Frequent 'Unknown Host' message on two BT email accounts

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Richard52

Frequent 'Unknown Host' message on two BT email accounts

Post by Richard52 »

Keep getting the 'Unknown Host' message on two BT email accounts requiring me to reset the account maybe 2 or 3 times before Poppeeper will actually check the mail on these accounts. The other odd thing is that the webmail shows 'greyed out' in the help screen. Have tried updating - but still the same. I'm running version 5.1.2. Other gmail accounts all working fine....

Has anyone any idea what is going on here?
mjs

Re: Frequent 'Unknown Host' message on two BT email accounts

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Richard52,

A few days ago I experienced a few accounts with this error but the issue only lasted for one "Mail Check" as I recall and hasn't happened since. These errors can on relatively rare occasions occur sporadically for a short period of time.

How long has this issue been occurring and what is the frequency?

If the errors remain persistent over time you have the option to exclude the impacted accounts from "Host matching" until the issue gets resolved (accessed from the main menu at "Tools">"PPtweaker..." on the "Certificates" page).

In regards to "Webmail" - this protocol is currently a paid service. Please click HERE for information on the "Webmail" subscription.

Also, as a new forum member, we on the Esumsoft Team recommend you take a look at the following topic when you have the time: Information for new users and forum members. The article contains important, helpful information for new forum members. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to let us know.

Other members of our Team will likely be providing additional feedback regarding the 'Unknown Host' errors you are getting.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Richard52

Post by Richard52 »

Have just unchecked 'Host Matching' and tried 10 repeated mail checks without error! Seems like this could be the answer I've been looking for, but not giving a success fanfare just yet....

I think you may have cracked the problem for me, but I will give it a couple of days before I start dancing on the table!

Many many thanks,

Richard
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

This *may* just be coincidence. An "unknown host" error means that it was not even able to connect to the host; the "hostname matching" option is for SSL, and occurs after the connection has already been made. Intermittent "unknown host" errors usually means a problem with your DNS server.

However, once you feel comfortable that things are definitely working consistently, try re-enabling "hostname matching" and see if you get an error again. If so, copy the exact error -- press the yellow '!' button, then select the text and paste it in here; note: the "copy log" button will include more information than what is necessary for this issue, so just select the text instead of using "copy log".
Richard52

Post by Richard52 »

Have to report that the problem has returned :( but would like to hear more about possible DNS problem you refer to, don't know where to start with that!

Log shows :-

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.1.2.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.1.2.0
SendMail: 5.1.2.0
Profile Picture: 5.1.2.0 (disabled)
AntiJunk: 5.1.2.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 5.1.2.0 (disabled)
Trusted Sites: 5.1.2.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.1.2.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Users\Richard\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
Hxxxxx BT [1000: IMAP] ['mail.btinternet.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp:'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- Unknown Host

Rxxx BT [1000: IMAP] ['mail.btinternet.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com' (465) SSL: 1] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- Unknown Host
Richard52

Post by Richard52 »

OK. Figured it out now. Have Changed DNS Settings fom 1.1.1.1 and 1. . .1 to read 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8 and now all seems to be working OK.

Time will tell.........

Richard
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, let us know.

For the record, there was a time when I would generally recommend using your ISP's DNS (several people using 1.1 would experience long timeouts when performing some DNSBL lookups). However, some while ago, I did switch to 1.1 myself; but can't say I've noticed any technical improvements or detriments.
Richard52

Post by Richard52 »

Have now changed DNS Server yet again, this time for OpenDNS Server - just prefer using something other than the Google server - which I was unaware of after the first change.

No real difference between the two, just a personal preference. Still working faultlessy at the moment and am very happy having learned something new today!

Richard
mjs

Post by mjs »

When I at some point needed to (temporarily) use a different DNS Server than my ISP's (so long ago I can't recall why - but it wasn't for accounts in POP Peeper) - I did the same thing (use OpenDNS settings) for the same reason, in order to avoid Google as well. :D
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers