Gmail - setting up access to remote folders

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
killme

Gmail - setting up access to remote folders

Post by killme »

I'm using POP Peeper Pro v5.2.2 with Plus Pack
I followed the instructions for IMAP Access to Remote Folders (Spam, Trash, custom) { setup

When I click IMAP Folders on the duplicate account I receive the following error:

Code: Select all

Login Error ([ALERT]) Application-specific password required:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833 Failure) --
When I click IMAP Folders on the original account I receive the following error:

Code: Select all

Login Error (Empty username or password. 7mb29716755ybr) --
The random characters at the end change each time.

I assume the instructions I'm following do not account for Oauth2.
I can type Spam in the box Folder for the duplicate account and it works fine. So I guess I need to log in to my Gmail account using a browser to see what folders I have and manually type them into POP Peeper. Or is there another way?
mjs

Re: Gmail - setting up access to remote folders

Post by mjs »

When you click on the IMAP Folders button you should get this Interface (automatically populated w/ the accounts folders as illustrated in the screen-shot):
My results when clicking on the "IMAP Folders" button in the Account "Edit" Interface
My results when clicking on the "IMAP Folders" button in the Account "Edit" Interface
I'm not sure why your getting these errors. This is what I get (screen-shot above) after clicking on the "IMAP Folders" button - I would suggest you wait for Jeff to look over this later today.

Addendum: This probably won't help - but have you tried rebooting?
Last edited by mjs on Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited to add "Addendum" comment
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I followed the instructions from the forum post and it worked fine (note: I don't actually recommend this method, as creating folders directly from the original account is more straight-forward).

That being said, when you click on "IMAP folders" it's going to use the same login credentials as what would/will be used when it logs in to check for mail, so the fact that it wouldn't work for "imap folders" but would work for a regular checkmail doesn't seem logical. Did you change the credentials? Did you try using "imap folders" again -- just to see if it worked -- after you were able to access the 'spam' folder?

As for Oauth2, when you duplicate an account, that setting ("password" or "oauth2") will transfer. The actual Oauth2 credentials are not account-specific, they are login name-specific. So as long as you have 2+ accounts using the same "login name", they will all use the same Oauth2-credentials (assuming they're all set to use "Oauth2").

One possibility -- if the original account's oauth2 credentials had been reset just prior to following the create-folder instructions, then I can see this scenario happening as you described.

btw, you may want to make sure that your duplicated accounts are set to use Oauth2 and not password.
killme

Re: Gmail - setting up access to remote folders - solved

Post by killme »

Thank you for your reply. I got it working now.

I have several Gmail accounts and the others all work and show my folders when I click "IMAP Folders".

For the problematic Gmail account, I changed it from Oauth2 to Password and then back to Oauth2 so I could reauthorize it. When my Chrome browser opened automatically, it was trying to authenticate with a different Gmail account and I did not see a way to switch to another one.

I went back to PP and chose "Embedded browser" which let me log in to the correct Gmail account.

After reauthorizing my account, it's now working just like the instructions said.

Thanks again. :D
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I have a vague recollection that there may be a limit to the number of logins that Gmail allows you to have at one time. It's possible that you may have to sign out of one to add another one.

Glad it's all working now, though.

tip: you don't necessarily have to switch to password and back to oauth2 -- even if Oauth2 is already selected, you can just re-select Oauth2 and it will give you the prompt to reset.
lwc

Post by lwc »

Jeff wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:31 pm
killme wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:54 am I'm using POP Peeper Pro v5.2.2 with Plus Pack
I followed the instructions for IMAP Access to Remote Folders (Spam, Trash, custom) { setup
I have a vague recollection that there may be a limit to the number of logins that Gmail allows you to have at one time. It's possible that you may have to sign out of one to add another one.
From Gmail's support page:
Too many simultaneous connections wrote: You can only use 15 IMAP connections per account. If you have many email clients getting messages from Gmail at the same time, you may see the "Too many simultaneous connections" error.

If you use multiple email clients or devices for the same Gmail account, try closing or signing out of some.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That is probably what I was thinking of. But I wouldn't expect that to have an effect on the number of logins that a webbrowser can have, which is more along the lines of what I was thinking about. ie. the list of accounts that Google shows when you click on your account icon on the top-right of a signed-in google page.