Receiving notification of e-mail

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
postone

Receiving notification of e-mail

Post by postone »

I want to receive notification of e-mail from POP Peeper but I want to download the e-mail to Windows Mail Client. Of course Peeper is downolading the e-mail. How do I configure peeper so that it only notifies me of the e-mail and not actually download the e-mail? I want to download the e-mail messages into Windows Mail. Sounds goofy but peeper is the only program I can find that displays a desktop alert and thats what I need. Thanks ... Brad
JRF

Re: Receiving notification of e-mail

Post by JRF »

postone , step by step you are getting the PP behavior you like :)

1- As PP must download "something" in order to notify you , it is sufficient to PP to download the msg Headers . As this is going to apply to all/most of your accounts , then set Headers in [Options > Set Options > Msg Retrieval > Default Retrieval Options] .

2- What notification are you using ? If you have active the standard Desktop Alert [Options > Set Options > Notification > Visual > When I receive new Email] , then you may click directly in the notification popup to open "Windows Mail client" .

3- What about sounds ? ho , you did not get to this chapter , yet ...
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
postone

Post by postone »

Hi JRF, I tried setting Headers in [Options > Set Options > Msg Retrieval > Default Retrieval Options] . I also have the notification to alert on my desktop. I select Windows Mail button when the display comes up, but PP is still downloading the messages no matter that I have "Headers" choosen in Default Retrieval Options. So I don't know any ideas? Thanks .... Brad
JRF

Post by JRF »

postone , thanks , please reply .

1- we "have agreed on" that PP must download something in order to notify , so Headers is working (unless you have changed the Retrieval Method inside the account Advanced-tab) .

2- so perhaps the question is that msgs in the server are being marked as Read (and "Windows Mail client" does not find anything inside the servers inbox) ?

3- please , also answer what server and protocol are used : edit the account , copy/paste the contents of the 2 boxes : Server-Type and Server .
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
postone

Post by postone »

1- we "have agreed on" that PP must download something in order to notify , so Headers is working (unless you have changed the Retrieval Method inside the account Advanced-tab) .

Answer: I am assuming you're speaking of the "Message Retrieval Tab in Options? If so all three windows are set to "Headers" below that there are four boxes. The second box is checked---"Webmail/Imap: Use read status from server on intial retrieval" The other three boxes are blank.

3- please , also answer what server and protocol are used : edit the account , copy/paste the contents of the 2 boxes : Server-Type and Server .

Answer: Server Type : "IMAP" Server: "imap.gmail.com"

Maybe you could tell me what boxes to check etc... Sorry about all the trouble JRF and I appreciate all your time. Brad :)
JRF

Post by JRF »

postone , thanks , please discuss the points below :

I just send a msg to my Gmail account , and retrieved that in PP as Gmail/Imap/Headers .

Then opening via browser the Gmail server , I confirmed that msg was still in Gmail Inbox , as not-Read (so available to be retrieved by any program) .

So choosing Headers for your PP-Gmail-Imap seems OK .

1- before using PP , have you ever retrieved your Gmail msgs using Windows Mail client ?

2- if you open the PP window and click the button Run E-Mail Client (it is left-down , just above the box Total:) , then what happens ? it happens nothing , or Windows Mail client opens , or something else opens ?

3- Please clarify : you said :
... I also have the notification to alert on my desktop. I select Windows Mail button when the display comes up, but PP is still downloading the messages ...
do you say that clicking over the Email-Client button in the Desktop-Notification popup (it is the 2nd box in the popup , left to right) , the PP window opens ?
although you was expecting to see the Windows Mail client window to be opened ? or ... ?
postone

Post by postone »

1- before using PP , have you ever retrieved your Gmail msgs using Windows Mail client ? Answer: Yes

2- if you open the PP window and click the button Run E-Mail Client (it is left-down , just above the box Total:) , then what happens ? Answer: It opens Windows Mail Client

... I also have the notification to alert on my desktop. I select Windows Mail button when the display comes up, but PP is still downloading the messages ... do you say that clicking over the Email-Client button in the Desktop-Notification popup (it is the 2nd box in the popup , left to right) , the PP window opens ? Answer: I don't remember why I told you that I have notification alert display I don't remember what the point was now. But I am clicking on the second button from the left, yes. Which brings up Windows Mail Client

I will never give up, I will make this work... lol I hope I answered everything the way you can understand what I'm doing. Thanks again...
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Are you saying that the messages are not available to your email client because PP is retrieving them? For Imap access, that shouldn't be a problem even if you're accessing the entire message. I presume you have your email client set to retrieve via pop3?

I have a configuration setup where I have PP accessing the same gmail account using Imap and POP3 and they both receive the same messages, so it *should* work for your configuration as well.

It sounds like setting it to retrieve headers is all you want, so what makes you think that PP is still downloading the message? (that goes back to my first question)
JRF

Post by JRF »

postone , after your reply , and then Jeffs analysis , I believe you have all conditions to be notified by PP , and then retrieve your msg in Windows Mail Client , so I would suggest :

1- keep the PP definitions as Gmail/Imap/Headers (as discussed already) .

2- when the PP Desktop-Notification popups (as discussed already) :
click over the Email-Client button (the 2nd box in the popup , left to right) .

3- when the Windows Mail Client opens , perform the retrieval of that Gmail account :
I do not have Windows Mail Client installed to tell you the proper buttons ,
it is probably something like : Send/Receive > Receive All .

4- please report your progress .