Mail.com to end free POP3 and IMAP accesses

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
war1

Mail.com to end free POP3 and IMAP accesses

Post by war1 »

Mail.com send a notice to all its customers today to notify them shortly the free POP3 and IMAP accesses are coming to an end. Mail.com did not specify the date they will end.

You may be able to still log into your mail.com account using the Server Type: Mail.com
Warren
Moderator of POP Peeper Email Forum
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Mail.com to end free POP3 and IMAP accesses

Post by Jeff »

If anybody has any insight as to when this will occur, please let us know.

The mail.com webmail interface in PP will not work for the majority of mail.com domains (only some of the 3rd party domains that use the old Outblaze interface like operamail.com), but I will be working on it this weekend and can hopefully have that ready before mail.com terminates Imap/Pop3 access.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Since I've closed the other topic, here's a copy of the email message that has been received (or so I'm told, I still haven't seen it)
We thank you for being a Mail.com customer and appreciate you trying the Premium email account service preview- which allows free email customers to utilize features normally reserved for premium email customers (POP & SMTP, Forwarding, etc). We noticed you are currently utilizing these features and hope you find these services to be a valuable addition to your Mail.com account.

Unfortunately, our premium service preview will be coming to a close soon and we want to ensure you have no disruption of service when that happens. We invite you to upgrade to a premium email account before the end of this preview.

Premium Email Features :
• IMAP and POP access (Use with Outlook, Blackberry, iPhone, and more!)
• Email Forwarding into other accounts
• An advertising- free email experience
• 24/7 premium customer support (Phone & Chat)

At just $1.67/month for an annual account, we hope you find these to be great reasons to upgrade your account to Premium. You can upgrade your account here <insert link here>.

Sincerely

Mail.com Product Team
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

According to users on EMD (and confirmed on several news sites), mail.com has been sold to the parent company that owns the GMX mail service. This is likely the reason why mail.com has announced the termination of free POP3/Imap access. The article states that the mail.com email service will be migrated to the GMX service. Presumably, this means the current mail.com interface is temporary, and therefore I have suspended my current work-in-progress to support the mail.com webmail service until the new interface has transitioned.
war1

Post by war1 »

I have GMX.com service, and it has lots of features in the web interface, and free POP3 and IMAP. But GMX.net is closed to users outside of Germany. So we'll see where mail.com gets migrated to.
Warren
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I guess I thought that free POP/Imap was only available through the german residents-only gmx.net. I didn't realize that gmx.com also offered them for free.

fwiw, I have now received the "upgrade to premium" email. Looks like we'll just have to wait and see what happens.
LanceHall01

Post by LanceHall01 »

Well I also received the previously mentioned MAIL.COM "premium email account service closing soon" email warning. I queried MAIL.COM support for clarification as to what "closing soon" meant. Unfortunately for me, my non-premium MAIL.COM account is now POP3/IMAP disabled but I can still access the account via the AOL hosted webmail interface manually outside of PP. To be clear, I have multiple MAIL.COM non-premium accounts and only the one account has had the POP3/IMAP disabled. I tried all possible configurations of POP3/IMAP/NoEncryption/Encryption/etc on the disabled account to no avail even though each attempted configuration still worked fine on the other accounts.

Furthermore, MAIL.COM support has simply ignored my query questions so far. Here is what I asked of them:

===============================================================
I just received the email regarding "Premium email account service preview ending soon".
What constitutes "soon" so that I can know how quickly that I need to determine alternatives?
Will there be another future email giving a more definitive cutoff date?
Is this cutoff going to occur in the current AOL hosted environment or in the future GMX hosted environment?
===============================================================

I surely wish that the AOL/GMX question would be answered although it is clear that the cutoff can be done in the current AOL hosted environment.

I would like to put a vote in for a PP webmail solution based on the AOL hosted environment to be completed instead of shelved!!!

Thanks for your attention!!!
:)
LanceHall01

Post by LanceHall01 »

So now MAIL.COM support actually did respond with a useful answer:

===========================================================
Dear user,

Thank you for contacting us back.

The reason why a specific date was not provided is because there isn't one
yet, however the system has already starting to disconnect the Premium
features from accounts that are not Premium.

Please contact us back if you have any further inquiries.

Regards,
--
Alex B.
Mail.com Customer Support
===========================================================

So it looks like MAIL.COM is going to become increasingly a problem for PP users.

So is this enough incentive to get the AOL webmail implementation unshelved?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

LanceHall01 wrote:Unfortunately for me, my non-premium MAIL.COM account is now POP3/IMAP disabled
Are you using imap.aol.com to access the account? Somewhere (EMD, likely), I read that someone had been using imap.mail.com which stopped working, but they switched to imap.aol.com and it still worked.
LanceHall01 wrote:So is this enough incentive to get the AOL webmail implementation unshelved?
I think we all realize that the AOL interface is temporary and it will change. AOL provides free POP3/Imap service so supporting its webmail interface is limited beyond mail.com's temporary use. Adding support for a new webmail interface is not simple and creating one for a service that has a known short lifespan is simply not worth the time it takes.
Televinken

Post by Televinken »

As of today, none of my free Mail.com accounts (imap.aol.com) are working with PP anymore.

/Televinken
Windows 7 Ultimate Retail x64
Pop Peeper 3.7.0.0
war1

Post by war1 »

My one mail.org account do not work either, but I assume it is a temporary service fault and not a purposeful shutdown of POP3 and IMAP accesses so soon.
Warren
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

All of my mail.com accounts are now unable to be accessed via poppeeper as well.
PPman

Post by PPman »

Yeah, I haven't been able to logon to mail.com all day, getting server busy error messages.

EDIT: Typical, a few minutes after posting this, mail.com is now working!!
Televinken

Post by Televinken »

EDIT: Typical, a few minutes after posting this, mail.com is now working!!

+1
Pop Peeper 3.7.0.0
war1

Post by war1 »

Mine is working also. If it wasn't for the message of closure from mail.com, I would not have worry about this glitch.
Warren
Montagar

Post by Montagar »

war1 wrote:Mine is working also. If it wasn't for the message of closure from mail.com, I would not have worry about this glitch.
Same here, all working now, but the "glitches" seemed to be happening much more frequently. :lol:
kunalashar

Post by kunalashar »

Has mail.com finally shut down POP3 and IMAP access to it's non-premium accounts? I can no longer access any of my mail.com accounts either over POP Peeper or any other client.
Televinken

Post by Televinken »

Still working here. Imap with my Dell Streak.
Pop Peeper 3.7.0.0
PPman

Post by PPman »

I'm getting the following error message on my non-premium accounts:
Login Error (LOGIN Failed. Incorrect name and/or password, please re-enter.)
Televinken

Post by Televinken »

Yup. Confirmed. I guess our "grace" period has come to an end... :-(
Pop Peeper 3.7.0.0