Is there a way to have POP Peeper to autocheck for new emails after deleting e-mail(s)?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ant

Is there a way to have POP Peeper to autocheck for new emails after deleting e-mail(s)?

Post by ant »

PopTrayU does this.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)
mjs

Re: Is there a way to have POP Peeper to autocheck for new emails after deleting e-mail(s)?

Post by mjs »

Please provide us with more details to your question (deleting emails has no impact on the procedures POP Peeper uses to check for new messages).

Just covering the basics on ways POP Peeper can be setup to automatically retrieve messages:

As long as POP Peeper's "Mail Check" function is not disabled - POP Peeper will continue to do scheduled "Mail Checks" for new messages based on how you have the Mail Check "Polling Interval" value set at (keep in mind that "Polling Intervals" can also be set for individual accounts as well as for all accounts at the same time). However there is more to when Email accounts can be get checked for new messages of which includes how your accounts are setup in POP Peeper. For example if your Email Accounts in POP Peeper are setup to use the IMAP protocol for messages and you enable the IDLE/push function for the respective account then new messages will be retrieved by POP Peeper when available that is as of the time they reach the Email Accounts server. So there's a lot more to say regarding the various ways that POP Peeper will check for new messages than just the Mail Check feature that can do scheduled "Mail Check" automatically for new messages assuming what you mean by "autocheck" is the "Mail Check" function of POP Peeper. So more details on what it is your asking would be helpful.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
ant

Re: Is there a way to have POP Peeper to autocheck for new emails after deleting e-mail(s)?

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:20 pm Please provide us with more details to your question (deleting emails has no impact on the procedures POP Peeper uses to check for new messages).

Just covering the basics on ways POP Peeper can be setup to automatically retrieve messages:

As long as POP Peeper's "Mail Check" function is not disabled - POP Peeper will continue to do scheduled "Mail Checks" for new messages based on how you have the Mail Check "Polling Interval" value set at (keep in mind that "Polling Intervals" can also be set for individual accounts as well as for all accounts at the same time). However there is more to when Email accounts can be get checked for new messages of which includes how your accounts are setup in POP Peeper. For example if your Email Accounts in POP Peeper are setup to use the IMAP protocol for messages and you enable the IDLE/push function for the respective account then new messages will be retrieved by POP Peeper when available that is as of the time they reach the Email Accounts server. So there's a lot more to say regarding the various ways that POP Peeper will check for new messages than just the Mail Check feature that can do scheduled "Mail Check" automatically for new messages assuming what you mean by "autocheck" is the "Mail Check" function of POP Peeper. So more details on what it is your asking would be helpful.
I use my ISP's POP3 server. After I manually delete e-mail(s), I would like POP Peeper to recheck for new e-mails right away like PopTrayU does instead of having it to wait for the next scheduled auto check (e.g., 5 mins).
mjs

Post by mjs »

Okay - now I understand what you're asking (it seemed like you were asking how to check for messages that have been deleted which didn't make sense since deleted messages that do not reside on the server can no longer be retrieved as you know) - so assuming you must have been asking about the message retrieval functionality of PP we needed more clarity as to how deleted message would have anything to do with these functions.

So you apparently want an "auto" Mail Check function that is specifically triggered by a message getting deleted... hmm - I frankly cannot see how this would be practical at all or for that matter very functional. Let us consider that your expectation is for the message notifier to start a "Mail Check" function subsequent to each and every message deletion. And let us consider that you may very likely delete multiple messages for example. So what you would have is the notifier app doing multiple message checks as reflected to how many messages you might happen to delete in succession at some point in time. In my view this doesn't seem to make much sense since the result would be multiple sequential "auto" Mail Checks getting triggered subsequent to one another respective of each and every message that was deleted resulting in far more "auto" Mail Checks occurring than needed.

Considering that POP Peeper provides users with close to 40 various optional Toolbar buttons (just in the Main Toolbar alone) one of which is the "Check Mail" button (that I use) - consider my suggestion below as a far better alternative to what you're asking about.

Because a user would obviously know at what point they have finished deleting messages - it would make more sense to me for the user to then do a manual "Mail Check" at that point. This is so easily accomplished in POP Peeper by one mouse click that makes this approach much more practical than to use some sort of "auto" Mail Check feature that would clearly more often than not trigger multiple superfluous "Mail Checks".

