White space after column headings / Unread count on status bar

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
killme

White space after column headings / Unread count on status bar

Post by killme »

1. Could the white space at the end of the column row or column headers be changed to match the rest of the row? A previous question asked for it to be removed.

I know I can make adjustments to the columns, windows, and dividers to hide this white space, but it has to be pixel-perfect. Too much in one direction adds horizontal scroll bars. Too much in the other direction and you see the white space. There's a lack of flexibility when adjusting the size of the Account List or adjusting the horizontal size of the POP Peeper Window.

I prefer having the extra blank space between the numbers in the "Total" column in the Account List and the characters "Size" column in the Message List from being too close to the border edge.

2. The Unread count in the status bar is unpleasantly close to the line separating the adjoining field. It could use some extra space between the border and the numbers.
poppeeper-white-space-unread-status-bar.gif
mjs

Re: White space after column headings / Unread count on status bar

Post by mjs »

Issue 1: Try doing a right-click on the column headers for both the Accounts pane (left pane) and Message pane (main pane) and selecting the context menu option "Use optimal column sizes" to adjust the column headers to maximize the fit across the two panes.

Issue 2: A code change (POP Peeper update) would be required to accommodate the relatively large number of unread messages.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

killme wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:24 pm Could the white space at the end of the column row or column headers be changed to match the rest of the row? A previous question asked for it to be removed.
For whatever reasons, I could not figure out how to colorize that. However, it may be moot -- if you edit the columns (main menu: Account or Messages / Edit Columns; or via right-click on the appropriate header), there's an "elastic" checkbox that you can apply to one column, and that will use whatever space isn't used by the other columns. By default, "Account" has it on the Accounts list and "Subject" has it on the Messages list. If you resize that column (ie. dragging the divider on the right-side of the column that's "elastic"), then you are hard-setting the width and it loses its elastic property. "Use optimal column sizes", as mjs suggested, also works and resets the elastic setting to the aforementioned columns.

killme wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:24 pm 2. The Unread count in the status bar is unpleasantly close to the line separating the adjoining field. It could use some extra space between the border and the numbers.
The "unread" status width is hard-coded to allow 4 digits (ie. 9999); "total" is 5 digits (99999). I'll look to see if this something that can be dynamically resized.
killme

Post by killme »

mjs wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:53 pm Issue 1: Try doing a right-click on the column headers for both the Accounts pane (left pane) and Message pane (main pane) and selecting the context menu option "Use optimal column sizes" to adjust the column headers to maximize the fit across the two panes.
Thank you for the suggestion. It doesn't work that well. When I select "Use optimal column sizes" it changes the "Unread" column to fit 3 digits and the Total column to fit 4 digits. I guess it's not dynamic based on the number of digits it needs to show.

If I enable all the columns in Account List (which I never do, I just wanted to try it out) I found that it's really cramped and the divider between the Account List and Message List can only be moved so far to the right. Might be a non-issue because who enables all the columns.
Jeff wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:06 pm For whatever reasons, I could not figure out how to colorize that. However, it may be moot -- if you edit the columns (main menu: Account or Messages / Edit Columns; or via right-click on the appropriate header), there's an "elastic" checkbox that you can apply to one column, and that will use whatever space isn't used by the other columns. By default, "Account" has it on the Accounts list and "Subject" has it on the Messages list. If you resize that column (ie. dragging the divider on the right-side of the column that's "elastic"), then you are hard-setting the width and it loses its elastic property. "Use optimal column sizes", as mjs suggested, also works and resets the elastic setting to the aforementioned columns.
I forgot about that "Elastic" feature. That does help get the columns properly sized when adjusting the size of the POP Peeper window.
Jeff wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:06 pm The "unread" status width is hard-coded to allow 4 digits (ie. 9999); "total" is 5 digits (99999). I'll look to see if this something that can be dynamically resized.
Hard-coded could work as well. It looks like there is plenty of space on that status bar to hard code a few extra digits and still have it look nice. Hopefully, I won't end up with over 100K total messages and run out of display space in the Total field, too.

Thank you guys for the quick response. I guess I keep a lot of emails, eh?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

killme wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:25 pm Thank you for the suggestion. It doesn't work that well. When I select "Use optimal column sizes" it changes the "Unread" column to fit 3 digits and the Total column to fit 4 digits. I guess it's not dynamic based on the number of digits it needs to show.
I had to look at the code to remind myself, but it basically uses a predetermined width (e.g. to fit 3 digits like you said) and then adjusts the width based on the font and DPI that you're using. I've added a note to myself that some of the columns could consider the actual text; and I think that would make it more useful.
killme wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:25 pm If I enable all the columns in Account List (which I never do, I just wanted to try it out) I found that it's really cramped and the divider between the Account List and Message List can only be moved so far to the right. Might be a non-issue because who enables all the columns.
Many of the columns in the Account List are redundant to allow the user to choose how the data is displayed:
- Total (Unread)
- Unread
- Total
- Unread (Total)

4 options, but only 2 distinct pieces of data.

killme wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:25 pm I guess I keep a lot of emails, eh?
I haven't said a thing about your number of unread messages. I have over 2000 "unread" messages myself... But, yes, over 10K is undeniably too many :mrgreen:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There are a couple relevant changes in the next update (v5.1.4, or it may be v5.2):
- The "unread" and "total" panes on the status bar allow for an extra digit. In my tests, this allowed "999999" (< 1 million) for unread and "9999999" (< 10 million) for total to fit, even if it's a little tight:

PP_StatusBar_ToTheNines.png
PP_StatusBar_ToTheNines.png (1.83 KiB) Viewed 3309 times

- Only for the main "inbox" list, when "use optimal column sizes", the "account", "date/time" and "size" columns will consider the current data *. The "account" column may become smaller/larger to fit short/long account names, but "date and size" will only allow the widths to become larger. I decided that other columns (like "sender") could cause egregiously large widths, so they're not affected.

* this isn't perfect -- if you have an extra long account name that doesn't have any messages listed, it won't be considered in calculating the optimal width.