Downloading Entire Email

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Rakdan

Downloading Entire Email

Post by Rakdan »

I a using version 5.1.2.0.
I am downloading messages with IMAP.
I have my default retrieval options set to download the entire message.
In PPTweaker, I also have checked the option to automatically retrieve the message when I view the header.
I think that I also have some option set that does not mark a message as read until I open it, but I cannot find where that option is.
I want to be able to read messages at a later time when I do not have internet access, but,when I tried that recently, the
messages were not fully retrieved.
I know specifically that the pictures did not load.
I don't know if other things loaded or not, but there was definitely not enough information there for me to make sense of the emails.
Is this normal? Is there no way for me to review messages without internet access?
I don't know what viewing the header means, but it seems that my entire messages are not downloaded as per the option that I selected.
I also don't understand why I need an option to automatically retrieve the message when I view the header if I already have it set to
download the entire message.

Thanks for your help with this.

Jeff
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Downloading Entire Email

Post by Jeff »

Rakdan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:57 pm I know specifically that the pictures did not load.
I don't know if other things loaded or not, but there was definitely not enough information there for me to make sense of the emails.
Is this normal? Is there no way for me to review messages without internet access?
My presumption is that the message contains remote images -- these are images that are not directly included with the message; they are stored on a server and can only be accessed with an active internet connection. This is most common with newsletters.

If you don't see a yellow banner at the top of the message when viewed in PP that says something like "click here to retrieve the entire message", then you already have the entire message and my previous statement applies. If you do have that, then there may be some specific reasons why PP didn't download the entire message as requested, but let's only discuss that if that's actually what's happening.

Rakdan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:57 pm I think that I also have some option set that does not mark a message as read until I open it, but I cannot find where that option is.
The closest option I can think of makes it so that you have to manually mark the message as read; else it stays as unread even when opened (ah, I guess the wording of the option does make it closer to what you said):
main menu: Tools / PPtweaker / Misc
- "Mark message as read when opened (disabled requires you to manually mark as read)"
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

So, it sounds like my options automatically download the entire message when I open the email, so I will never get the prompt to download the entire message.
Unless there is a setting to let me download the entire message without opening the email, it seems that the only way to review my emails offline (since virtually every email is unreadable without downloading everything) is to open every message and then mark it as unread while I have internet access, and then go to the remote location to work - rather cumbersome. Is there a better way?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just to make sure that we're on the same page (and, frankly, this could just be a technical detail that you don't care about), but this statement:
Rakdan wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:48 pm Unless there is a setting to let me download the entire message without opening the email,
is a little too vague for me to provide a sufficient reply; and the behavior that you're describing may be one of two things.

1) POP Peeper still has to download the entire message
or
2) POP Peeper is *caching* the remote images while you're online, and you're able to still view them while offline.

If #1 is happening, that's something we can do something about. If #2 is happening, then there's not -- if there are *remote* images, then those images are not technically part of the "entire" email (as far as the email "source" is concerned, which is what my definition is and therefore the definition that is used by PP).

As I was thinking about it, the idea of pre-caching images isn't even very practical because that could result in triggering web beacons to let the sender know that you've opened the message. So -- sorry to say -- but opening the messages to cache the images while online so that they can be viewed offline is probably your best and only option.