mail.com can't send

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
aguy30

mail.com can't send

Post by aguy30 »

Mail.com can't send anymore and now returned.
Server: smtp.mail.com is ok but mail.mail.com shows unknown when tested. Tried every possible setting for SMTP.
Your Send Mail recommended Settings do not work anymore:
Reply Option: SMTP
Server: smtp.mail.com
SSL is recommended
Port: 25 or 587 (if using SSL: 465)
Server Requires Authentication: Enabled

Message returned SMTP error from remote server for MAIL FROM command, host: hotmail-com.olc.protection.outlook.com (104.47.13.33) reason: 550 5.7.1 Service unavailable, Client host [82.165.159.131] blocked using
Spamhaus. To request removal from this list see https://www.spamhaus.o
rg/query/ip/82.165.159.131 (AS3130). [HE1EUR04FT023.eop-eur04.prod.pro
tection.outlook.com]
Changing my IP doesn't help.
mjs

Re: mail.com can't send

Post by mjs »

How long have you had these mail.com accounts? (any relatively new accounts?)
Have you tried restarting PP? (or rebooting computer?)

Tested all six of my mail.com accounts just now using the following settings and all were able to send successfully.

Outgoing pic-1:
PIC-2 mail dot com outgoing pic1.png
PIC-2 mail dot com outgoing pic1.png (9.81 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
Outgoing pic-2:
PIC-3 mail dot com outgoing pic2.png
PIC-3 mail dot com outgoing pic2.png (10.47 KiB) Viewed 3835 times
Incoming:
PIC-1 mail dot com incoming.png
Other members of the Esumsoft Team may have additional information regarding mail.com accounts as well.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

82.165.159.131 is a gmx.com server -- it is NOT your personal IP address. What the error suggests is that outlook.com is rejecting the email because they use spamhaus DNSBL and one of the mail.com (gmx.com) servers that your email is being routed through is on the blacklist.

In fact, if you open the URL provided in the error, it notes this exact issue, with specific detail regarding gmx (gmx and mail.com are sister companies). It also provides you with the recourse to take. Please open the URL, read it, and follow their advice:
https://www.spamhaus.org/query/ip/82.165.159.131
aguy30

Post by aguy30 »

Multiple old mail.com accounts configured same as yours. All working before, Had this problem for a few months.
All sent to Yahoo mail and hotmail refuse to send but it does send to mail.com
Sent to hotmail is returned about half of the time. The other half disappear.
Sent to Yahoo just disappears without returning. No mail delivery error at mail.com and nothing received at yahoo.
Sent to mail.com-ok
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I sent a test message using the same mail.com smtp server to an outlook.com server and it was received immediately. I then reviewed the email headers, and it did not use the 82.165.159.131 server. I then did some more digging and found this page, which includes the '82' server in the "poor reputation" category:
https://postmaster.gmx.com/en/email-server

These kinds of technicalities are beyond my area of expertise, but if I had to guess, mail.com may have put you on some kind of watch list in which they believe that you're more likely to send out spam; ie. they put you on a "poor reputation" server so that it doesn't affect other users. But, whether that's the case or not, the best solution is going to be to contact them and work with them to figure out what's going on.
aguy30

Post by aguy30 »

I tried sending directly from my mail.com accounts to hotmail and yahoo and also found similar results. Sent info to mail.com but no response yet.

Thanks for the assist.