PP forwards HTML e-mail as plain text

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
rgordon

PP forwards HTML e-mail as plain text

Post by rgordon »

Running PP 5.5.2 and Thunrderbird 91.3.2 on Windows 10. When I open an HTML-formatted message in PP and click on Reply -> Forward, the forwarding message is opened in Thunderbird as a text message. However, if I open an HTML-formatted message in Thunderbird and click on Forward, the HTML formatting is preserved in the forwarding e-mail message. Is there a way I can open an HTML message in PP (which ends up being opened in Thunderbird) preserving the original HTML formatting? I've hunted around for options and can't find any.

:?:

Rob
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: PP forwards HTML e-mail as plain text

Post by Jeff »

If you were using PP to send the email, I would recommend using the "forward as attachment" method, which would retain the HTML format. POP Peeper doesn't currently support HTML in sending, so that's really the only way to do that right now.

As for sending to an external email client, I think that the best way will be to open the message in TB and then use it to reply. However, POP Peeper does provide a way that makes this more convenient compared to what you're probably doing now:

When you view a message in PP, under the "File" menu is "Open Message in Client"; assuming you've set the email client to TB in PP, this will open the message. That's the first major step to making this more convenient (as opposed to having to open TB, download the messages, find the right message and open it)

But another way to make this more convenient is to add the "Open message in client" to the toolbar. There's not a default button, which means you'll have to use the "add your own button" method as described here:
https://www.esumsoft.com/pop-peeper/ref ... tom-icons/

The ID for "open email client" is 33423, so the filename of the bitmap would be:
Msg_33423_Client.bmp
(you can change the "client" text to whatever, but it should be short else the button will be very large)

Let me know if that's something you think would be helpful or not, or if you need any further help with creating the toolbar button.
rgordon

Post by rgordon »

Jeff: Thanks for your reply. The reason I sometimes forward e-mail directly from PP is that it's not something I would keep in TB so I forward it and delete it all within PP.
I never noticed "Open e-mail in client" on the File menu; I think that will do the trick for me. Thanks again for your help. I'll see if I can create a toolbar button for that.

Rob
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

If you're forwarding for the sake of preservation, there's a better method for that, which would be to move the message to another folder. PP-Pro would be necessary to move messages and currently you can only move messages within the same account *; although it will be improved in the future to move messages between accounts.

* Technically, it is currently possible to move messages to another account, it's just not greatly convenient; but in case you or anyone else has the notion:
1) Archive the message you want to move
2) main menu: View / Explore -> Archive folder
3) Find the message you just saved (sort by date/time) and drag that message onto PP's account window
4) Select the account and folder
5) Press Upload

Note that there are other ways to perform steps 2-3, such as using PP main menu: File / Upload messages.