Screen-shot example of my POP Peeper Toolbar (of which I have included the "Mail Check" button):
Circled is the optional &quot;Mail Check&quot; button - of which it takes just one click to initiate a Mail Check for all accounts (which in this specific case could be done once the user is done with the message they intend to delete at that time).<br />Note: you can click on the image to enlarge for better viewing and return back to the forum using your browser back-arrow button)
Circled is the optional "Mail Check" button - of which it takes just one click to initiate a Mail Check for all accounts (which in this specific case could be done once the user is done with the message they intend to delete at that time).
Note: you can click on the image to enlarge for better viewing and return back to the forum using your browser back-arrow button)
Also = I'm frankly not sure why you're drawing comparisons to PopTrayU (a very long ago PopTray fork as of more than a decade ago that does not appear to be supported) in the first place - that as you know has not been updated by an "official" release in over 4 years (there hasn't even been a beta version release in well over 3 years :shock: - which seems very odd in-and-of-itself) - so it would appear this notifier app is getting very little if any support at all of any kind. And as you have made note of yourself by your own admission quote; "They're outdated and buggy especially with IMAP" comment posted earlier just this month for both of these two apps - hence from my perspective as well - one would assume these two apps to be potentially unreliable at some level. As I'm sure you know, four years is an extremely long time to not have any updates of any kind in the email sector. #-o
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Oh - btw in regards to this:
ant wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:01 pmI use my ISP's POP3 server. After I manually delete e-mail(s), I would like POP Peeper to recheck for new e-mails right away like PopTrayU does instead of having it to wait for the next scheduled auto check (e.g., 5 mins).
(comment above edited to highlight point of reference)
Is there a reason why you are using POP3? We strongly recommend using IMAP actually - as there are a number of advantages with this protocol.
ant

Post by ant »

mjs wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:38 pm Oh - btw in regards to this:
ant wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:01 pmI use my ISP's POP3 server. After I manually delete e-mail(s), I would like POP Peeper to recheck for new e-mails right away like PopTrayU does instead of having it to wait for the next scheduled auto check (e.g., 5 mins).
(comment edited to highlight point of reference)
Is there a reason why you are using POP3? We strongly recommend using IMAP actually - as there are a number of advantages with this protocol.
I use POP3 because I keep all my e-mails on my local computer. I don't keep them on the e-mail server.
Francis17

Post by Francis17 »

In the absence of a check-after-delete feature, the recommended workaround seems to be "click the toolbar's Check Mail" button. The button is barely quicker than File / Check mail or Ctrl+M.

Well it would be helpful (better "usability") to have a feature (and menu item and button) for "Check only the currently selected account" that is selected in the View dropdown. I usually keep the toolbar hidden, and the check-now button does not even address this use-case, because it targets all accounts.

The current command for "check current account" is scroll the accounts list, right-click / [open context menu] the desired account, and select 'Check mail' from the popup menu. A dedicated button would require less pointing. But maybe manual check-now should refresh only the selected account? Automatic checks would still refresh all eligible accounts. And manual check-now would refresh all visible accounts, as when "All Accounts" is selected in the View dropdown.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In the absence of a check-after-delete feature
I don't see this mentioned before in this thread, but there is a "delete mail immediately" option, which people may find beneficial:
Main menu: Tools / Options / General (enable "Advanced Options" to see it)
Well it would be helpful (better "usability") to have a feature (and menu item and button) for "Check only the currently selected account" that is selected in the View dropdown.
The v3-style GUI had this option. You can bring it back if you want:
main menu: Tools / PPtweaker; Interface page: "Display check mail and run client buttons..."
When you enable this, you'll see a "check mail" button below the accounts list, which has a drop-down menu. Select "Check selected accounts" and now when you press that button it will do that.

Another option: Add a custom toolbar button for the "main" toolbar button ID 32780 ("Selected account: Check mail"). Instructions for this:
https://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper/ref ... s/#toolbar

That being said, I personally don't see what the big deal is to check all accounts. As long as all your accounts are IMAP/Idle, then it's a very quick process. And if you're not using IMAP/Idle, then you're probably not too concerned about efficiency anyway. :?