New Yahoo and Hotmail

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
war1

New Yahoo and Hotmail

Post by war1 »

Have you tried the new Yahoo or Hotmail interfaces?

Yahoo Beta Mail
http://yahoo.weblogsinc.com/2005/09/14/ ... mail-beta/

Hotmail
http://news.softpedia.com/news/The-New- ... 0229.shtml

Do you like it better than the old interface? Faster? More Options?

Note: Pop Peeper does not support the new Yahoo and Hotmail interfaces. So if you want to use Pop Peeper with Yahoo Mail and Hotmail, you need to use the old interfaces.
Warren
Moderator of POP Peeper Email Forum
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks to PP user, MetalfanBlackness, I've gotten to see the hotmail interface first hand. There's a lot less clutter than the traditional interface and it looks and behaves more like a local email client. For example, some people like to use the preview pane and others like to use a "whole page" window for reading their messages, and you can configure Live Mail to do this. Personally, I'd like it even more if it would open the message in a new window without the ads and other unnecessary elements, but it's an improvement.

As for Yahoo, it seems like they announced beta invitations quite a while ago (before Live Mail), but I have yet to hear from a PP user that confirmed they're using it. Given that more people seem to have access to Live Mail than the Yahoo beta, I tend to think Hotmail will beat Yahoo to the punch; but Yahoo tends to be more secretive, so who knows. If they're taking cues from Google (and we know they are), then we won't know for another couple years...
freckles

Post by freckles »

Well this is interesting...
I haven't received mail from my 2 Yahoo accounts since the 28th.
Just checked here and saw that signing up for Yahoo beta may be the reason for my login problems "Unknown Error: Try again later. (-10)"

When I go to mail.yahoo.com using either Maxton or IE7 (version 7.0.5296.0 beta 2), I get this page:
Sorry, Yahoo! Mail Beta does not support your browser.
You can either download a compatible browser or proceed to the original Yahoo! Mail.

If you want to use the Yahoo! Mail Beta...
You can download any of the supported browsers for free by clicking the links below:

Internet Explorer 5.5 or higher (for Windows)
Firefox 1.0 or higher (for Mac and Windows)
Mozilla 1.7 or higher (for Mac and Windows)
Netscape 7.2 or higher (for Windows)
To proceed to original Yahoo! Mail...
Simply follow the link below. If you sign in later with a supported browser, you will automatically be taken to Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Proceed directly to the original Yahoo! Mail
BUT if I press the "Switch Back" link at the top of the page instead of pressing the link at the bottom of the above quote, POP Peeper automatically works again. If I login with the old interface I still have the option (under Options!) to switch to the beta interface. I did this with one of my accounts. However, with the other account, I pressed the "sign in later with a supported browser" link because I wasn't looking for the "Switch Back" link then and now I don't see it anywhere in that account. :( I guess I can just login from a different computer that has a "supported browser" and look for the Switch Back link, according to the help pages.

So I'm guessing that for those who signed up for Yahoo Mail beta, the login is trying to verify that you're using the right browser and that's why it's messing up the POP Peeper login.

Hope that helps!!