by other moderators of the Esumsoft Team - because Jeff (PP Developer) is currently out of town through June 25th, additional followup may be delayed.

Fortunately the critical issue at hand has however been resolved by changing the "Account Default" setting(s) (that were not blank/empty) for all of your Address Book accounts to reflect an "empty/blank entry". =D>
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

All of my Account Default settings are blank for all entries in my address book.
This annoyance began to occur on the update before last - I am on 5.1.2 now. Or it was the update to 5.x. I cannot remember.
I just know it is a bug or error and annoying to have to click 'no'.
By the way, clicking yes changes nothing aside from closing the annoying popup that will not allow you to tab to the body to type the email you are trying to send.
The account it offers to change to is always the same. I have never sent mail from that particular account. It mostly receives [junk] mail.
Thanks
tjpsnj
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi tjpsnj,

Please confirm the following to be true:
1) The "Do you want to switch to the following account" prompt:
Example of the prompt discussed
Example of the prompt discussed
message dialog prompt.png (3.32 KiB) Viewed 8028 times
occurs only when you are "Forwarding" a message?

As to your other comments:
tjpsnj wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:58 pm By the way, clicking yes changes nothing aside from closing the annoying popup that will not allow you to tab to the body to type the email you are trying to send.
Regardless if you answer "Yes" or "No" to the prompt (illustrated in the example screen-shot above) - in either case the mouse cursor will remain positioned where it was prior to selecting a recipient account from your Address Book which would typically be at the "To:" prompt of the message getting forwarded. If you click on the "Tab" key 3 times you will go from the "To:" to the "Subject:" and then to the "From:" and then to the message body where you can enter your message at this time (or you can simply place your cursor in the message body by clicking there).

As to your mentioning "... clicking yes changes nothing... " (in your comments above) - actually a "Yes" reply should produce a change - this is covered in the 3rd paragraph below.
tjpsnj wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:58 pm The account it offers to change to is always the same. I have never sent mail from that particular account. It mostly receives [junk] mail.
This account will always be the same (non-blank) value in the "Default Account" setting of the account you select from your Address Book to forward the message to. So you will only get this prompt to switch to another account if you are using your address book to select the destination account and that account will have a (non-blank) "Default Account" value that is different than the account you are using to send the forwarded message from. Keep in mind a recipient account, selected from the Address Book, that has an empty (blank) "Default Account" value will not (should not) produce the prompt option to switch (change) the sending account.

When this prompt occurs again - make note of the account you selected from the Address Book to send the message to and edit that specific account in your Address Book that you selected from your Address Book to use to forward the message to and you should see a "Default Account" address value in that edited account in your Address Book that is the same as the account displayed in the prompt that you have the option to switch to. (Note: To clarify, the recipient's "Default Account" must be different than the account you're forwarding from to trigger the "switch account" prompt).

As to what occurs in regards to the answer to the prompt - a "Yes" reply will switch the sending account to the account offered to be switched to in the prompt and a "No" reply will leave the sending account as it was (again - the sending account must be different than the recipient account selected from the Address Book for the prompt to occur). Again - in any case, regardless of the reply to the prompt, the cursor continues to reside where you had it last hence likely at the "To:" prompt of the message (prior to selecting the recipient account in your Address Book) of which (regardless of the position of the cursor) pressing the "Tab" key will continue to move the cursor to each of the next successive tab prompt positions (or the cursor can be placed in the message body by clicking within the body of the message).

Hopefully this clarifies when and why this "Do you want to switch to the following account" prompt is triggered (providing I got the details correct :wink:) and what the option provides to the user. As I see it, the purpose of the "Default Account" value setting specific to the selected recipient account is to provide a way to offer the user an opportunity to change the sending to a more preferred account to use to send the forwarded message.

If what I've explained above still does not comport with the results you get - please provide specific details of each and every step taken as to what is different.
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

So I waited a while as I can't figure out what additional information you are looking for. It isn't about where the cursor is on the popup. It is about why the popup comes up in the first place.

Type in the recipient address and tab or click your cursor to the next field and the popup pops up.

Choose yes or no. No change is made. Only the popup closes.

It is like you are denying what we are seeing after none of your suggestions made any difference?
Is there another thread for this?

I know I am not the only one annoyed by this. It is not breaking anything but it does look like a bug.

T
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It is a bug. I'm sorry that you felt that we were denying it, but neither mjs nor I had been able to duplicate the problem and so we were (a) trying to understand what the problem is specifically and (b) doing our best to provide a solution, given that we were not able to reproduce the problem.

The bug's side-effects is that the "default account" for any existing contacts had been changed to a certain account (more on this). The solution -- as was previously suggested -- is to go into your address book, edit each contact and change the "default account" back to the first/blank entry.

There is another solution to this if you have a lot of contacts. However, I have not heard back from the original person this was sent to, so I don't have an affected person's confirmation that this works, but it should:
1) PP main menu: Tools / Options / Storage; double-click the text "data path" near the top-left -- this will open Windows Explorer. Ensure that you can see the addrbook.inx file here. (you'll use WinExplorer later)

2) In PP, open your addrbook

3) From the addrbook menu, select File / Export

4) Export it to a file that you can find easily later

5) Exit POP Peeper

6) In the WinExplorer window you opened in step #1 -- RENAME
addrbook.inx
to
addrbook-backup-inx

(actually, I think you may have renamed this file, so you should do the equivalent of the addrbook file that PP is actually using)

7) Restart POP Peeper

8) Open the address book (it should be empty now; if not, then you need to repeat from step #5)

9) From the addrbook menu, select File / Import

10) Select the file that you exported in step #4

11) On the next page of the import wizard ("mapping"), you may see a "DefAccount" field at the bottom of the list; I believe that there was a bug in the current release (which has since been fixed) so that this wouldn't work anyway, but if it's there, just uncheck it; press Finish

12) Review the new list of contacts to make sure it looks like everyone's there and their email addresses are there/correct. Edit a few of them to make sure that the Default Account is blank.

13) Do not use "Create account (MANUAL)". At least not until the next version, and ideally not after that.

Step #13 goes to how this bug is manifested, and why we weren't able to duplicate the problem. The bug occurs when you use the "create account manual" method (which is only available via right-clicking in the Accounts List pane). When you use this method, it will set any contacts' "default account" that are currently blank (the default) to the new account you just created. I have been seriously considering removing this create-account method because it's just not a widely used feature and it obviously can cause problems that don't exist with the recommended create-account method.

So, just for confirmation -- have you used the "create account (manual)" method?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

tjpsnj -- I just looked back at one particular comment you made: "All of my Account Default settings are blank for all entries in my address book. "

If you can re-confirm this, then I'll need you to email me so that you can provide additional information. I can confirm that the only time the "do you want to switch to the following account" prompt is displayed, is when PP thinks that the "default account" setting has been changed. Further, I know that when the aforementioned bug is in effect, that the "default account" should be changed to reflect the account. So if yours has the same effect, but does not show any change in the "default account", then that may be a different bug that needs to be investigated in more detail.

And just so we're on the same page, here's the setting that is being referred to:
PP_AddrBook_DefaultAccount.png
PP_AddrBook_DefaultAccount.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 7646 times
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

One other thing I forgot to mention in regards to the bug that was found -- even though this bug will be fixed in PP v5.1.3, it only prevents it from happening and it will NOT undo the changes made by the bug, so it will be necessary to change the "default account" for existing contacts whether you do it now, or after v5.1.3 is released.