Microsoft to retire the DAV protocol (Hotmail)

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
sam

Microsoft to retire the DAV protocol (Hotmail)

Post by sam »

I received an email from Microsoft re: Hotmail :
http://mailcall.spaces.live.com/blog/cn ... 0889.entry

Microsoft is changing the way to view your Windows Live Hotmail

"To continue to receive e-mail from your Hotmail account, please select one of the alternative solutions below before September 1, 2009. After this day, new e-mail can only be delivered to your mail programs through the following alternative solutions."

"Because the DAV (Distributed Authoring and Versioning) protocol is not optimally suited for programs to access large inboxes such as Hotmail which now provides users ever-growing storage, new alternatives have been built."

"Last year, customers asked us to postpone plans to retire the DAV protocol until more options were available. Now that these options (including the POP3 protocol) are available, we are ready to continue with the retirement of the DAV protocol." ...
How will this impact the way POP Peeper deals with our Hotmail accounts?

Thanks,
Sam
JRF

Re: Microsoft to retire the DAV protocol (Hotmail)

Post by JRF »

Sam , welcome to the POP Peeper Forums! and thanks for this collaboration .

I took the liberty of including the web-source and some more lines to your text , to clarify it .

1- One of the mentioned solutions is to use the POP3 protocol , and many PP users have already moved to it (see the topic Windows Live Hotmail using POP3 (creating a PP account) first posted in 15 Feb 2009) .

2- On other part of the article MS states : "However, you can continue to view your e-mail via the web at http://mail.live.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.hotmail.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. ..." , and this is somehow the way PP-Webmail performs the access , so it is probable the PP-Hotmail(Webmail) protocol continues available , perhaps modified to attend any new requirements .
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
sam

Post by sam »

Thanks for your input.

Sam
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

To confirm, POP Peeper does *not* use WebDAV to access Hotmail and will be unaffected by its retirement.
lwc

Post by lwc »

Is there anything that does use it except Hotmail itself? Being Microsoft, it's got to be a violation for other programs to use it.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

There have been a few programs known to use it. I think a lot of them were made relatively obsolete the first time MS retired WebDAV (~2006?). WebDAV is a published RFC (#2518), but I think Microsoft had some custom implementations for accessing hotmail. As far as I know, the new protocol, DeltaSync, is still fully under MS's control.