AIM Mail

Email-related messages: Mail service provider announcements, general help, other
war1

AIM Mail

Post by war1 »

Yahoo, Hotmail and Google have been battling for customers the last year. We have not heard much from was AOL. Now AOL has jumped into the free email market with AIM Mail. It has been in beta the last few weeks, but just today came out of beta. So AIM Mail is open to anyone, not only to those with a screen name.

AIM Mail has 2 GB storage and fast IMAP access. It has spam, virus protection, and secure login. IMAP server is imap.aol.com, SSL works on this server.

AIM webmail is slow to load like Yahoo and has plenty of advertisements. It has few features other than those listed above, and layout is generic.

You can sign up here:

https://my.screenname.aol.com/_cqr/logi ... il.aol.com
Warren
Moderator of POP Peeper Email Forum
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In my welcome letter, it says that IMAP support is "coming soon" and it sounds like SMTP will also be available. Do you know if the IMAP server currently works?

btw, I didn't actually sign up for an AIM account, I just logged in. I think it must have used my NetscapeMail account information.
war1

Post by war1 »

Jeff,

Yes, IMAP actually works, but no SMTP as yet. On the AIM Mail Beta boards, Beta Josh, rep for AOL, stated that POP3 access is coming also.

You can use your Netscape screen name for AIM Mail. You have to sign up for AIM Mail.

Edit: I have heard that AOL IMAP does not work like other IMAP protocol. I have heard, but not tested, that you cannot move external emails AOL folders via AOL IMAP in an email client. I do not have an AOL account. So far, I have tested that I can move external emails into AIM folders via IMAP in Outlook Express.
Warren
JRF

Post by JRF »

Hi war1 , I had a time today to go trough your hints in this E-mail section , a good job , congratulations !

I made a trial w/ AIM , and to be honest I found it slow (webmail) , not clean , tied w/ AOL , Netscape, IE , all those things :cry:

Alert : if you use Opera , you will be able to register w/ AIM , but it wil get lost when you try to access your email (but it was ok using Firefox) .

PS : I verified also Gawab mail , from your other topic , and left my opinion there :D
• (PP + IMAP + Send)=381 Web=3808 PPT=38 SSL=1005 Voice=3 Chime=3 Skin=36 PP-Add-on-Pack=3 • XPproSP3 • Fx=1301 Opera=1162 [IE=80] • Online-Armor=5501616 • CPU=1.2GHz • RAM=2.5GB •
war1

Post by war1 »

JRF wrote:Hi war1 , I had a time today to go trough your hints in this E-mail section , a good job , congratulations !

I made a trial w/ AIM , and to be honest I found it slow (webmail) , not clean , tied w/ AOL , Netscape, IE , all those things :cry:
Yeah, AIM Mail is slow. But IMAP access is fast.
Warren
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Since AOL and AIM now support IMAP, have you heard if they plan on including IMAP support for Netscape? Or maybe it already works...?
war1

Post by war1 »

No word about IMAP for Netscape. AIM Mail has 2000MB storage and IMAP access. AOL will get unlimited storage and has IMAP access. Netscape has 250MB and no desktop access. Netscape is the neglected child of the family.
Warren
ganggreene

Pop Peeper with AIM Mail

Post by ganggreene »

I'm new here and I wanted to know if Pop Peeper supported AIM Mail. I read some of the posts and I haven't figured out the answer.

Thanks
war1

Post by war1 »

At this time, POP Peeper does not support AIM mail. But AIM mail has IMAP access, so you can download to Outlook or Thunderbird using the IMAP access.
Warren