hotmail account issue

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

hotmail account issue

Post by bbqbrisket »

I keep getting the following message on one of my Hotmail accounts.
This does not happen on any of the other accounts I have: This has been going on all day for the last 10 hours.
Any idea on how to fix this problem? Or even what it means?
thanks
n shearer

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 5.2.2.0
Webmail: 5.1.0.0
SSL: 1.1.1.7
IMAP: 5.2.2.0
SendMail: 5.2.2.0
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification ScreenSaver: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 5.2.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Snarl: 1.0.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Spell Checker: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
Web of Trust: 4.5.0.0 (disabled)
PPTweaker: 5.2.2.0
Updater: 1.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Users\Lenove\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

--- Error ---
55 [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 0] [consec: 24]
- Error (Request is throttled. Suggested Backoff Time: 212709 milliseconds)
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-12-25 at 07-31-33 Outlook.png
Screenshot 2021-12-25 at 07-31-33 Outlook.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
mjs

Re: hotmail account issue

Post by mjs »

Have you tried re-authorizing PP (edit account and select the Oauth2 option on left side of interface to reset Oauth2) for this account?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Hi,
Yes
I keep getting the attached error
Edited screen-shot to ensure privacy
Edited screen-shot to ensure privacy
Last edited by mjs on Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited post to ensure privacy
mjs

Post by mjs »

Try this to see what results you get:
1) Edit the account.
2) If you get the prompt asking "Do you want to enable Oauth2 for this account?" - Respond with "No" to the prompt.
3) From the top-right option (directly below the color indicator for the account) you should see "Oauth2" [selected] - click to get drop-down options and select "Password".
4) Enter your correct password for this account in the Accounts Password prompt.
5) Click the "Update" button.

Test account regarding this issue to see if this makes a difference (we are disabling [cancelling] Oauth2 [to test for] which Outlook.com does not require).
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

I don't seem to get an option to that; it seemed to automatically come up with Oauth2 without the ability to change. I have to accept, close app and re-login to edit so that it will take the password.
Anyway, I tried that yesterday and it didn't work which is why I kept having the problem.
However, I just deleted the acct and again and re created it and for some bizzare reason it works.
Norm
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:28 am I don't seem to get an option to that; it seemed to automatically come up with Oauth2 without the ability to change. I have to accept, close app and re-login to edit so that it will take the password.
For PP version 5.2.2, you should have the (drop-down) option to select "Oauth2" or "Password" for that button (referenced in point #3 in my previous post). In any event, absent that option, all you would need to do is to start the Oauth2 reset procedure and then cancel (abort) the Oauth2 process w/out continuing on and then make sure you have entered your current password in the Password prompt before updating the account (this approach, used prior to v5.2.2, would effectively "cancel" Oauth2 and instead use your password).
bbqbrisket wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:28 am However, I just deleted the acct and again and re created it and for some bizzare reason it works.
Norm
Good news! :D - so I'm assuming that the Oauth2 setting is now working for IMAP now.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

bbqbrisket wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 4:38 pm --- Error ---
55 [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 0] [consec: 24]
- Error (Request is throttled. Suggested Backoff Time: 212709 milliseconds)
Glad it's working again. Just a couple things to point out:
The above information suggests that Oauth2 was not previously enabled. So I suspect you were using the password method. Maybe the password was wrong?

Regarding the error text: "Request is throttled. Suggested Backoff Time: 212709 milliseconds" -- this text comes from Outlook. I suspect that they detected continuous errors (at least 24 in a row, according to PP's stats) and were simply ignoring any other attempts until you slowed down the attempts. 212709ms is about 3.5 minutes, but that was probably just the current cycle and presumably started higher than that (ie. at least 5 minutes, but maybe longer) before they would allow you to attempt to access even if you provided the correct credentials to login.
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

See here below. I get this reset every time for a few weeks now. I cannot find any other ways to redo the login. I can login to outlook fine. It has a few questions like MS is selling features when I log onto the web but I get to the mail.
Can't figure this one out. Been using Oauth2 since it became available or when I created the account whichever was first...
--- Version ---
RSS: 5.0.0.0
Notification Voice: 5.0.0.0
Profile Picture: 5.2.2.0
AntiJunk: 5.2.2.0
Spell Checker: 5.2.2.0
Trusted Sites: 5.2.2.0
Sent Mail Viewer: 5.0.0.0
PPbackup: 5.0.0.0
PPextras: 5.0.0.0

Program folder: C:\Intel\POP Peeper\
Data folder: C:\Intel\POP Peeper\data\

--- Error ---
mb364dfOL [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 1] [consec: 1]
- (User is authenticated but not connected.) -- OAuth2: You may need to re-allow POP Peeper access. Press the 'Reset' link below or edit the account and re-select 'OAuth2' from the dropdown to re-authorize. Reset Oauth2: pp://OAuth2?bWIzNjRkZk9M
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

We can try backing up a step, then. Disable Oauth2 like mjs mentioned (change the "Oauth2" dropdown to "password"). Then, make sure that you have the correct password. If you've enabled 2FA (aka 2-factor/step authorization/verification), then you need to use an app-specific password:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/acc ... f2979a7944
If you don't, then just re-type (or "confirm") your current password (which could very well be blank if you've been using Oauth2, and that might explain why you were getting errors before since PP wasn't using Oauth2 based on your first error report).
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

I can try the password steps again. Not sure what would be different.

Can you explain your comments? " might explain why you were getting errors before since PP wasn't using Oauth2 based on your first error report)."

