junk mail icon is on but no junk mail

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
orracle51

junk mail icon is on but no junk mail

Post by orracle51 »

The junk mail icon is on but when I check each of the 5 accounts nothing appears. I tried "view all" and "junk mail" but nothing appears. :(
mjs

Re: junk mail icon is on but no junk mail

Post by mjs »

Please provide more details as to what you are doing and what your goal is.

Such as what is meant by "junk mail icon is on" and what "view all" and "junk mail" is that you tried.

Presumably you are discussing the "Junk View" button as illustrated in the screen-shot below:
Jun View button - options.png
Jun View button - options.png (7.98 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
There is a "Show all" - is this what you mean by "view all"?
And is "Show Junk" only" what you mean by "junk mail" that you tried?

What is meant by "junk mail icon is on"? - is that "Show junk only" is selected?

If your want to see all possible messages (including "Junk" messages) you could try this (selecting "messages" from the main PP menu):
See all messages.png
See all messages.png (9.48 KiB) Viewed 2796 times
-- remove the check marks (temporarily) to see all messages -- which in this case you will presumably find the message(s) that your are expecting to see that are perhaps missing from your In-box. Be sure and return to what you had before by adding the check marks back as they were previously when you are done using this option (this option, disabling "Enable display filters...", is intended to be a "temporary" solution).

Let us know if this helps in any way and if not please explain in more detail - what it is that you are expecting to find in your PP In-box that is apparently not there and why you feel it should be in your PP In-box.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
orracle51

Post by orracle51 »

Junk mail icon is on--by that I mean the icon in the tray is showing RED and hovering over it says there is one junk mail message.

Excuse me for saying "view" instead of "show". Apparently you did know what I meant.

My goal was to find what and where this mysterious message is.

There were a few messages that were "hidden" although I don't know why or how that happened. Apparently it thought one of these was junk, although from a sender on the whitelist.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry for the delayed reply; it sounds like you found the message causing the indicator.

But just to add a couple comments:

1) The only filter that's included by default that would hide the message is the "BCC" rule; but this will also mark the message as read, which means it wouldn't cause the red-envelope status in the tray icon. If it happens again, you may want to see which filters triggered on the message (there are various ways, but one is to right-click on the message and select AntiJunk -> Show evaluation) and that would help narrow down which filters to look at to see if they are set to hide the message. If you have an action to "hide" a message, it's probably a good idea to "mark read" as well to avoid this issue.

2) Besides using the "Enable display filters" method, there's another trick which may be better, but not quite as easy to remember. If you do a search for:
it will show you all messages evaluated/marked as junk. Search always shows hidden messages and they'll appear in italics.

Unfortunately, you can only search for one "status" value, so you cannot search for "status:junk status:unread" -- maybe someday, though. (technical note: searching for both statuses will use the final one and ignore any previous ones, so the above example would result in all unread messages regardless if they're junk or legit)