verizon.net going out email business

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
techmanc

verizon.net going out email business

Post by techmanc »

This is part of an email got tonight about verizon.net stopping there email business and it has me confused on what email provider to pick next.

Effective March 31, 2017, we'll no longer provide verizon.net email service. Other than this change, your Verizon service(s) won't be affected.

We have two options for you to consider below. Please review both options and take action today to avoid losing access to your email.

I decided to not to keep my current email address because its getting too much spam so glad once all is re setup I be happier.

So I have a long time hotmail acct that I mainly be using for my MS Windows acct but I been seeing all this new info that hotmail is going to be discontinued and not sure if I want another gmail or yahoo email acct/

I have this month to make my choices and hoping I can get some feedback here on what to do about getting or just already use my hotmail acct would be fine with me if there going to be around awhile TIA!
Last edited by spc3rd on Thu Mar 02, 2017 5:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved to EMAIL subforum for better attention.
mjs

Re: verizon.net going out email business

Post by mjs »

What Verizon is doing is as you say discontinuing their verizon.net email account service and in it's place will by using Yahoo mail.

Verizon will be contacting you via your verizon.net account as far as what you will need to do to move your messages from your verizon.net account to the new Yahoo account.

You can call the Verizon landline dept at 1 800 VERIZON (1 800 8374966) for details regarding this (regardless you will be informed in the near future regarding further details).

As to other free email providers, there are many of course. Here is a website covering some of them: Top Free Email Services 2017 (reviews included in the link to help you out). Proton Mail listed in this link offers end-to-end encrypted email so is very secure. Another free service is openmailbox which is good and not included on the website linked here. Another service not mentioned as well is VFEmail that offers a limited free service as well as others including a one-time $24.95 that isn't bad and of course there are so many others. FWIW, I would not personally recommend mail.com in that link.

As far as Hotmail is concerned I'm not aware that Hotmail will be discontinued as you mentioned (perhaps the transition to outlook.com has lead you to draw this conclusion). MSN (Microsoft) will continue to provide all of their various email domains i.e. Hotmail, Outlook, Live, MSN (notice in the link users will "keep their Hotmail.com e-mail addresses — or Live.com or MSN.com, if that’s what they’ve got"). MSN has been using the Outlook.com log-in interface for some time now to access all of these MSN type (domain) accounts including your current "Hotmail" account and will continue to do so.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

too tired to post much info atm but here is a link for my updated info.....

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/ve ... -38770705v
mjs

Post by mjs »

Keep in mind that the verizon.net accounts will be changed over to Yahoo accounts due to the closing down of all Verizon.net accounts as of March 31, so you've got time :wink:.

This of course has to do with Verizon's purchase of Yahoo.

You do not need to be concerned about any of the email providers going out of business any time soon in the link previously posted. For now, I would personally recommend that you just go with what Verizon provides you as far as migrating your account over to Yahoo which will seamlessly retain the messages that you currently have in the verizon.net account. :wink:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I agree with lakrsrool on both points:
1) Hotmail isn't going anywhere. The *name* "hotmail" was phased out a while ago, but us old-timers still refer to it as such :)
2) Verizon's email service simply being transferred to Yahoo is logical, as Verizon bought Yahoo AOL... well, Verizon owns AOL, too.

But, yes, if AOL takes over your email, you'll still get the same spam (unless they have better filters).

btw, I skimmed through the anandtech discussion and corkyg said:
"I'm always puzzled as to why people don't use the email address that comes with their Internet service subscription."
My argument: it ties you to your ISP. If you decide to change ISPs you may not be able to access your email any longer, which means the hassle of having to tell everyone to update their address books.
techmanc

Post by techmanc »

Well I had not logged onto my verizon acct and only thing I had at that time was them leaving the business and the link they provided was the q&a about why they were leaving and some other links to other services I could switch to.

I did not see any AoL links that I can remember.

I seen the post that said they had bought yahoo but didnt know that included aol

When I logged on to my verizon acct I got the web page allowing me to join AoL and keep my email address and only need ed to setup my aol acct to keep same email.

I was planning to go to my hotmail acct to not had to deal with the spam issue I am having but I just signed up for aol to see how that would work.

I hope I dont jinx myself now I that I am using aol I have not gotten any of the spam I was getting which I got every day =D>
pomeroy

Post by pomeroy »

I received a similar notice from Verizon in March 2017 but they are migrating me to AOL.

They appear to be purchasing both Yahoo and AOL but not all mail may be going to the same service. How that plays out over time is yet to be seen.

There are 2 choices; 1) migrate to the AOL servers keeping the same e-mail address and Verizon branding or 2) dump them and go to another service. Their message was pretty clear on this end.

So I clicked on the offer to migrate to AOL, and in a few minutes and a few interactions later I was taken to their web mail and got in.

All that they required was an updated password be chosen to meet their security requirements.

NOTE IMPORTANT! This becomes your new e-mail password only and does not change your Verizon password used to access your account on-line with them for billing, changing or adding services, etc.

In PopPeeper, all I needed to do - so far - is update my password to the new one, and that is working fine so far. The SMTP and POP server addresses were respected as was all prior security settings.

According to Verizon's notice they plan to no longer offer e-mail via Verizon's machines after April 28, but I would expect that this migration will be an ongoing thing.

The login at AOL's webmail page uses your full Verizon.net address and new password. It's worth noting that AOL is also the root company that serves multiple webmail domains under the top level "mail.com" and all of the subsidiary domain names under that.

If you are a Verizon e-mail user and have not received a migration notice, it is likely you are OK for now, but you may eventually get notice.

OT and FYI - Yahoo has been changing its security and formats for their IM client, and that is breaking 3rd party clients such as Pidgin, Trillium, and others. AOL's Im client seems to be Ok under 3rd party clients so far.

P.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the details, pomeroy.

Are you sure that aol and mail.com are affiliated? mail.com is owned by the same company as gmx, which is a German-based company.

I dumped Yahoo Messenger a while ago after using it for 15+ years. I ended up switching to AIM, and I sorely miss many features that Yahoo had :(
KipLuc

Post by KipLuc »

Jeff wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2017 1:55 pm I managed to get Hydromax here and dumped Yahoo Messenger a while ago after using it for 15+ years. I ended up switching to AIM, and I sorely miss many features that Yahoo had :(
gmail, yahoo and aim all have their benefits but none of them can do it all. :(