Sending AOL E-mail

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
frontierd2@aol.com

Sending AOL E-mail

Post by frontierd2@aol.com »

Let me first say thank you for allowing me to free up nearly a gig of space from my computer after uninstalling AOL!!

I am however having a bit of trouble sending email. I think I have the correct settings because when I send mail to my gmail account it works great. Other people however have problems opening up attachments.

For instance, if I send an email to people using AOL with a few attachments they all end up with MIM extensions. I can rename them and they open but this isn't really a solution. Basic text emails go through fine, it is the attachments that are being messed up.

I am using POP Peeper 3.0.1.0 (same version for IMAP and SendMail). WebMail version is 3.0.1.13 (just updated). I have the AOL account's send mail settings as:

SMTP
smtp.aol.com
No SSL
Port 587
Sever Required Authentication (using the same info as incoming server)
Name, Reply To and BCC are all blank

Thanks!!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

hmm... I knew aol had problems reading base64-encoded text, but this is the first I've heard that it has problems with attachments (attachments also use base64).

I just sent an attachment to my AIM account, and the webmail interface is able to decode\display the attachment with no problem. Can you confirm that if your recipients use the webmail interface that the messages are ok?
frontierd2@aol.com

I emailed my boss who has AOL on his computer (a Windows XP Pro SP2 laptop using a new version of AOL). When in AOL the attachments are MIM as described. When on the same computer, using IE to access email from AOL's website, the attachments are fine. The file was a PDF in this case.

I hope this helps! Thanks!

:twisted:
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Do attachments sent in an email from a standard email client (OE or Thunderbird, for example) come in as MIM?

I don't have access to AOL or their mail reader, so I don't think there's much I can do about it, unfortunately. You may want to let your boss know that there's no reason to stay with their mail reader -- any imap client can be used to access AOL.
frontierd2@aol.com

Yeah, I figured it was the AOL mail client that was causing the problems. Unfortunately, because I cannot tell everyone to use a different IMAP email client, I will have to just use the AOL.com website to send emails with attachments. No biggie really. Just another reason for me to despise AOL.

#-o