AOL Security Notice set for October 20, 2020

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
nima_amin

AOL Security Notice set for October 20, 2020

Post by nima_amin »

AOL informed me that per October I will no longer be able to access my AOL mail accounts through third party applications unless they support this O'Auth thing (which I don't realyl understand). Any plans to support that in a soon-to-come update or the next version? So far your website says you support O'auth for Gmail, Hotmail and Yahoo, but nothing about AOL.
Last edited by spc3rd on Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic title edited.
spc3rd

Re: AOL Security Notice set for October 20, 2020

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the Esumsoft Forums, nima_amin,

In response to your inquiry, please have a look at the following discussion thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7474

While awaiting additional review and feedback from other members of The Esumsoft Team we ask that you please review the following Sticky topic:

Information for new users and forum members

The article contains important, helpful information which all members should be aware of. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to let us know.

Thank you and welcome aboard! :)
Global Moderator
mjs

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum nima_amin,

Take a look at this "AOL Security Notice set for 10/20/20" TOPIC on the subject.

Addendum: this topic link is the same as previously posted above by spc3rd (Pete) on this subject.
Last edited by mjs on Sun Sep 27, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
nima_amin

Post by nima_amin »

Thank you, it works with the app specific password here (not in Gmail webmail which I originally used to retrieve my AOL accounts - there I now always get a "pop.aim.com" does not support keeping copies of messages on server - it always did - strange). However, WHICH password - app specific or webmail login - do I have to use for the outgoing smtp settings now? About this AOL does not tell us on its website. Does anybody happen to know that? And do I have to add each alias (every aol address is indeed three addresses: username@aim.com, username@aol.com, username@aol.de) as a separate account for being able to send messages from each alias? I am not referring to answering an email sent to me, but me starting a new email conversation and thus determining the sender address.

You refer to the programme's help section in one of your linked posts. The help of POP Peepr is undunfortunately completely empty!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The SMTP password should be the same as your incoming; usually just using the option to "use same settings as incoming" is preferable rather than overriding the SMTP settings; that way you only have to change one password.
And do I have to add each alias
No. But POP Peeper does not have a way for you to select the email address to use, so you would need to type it in manually when you want to use a different one. Just make sure you've enabled:
main menu: Tools / Options / SendMail - Allow 'from' aliases
And then change the "From" address when you're composing the email.
If you have a particular need to frequently use a different alias, then adding multiple accounts might be more convenient (I'd probably recommend disabling them from being CheckMail'd; perhaps even changing the incoming server so that they aren't accidentally checked).

Improving this kind of support for aliases is on the todo...
You refer to the programme's help section in one of your linked posts. The help of POP Peepr is undunfortunately completely empty!
Your help file may be blocked -- Use File Explorer and right-click on the poppeeper.chm file and select properties. You'll probably see an option to "unblock" it on the bottom; press that button and the Help File should now open correctly.