Sound notification

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Decopi

Sound notification

Post by Decopi »

Hi,

This week I moved from Windows 10 to Windows 11, and I'm using the latest Pop Peeper.

At Pop Peeper => "Tools" menu => "Options" => "Notification", I have "a single sound played" for new email.
Unfortunately, it doesn't work when my screen (display) is turn off (at my Windows power options, the turn off display is set to 15 minutes). My Windows also needs user password to turn on the display again, and only when I do the new login that Pop Peeper starts again to notify me new emails with a sound.

I had not this issue on my Windows 10, where Pop Peeper always was notifying me with sounds, even when my display was turn off.

Any help will be more than welcome.

Thank you in advance!
mjs

Re: Sound notification

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum Decopi,

I know virtually nothing regarding Win11 myself unfortunately - Jeff will be checking on the forum today and will get back to you on this.

While you wait - have you tried to "troubleshoot" sound (the screen-shot is for Win10 under "Settings">"Sound" - Win11 is likely similar):
Hopefully by trying "Trouble Shoot" you will be provided with some suggestions (i.e. changing settings, updating sound drivers etc.)
Hopefully by trying "Trouble Shoot" you will be provided with some suggestions (i.e. changing settings, updating sound drivers etc.)
Also, we recommend those new to the forum to take a look at this "Announcements" sticky when you have the time: Information for new users & forum members to serve as a general guide/introduction to the Esumsoft Forums.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Decopi

Post by Decopi »

mjs wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:27 pm Welcome to the forum Decopi,

I know virtually nothing regarding Win11 myself unfortunately - Jeff will be checking on the forum today and will get back to you on this.

While you wait - have you tried to "troubleshoot" sound (the screen-shot is for Win10 under "Settings">"Sound" - Win11 is likely similar): Trouble-shoot Windows Sound.png

Also, we recommend those new to the forum to take a look at this "Announcements" sticky when you have the time: Information for new users & forum members to serve as a general guide/introduction to the Esumsoft Forums.
Hi mjs,

I confirm you, this is not a Windows 11 sound/audio problem.

I believe this issue has two possibilities:
1) Something related to Pop Peeper
or
2) Some Windows 11 settings related to notifications on lock screen or sign-in screen

I tried all the changes and tweaks related to "2", and no results.

Hope someone has a workaround.
It was working perfectly at my Windows 10.

Thank you anyway!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There's a setting in POP Peeper that you can set so that PP won't play sounds when there's a full-screen window detected, and that may be getting triggered.

So, first check if this option is active:
1) PP main menu: Tools / PPtweaker
2) Select the "Misc 2" page
3) At the top is the relevant option: "detect full-screen apps on new mail event"
The default is "sound only; no popups" -- and this would allow sound to work; if you have it set to "No sounds; no popups" then try changing it.

If this is the problem, then you might check to see if you have a screensaver enabled, as this could also trigger the full-screen detection.

Next possibility: are you sure that your computer isn't going to sleep/hibernation, as opposed to just turning off the display?

Next: try (temporarily) disabling the login requirement just to see if that makes a difference.

Some other brainstorms:
- It's possible that the login prompt might mute or block background processes. Unfortunately, I don't have Win11 to test this.
- If you're playing music, does it continue to play when your display turns off?
- The PP "Chime" plugin can be set to play a sound every 1 minute. If you get new email before the 15 minutes, and hear the minutely chime, does the chime continue after your display turns off?
Decopi

Post by Decopi »

Jeff wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:32 pm There's a setting in POP Peeper that you can set so that PP won't play sounds when there's a full-screen window detected, and that may be getting triggered.

So, first check if this option is active:
1) PP main menu: Tools / PPtweaker
2) Select the "Misc 2" page
3) At the top is the relevant option: "detect full-screen apps on new mail event"
The default is "sound only; no popups" -- and this would allow sound to work; if you have it set to "No sounds; no popups" then try changing it.

If this is the problem, then you might check to see if you have a screensaver enabled, as this could also trigger the full-screen detection.

Next possibility: are you sure that your computer isn't going to sleep/hibernation, as opposed to just turning off the display?

Next: try (temporarily) disabling the login requirement just to see if that makes a difference.

Some other brainstorms:
- It's possible that the login prompt might mute or block background processes. Unfortunately, I don't have Win11 to test this.
- If you're playing music, does it continue to play when your display turns off?
- The PP "Chime" plugin can be set to play a sound every 1 minute. If you get new email before the 15 minutes, and hear the minutely chime, does the chime continue after your display turns off?
Thank you Jeff for your complete answer.

At PP main menu: Tools / PPtweaker => "Misc 2" => "detect full-screen apps on new mail event" => The selected option is the default "sound only; no popups"... so this seems not to be the problem.

Hibernation is off in my Windows settings. And Sleep is only after 120 minutes. The issue I reported appears after 15 minutes, when my screen/display is off... so hibernation/sleep also seem not to be the problem.

I will test all the rest of the options you suggested, and I'll be back with the results.
Thank you once again!
Decopi

Post by Decopi »

Hi Jeff,

After many days testing, I don't have a final conclusion.
Unfortunately I don't have a clear description and understating about what's going on.

In one hand, for my surprise, sometimes the sound notification started to work (when screen/display off is enabled).
But sometimes is not working, and I don't know why nor when nor how.

When is not working, sometimes the sound notification appears only after screen/display on.
But sometimes after screen/display on, the sound notification doesn't work, even when Pop Peeper icon is showing new emails.

I also discovered that sometimes the screen/display off is affecting the wi-fi connection, so this may interfere with Pop Peeper notification.

Disabling the windows login doesn't make difference.
If the screen/display off is enabled, then the Pop Peeper sound notification becomes inconstant (at least for my Windows 11).

A played music continues to play when screen/display is off.

When screen/display is off, the PP "Chime" plugin sometimes work, and sometimes doesn't work.

Sorry, I can't give you a clear position about the issue.

But thank you anyway for your great help!

PS: My Windows 11 has several privacy tweaks at registry level and Group Policy. Some of these tweaks are related to notifications (blocking app notifications etc). So, this also might be another source of conflict with Pop Peeper.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

One other idea is to check the power-savings features of some of the devices (like wifi) in Device Manager and see if disabling that would help?

Sorry, without being able to see it myself and tinker with things, I'm not sure what else to suggest; the behavior seems pretty unusual. I'd probably find a general Windows forum and see if this is a common problem and if there are any solutions.