Re: Chinese characters

Post by Jeff »

The download link to 5003 is in this post:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

POP Peeper, Misc Text:
ID 200 Speech. Is "Speech" a button? Will POP Peeper speak when the button is pressed?
ID 202 Windows Dark/Light. Does "Windows" refer to Microsoft Windows? Does "Dark/Light" refer to colour tones?

Validation does not work in 5003 either.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

ID 200 Speech. Is "Speech" a button? Will POP Peeper speak when the button is pressed?
Misc/200 is used for menu titles. The Plus Pack provides speech notifications.
ID 202 Windows Dark/Light. Does "Windows" refer to Microsoft Windows? Does "Dark/Light" refer to colour tones?
Yes to both. Windows 10 has an option that allows Apps to use a Dark mode; that setting only applies to UWP apps (which PP is not), but PP honors that when the "Windows Dark/Light" theme is enabled.

Validation does not work in 5003 either.
How do you mean? It seems to work here in my testing (forgive the lack of switching to Chinese for this test):
PPLC_ChineseValidation.png
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

The updated Chinese.plf is available here. All in 5003 has been translated.

On Windows, Validation "Encountered an improper argument" and showed nothing.
Validation fails.jpg

Ironically, it works via Wine on Linux.
What does "Duplicate & Character" mean? I found nothing wrong with them.
Validation works on Linux.png
Moshe

Post by Moshe »

Hello Matthew,

The Validation works for me on Windows 7.
What does "Duplicate & Character" mean?
You have assigned "&" to the same character more than once in a specific dialog/menu.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Validation does not work on my Windows 10 Version 1809 (OS Build 17763.107) 32-bit, installed a few days ago in VirtualBox.
I don't understand what is wrong with "&". Should I delete "&" from the following Chinese translations?

POP Peeper. Menu Text.
33536 Use &optimal column sizes
33536 使用&最适当的栏位大小

32828 Select &font...
32828 选择&字体...
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

It's never been a problem before, so not sure why it'd be a problem now, but I'll have to see if there's perhaps a problem when using Chinese (for non-unicode) with the validation.

The '&' character denotes characters that can be used for keyboard shortcuts. For example, in English, a very common shortcut is Alt+f, X -- this commonly exits the program; but only if the program is set up that way. That is:
Alt+F access the 'File' menu (but only if the ampersand appears before the 'F' -- &File)
Pressing 'X' will activate the hotkey where the ampersand appears before the letter 'x' -- E&xit

Windows will underline the hotkey in menus.

So what PPLC is telling you is that you have 2 items within the same menu that are using the same character for the hotkey.

In the example above, if I had another menu item: e&xport -- 2 menu items would share the same 'x' hotkey. Someone trying to "exit" the program may instead get the "export" command (or someone trying to "export" may "exit"). Very bad.

So the solution it to remove/move the '&' in one of the two items that PPLC has flagged that share the same character that comes after the '&'.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pmremove/move the '&' in one of the two items that PPLC has flagged that share the same character that comes after the '&'.
Done in this Chinese.plf file (click to download).
In the readme.html file, it says "-Duplicate & Character: This is for menus. You have 2 or more menu items that have the same shortcut key." You may add something like "For example, you have to delete the character & from either E&xit or E&xport, where &x denotes the same shortcut key 'Alt + X'."
Jeff wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:28 pmthere's perhaps a problem when using Chinese (for non-unicode) with the validation.
In my English version of Windows 10, "Validation" works properly on Dutch.plf but not on Chinese.plf, on which nothing can be displayed under "Validation". The system locale has already been changed from English (United States) to Chinese (Simplified, China). Five years ago, when I used Windows 7, "Validation" worked well on Chinese.plf.
Last edited by Matthew Wai on Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

I have just changed the system locale back to English. Now "Validation" works on Chinese.plf, but junk characters instead of Chinese are displayed. "Validation" does not support Chinese characters.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I've fixed the Validation problem for Chinese. Coincidentally, the affected code had to do with finding duplicate '&' items :)

Direct download link is here (has not been added to auto-update as of the writing of this post)
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10&p=36989#p10

Please confirm that this fixes the problem for you.

This update also has one more string to translate.

I've added extra information in the help file regarding the '&' character.

Thanks!
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Jeff wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:49 pmPlease confirm that this fixes the problem for you.
I confirm that "Validation" in v5.0.0.4 supports Chinese characters.
It found a number of "Possible Boundary Failure". I went to the dialogs and clicked on "Show Dlg", and all characters are displayed within the boundaries. May I simply check the boxes under "Verified"?
Jeff wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 1:21 pmWindows Control Panel / Clock and Region / Change date, time, or number formats / Administrative tab / Change system locale
The "readme-PPLC" file says nothing about that. I suggest adding something like:
Press the Windows key + R and run control intl.cpl,,1
Click on "Change system locale".
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Matthew Wai wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:48 am I confirm that "Validation" in v5.0.0.4 supports Chinese characters.
It found a number of "Possible Boundary Failure". I went to the dialogs and clicked on "Show Dlg", and all characters are displayed within the boundaries. May I simply check the boxes under "Verified"?
Thanks.

Yes. The "Possible boundary failure" always occurs when the text box allows multiple lines, so you just need to visually confirm and tick the verify box so you don't have to verify it each time.
Matthew Wai wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:48 am The "readme-PPLC" file says nothing about that. I suggest adding something like:
Press the Windows key + R and run control intl.cpl,,1
Click on "Change system locale".

I added that pretty much verbatim. And thanks for that quick way to access that settings window. I've been telling people how to get to that from the Control Panel forever and it never occurred to me to find a one-step method #-o One of these days, I hope that the "non-unicode" aspect won't matter anymore :roll:
Matthew Wai

Post by Matthew Wai »

Click here to download Chinese.plf and Chinese.val . All in v5.0.0.4 has been translated.
The included VBScript file is a system shortcut to "Change system locale". Consider including it into PPLC_v5004.zip.
Jeff wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:21 pmCopy PPLC.exe into the folder where you have installed POP Peeper. Previously, the PPLC filename included the version (e.g. PPLC_v50.exe) -- the filename MUST be named PPLC.exe, so make sure that the file placed in the Program Files folder is renamed to PPLC.exe.
Do you know all the above can be done by a script file too?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the update -- I appreciate it.

For opening the language setting: it's much more practical to provide instructions then to open a separate file (or maybe that's just personal preference; I'm not a big fan of 3rd party script files because it's just extra steps I have to do to open it and check exactly what it's going to do... ). Besides, not everyone needs this; most people will already have this setting configured for the language of the OS; and many languages don't need this.

The PPLC method is just a one-time process that may be improved in the future (this was a quick and dirty method and it's not polished yet). And, actually, it's not as simple to just use a script because not everyone installs POP Peeper into the default folder (and the location may not be in the registry).