Testing on Windows 11

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
pop_pepper

Testing on Windows 11

Post by pop_pepper »

hi there, I am doing some testing of my own on windows 11 and was wondering if there was any known issues. obviously i am considering using Win 11 when it comes out fully but for now using an evaluation copy and thought i'd try pop peeper to see if works and it seems to very well. the only thing ive seen thats puzzled me is the RSS adding, it seems to be different.

best wishes
mjs

Re: Testing on Windows 11

Post by mjs »

If you are speaking of the format of the initial "New Account: Method" Interface; as of POP Peeper v5; the "Create Single Account" option (which, besides email account creation, is where to create a new RSS feed) has now been moved to the top of the Interface (essentially switching positions with "Import Accounts" option, that has been moved to the bottom, of this Interface).

If this is not what you are referring to, please provide more specifics - thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

Hi, I was just wondering if they’d been any changes or if there was any known issues before I decide to go onto the windows 11 platform completely . The only issue I came across was some difficulty starting a RSS account but I did manage to put one on. The only other issue I found was putting in my serial number for the plus pack, three attempts until finally it went in. I’m not saying these issues are what other users may find, they may not find any as I’m not that great with computers.

Thanks anyway
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Can you be any more specific about the problems that you had with either RSS or activation?

As for Win11 in general -- unfortunately, my computer (4790K, a few generations out from what they support; but more importantly, no tpm) isn't compatible with Win11 and so I haven't been able to test it myself. Someone else has reported that it works. My biggest concern with Win11 was that they would remove Internet Explorer and thus being able to view HTML wouldn't work; but that is apparently not the case.
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

they haven't got internet explorer, they have Microsoft edge now. i think they had that since Win 10

as you know it was the big release of Windows 11 yesterday and like you i have a few laptop and computers that are not quite up to the standard they have set, although the bar on what it works on is lower than you think. reinstalling is always a pain for me because i use a lot of software for my work. Lots of chat applications to talk to colleagues and such. so far however they all seem to work.

as for the rss issue its ok it seems to work, i think on my initial load of it the PC wasn't quite handling the improved graphics of Windows 11 and was cutting corners, also my plus pack acted up and i had to put my serial in three times which may explain why it didn't work, when i thought i had activated it, it hadn't.
mjs

Post by mjs »

pop_pepper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:35 am they haven't got internet explorer, they have Microsoft edge now. i think they had that since Win 10
Jeff is referring to IE emulation that PP uses to render HTML (the setting can be found at: "Tools">"PPtweaker" then select the "Troubleshooting" page - as illustrated in the screen-shot below)
Click on image to enlarge for better viewing (use browser back-page will return to forum topic)
Click on image to enlarge for better viewing (use browser back-page will return to forum topic)
pop_pepper wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:35 am ... my plus pack acted up and i had to put my serial in three times which may explain why it didn't work, when i thought i had activated it, it hadn't.
Did you enter the correct "License Key" to activate the "Plus Pack" on the first two attempts?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

My computers don't have tpm 2.0, which is required for Win11. From what I understand, pre-built's have been including tpm for several years, but those of us who like to piece our computer's together aren't so lucky (to age myself: the first and last pre-built I bought was a Tandy 1000 RLX).

I did download the Win11 iso yesterday and tried to install it in a Virtual Machine and, sure enough, it simply states that it doesn't meet the requirements. I did find a script on github to bypass the requirements, although it seems to be geared more for upgrading rather than a fresh install (which would be more ideal for a VM); I'll look into that more when I have time.
mjs

Post by mjs »

My Win10 laptop (an upgrade from Win8) doesn't have a compatible TPM either (curiosity got the best of me, so finally checked to see regardless that I'm not interested in Win11).