Unicode

Posts regarding Translations for POP Peeper
Matthew Wai

Unicode

Post by Matthew Wai »

I think PPLC does not support unicode. My OS is in traditional Chinese, simplified Chinese characters will become junk on PPLC, although the "Language for non-Unicode programs" has been set as simplified Chinese. I must resort to a text editor which cannot retrieve the English text from PPLC.

If it is easy to make it support unicode, then do it. If not, then forget it, as the text editor serves as an expedient.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Unicode

Post by Jeff »

PPLC, just like PP, does not support Unicode. I didn't consider this before, but if you use a text editor to make the translations, then it won't work because it sounds like you will be saving the file in Unicode -- which PP won't understand.

I just ran a test -- using Windows set to use "language for non-Unicode..." in Chinese-simplified, I created 2 plf files. I translated the word "test" into simplified and traditional and used it for "Check Mail." I then restarted Windows using Chinese-traditional. Upon re-opening each file in PPLC, they looked completely different than when using simplified. I then did the same thing going from traditional->simplified -- same issue.

The moral of the story is -- if you're translating for Simplified Chinese, you need to have the "language for non-Unicode programs" set to Simplified Chinese.

I sincerely apologize for this and I hope you haven't done much work. I'm going to email you about this, too.
Matthew Wai

Re: Unicode

Post by Matthew Wai »

Jeff wrote:it won't work because it sounds like you will be saving the file in Unicode -- which PP won't understand.
You may click here to download the incomplete simplified Chinese translation in plf, which can be displayed properly on both PPLC and POP Peeper on my end. All translation was done by my text editor instead of PPLC, where simplified Chinese characters would still become junk although "Language for non-Unicode programs" had already been set as simplified Chinese in the first place.
Jeff wrote:The moral of the story is -- if you're translating for Simplified Chinese, you need to have the "language for non-Unicode programs" set to Simplified Chinese.
I did it long before you told me. However, it works only on my text editor but not on PPLC, which is useless to me.