This account has never NOT used Oauth2. I have not enabled the dual auth 2 step verification on the account. I do not have a cell phone.
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

This is the message when password is selected. "Authenticated not connected."
--- Version ---

--- Error ---
mb364dfOL [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 0] [consec: 1]
- (User is authenticated but not connected.)

This is the message after setting it back to Oauth2.
--- Version ---

--- Error ---
mb364dfOL [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 1] [consec: 1]
- (User is authenticated but not connected.) -- OAuth2: You may need to re-allow POP Peeper access. Press the 'Reset' link below or edit the account and re-select 'OAuth2' from the dropdown to re-authorize. Reset Oauth2: pp://OAuth2?bWIzNjRkZk9M

Ont he ol.com web site when I select -do not keep me logged in- I also notice a long, more than a minute delay. If I clear my cache and log onto the web page and select -Keep me logged in- it logs in within seconds. Is there a time-out that Microsoft changed to irritate PP as a third party app?

Also noting that it is only on this particular account. The other outlook and hotmail accounts continue to work as expected on the imap Oauth2 18 minute check mail interval.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

tjpsnj wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:00 am Can you explain your comments? " might explain why you were getting errors before since PP wasn't using Oauth2 based on your first error report)."

This account has never NOT used Oauth2. I have not enabled the dual auth 2 step verification on the account. I do not have a cell phone.
In your original error report, it says: "oauth: 0" -- this means that oauth2 is disabled (else it'd be 1). Maybe you had been testing and had disabled it for that run, but it's moot since you've confirmed that it's a problem in either case.

But with that, I'm not sure there's anything else you can try in PP as it's likely a problem specific with your account that only MS can fix. One last resort is to try using POP3 instead of IMAP.

Ok, one more long-shot idea: Try changing your password in your Outlook account (and update accordingly in PP, ie. reset and reauthorize Oauth2 after changing the password).
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

I will try to change the password. Reluctant to do that as on a gmail account I changed it required a cell phone number. Access is blocked for that account. It still receives mail as I do not get a fail message, but I cannot login. Not your problem but frustrating. I only have a land line as my employer owns the cell I use.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You can get a google voice phone number for free and it will allow you to get text messages. Just go to voice.google.com while logged into your preferred google account and you should be able to set that up.
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

I am back from the holiday and changed my password. Same thing. (User is authenticated but not connected.)
Even if I set it as password only and let it run one time. (User is authenticated but not connected.)

I'm stumped. What is the not connected connection? 993, 587? Its defender firewall on here and the other outlook accounts work fine.
Is there a verbose log I can turn on? Or maybe I have not located? The error shows up in the windows notification pop out. But once you touch it is gone. Will this be in a WER archive similar to an app crash?

If all else has failed are there steps to completely delete the account from Pop Peeper and eliminate the app as allowed in the outlook web page? I realize the mail will be gone but I can take a look if there is something I really need before I rip it out.

--- Version ---

--- Error ---
XXXXXXXXX [1000: IMAP] ['imap.outlook.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp-mail.outlook.com' (587) SSL: 2] [oauth: 1] [consec: 35]
Last edited by mjs on Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited Error data for ensure privacy
mjs

Post by mjs »

So you changed the password for the account on the web and then reset and reauthorize Oauth2 after changing the password? And when doing this did you get an "Authentication successful" dialog at the end of the Oauth2 procedure?

Have you tried changing your protocol from IMAP to POP3?

As far as deleting the account in PP (by doing a right-click on account and selecting "Delete") - as long as the accounts messages remain on the the respective server the messages will once again be retrieved by PP after adding the account back. That said, doing this may not help anyway as there may be an IMAP problem specific to MS regarding this account.

If all else fails, you could try the Contact Microsoft Support page.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The problem is not on POP Peeper's end, so going to extremes to delete the PP-account or anything else wouldn't have a direct effect. The error is specific to Outlook and is at best vague and at worst nonsensical; but most likely, the "not connected" is referring to something in Outlook's back-end (obviously PP is connected or else you wouldn't see the error).

There are plenty of references to this error on the web, and the most likely explanations (aka guesses) are:
- It's a Microsoft-Imap bug that suggests the username is correct but the password is incorrect
- It's a method for Microsoft to limit activity. e.g. if you have multiple clients trying to access the same account, or even a single client trying to do too much in an amount of time

As mentioned, trying POP3 is your next best alternative and contacting MS support.
tjpsnj

Post by tjpsnj »

Ah. Good ol' Microsoft. I buy that as the best explanation. It is happening with one of my MS mail accounts.
As 11 rolls out it looks like you are required to use email as a user. Lately they are trying to squeeze phone numbers out of users too.
I haven't tried PoP.
Today the message has not returned since I reset this morning.
Thanks again.
Not sure how I would live without PP after what 16 maybe 18 years... My folder is approaching 2GB.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, hopefully it continues to work!

In regards to the "limiting activity" -- make sure that the "IDLE/Push" option is enabled under edit-account / general. This allows POP Peeper to remain connected to the server and is much more efficient than polling every X minutes. Idle is enabled by default.

Your mentioning of 2GB leads me to another idea: it would be an excellent idea to move old messages out of your inbox into another folder -- this could very well be a contributing factor to the problem. It's not really the message *size*, but the *number* of messages. Every message in your inbox adds an amount of extra data/resources required by the server when PP needs to check messages (this is mitigated by using idle, but not completely exempt).