POP Peeper is compatible with Windows 8?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Anthonytonyboy

Post by Anthonytonyboy »

I tested today, work perfectly, nice. For all to know. :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: POP Peeper is compatible with Windows 8?

Post by Jeff »

Thanks for the confirmation. Some other people have also reported success. I ran it successfully myself with the Consumer Preview, but Win7 is still my primary OS so I can't say I've put it through the wringer on Win8.

There is a feature in Win8 that piqued my interest though -- the ability to update the tile on the start page with the number of new messages (for example). Is that something you'd find useful?
Anthonytonyboy

Post by Anthonytonyboy »

My new windows is Windows 8 Pro (Version 6.2 - Compliation 9200)
Then end install POP Peeper, just click icon POP Peeper in Screen square, open program in desktop, normal seem like is same Windows 7.
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

Yes, PP is compatible, but I noticed you can't change the location of your INI file (it's hardwired in the path location box). :!: Don't know if it was that way on Win7 as I never used it on that OS. I wanted the INI file stored somewhere else (as I had done with my previous installation on an XP system) but no way to work that for now, I guess.

I had a problem getting PP to see all my previous accounts and settings info as well. :shock: I put all the files in place and started the app, yet it refused to read the INI. :( I finally made a new blank INI file by starting the app w/o on in the necessary directory, shut PP down, copied my INI file over the blank and then PP finally recognized and used it. =D> Is that a permissions issue with the old vs. new file? Shouldn't have been, but my method worked so something changed.

Good Luck all.
No sig here (i don't smoke hehe)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

After it's created, PP doesn't allow you to change the ini location internally -- you have to manually move it.

I have an educated guess as to the problems you had with upgrading: Since you didn't come from Win7, I assume you upgraded from WinXP. And I'm betting that you had installed PP with a "portable" installation and that PP was installed in the C:\Program Files\ folder? This doesn't work well with Windows, starting in Vista. Windows no longer allows programs to write files in the "Program Files" folder (or other, protected folders) and attempts to do so will actually write files in the "Virtual Store" folder, and this can really cause a mishmash of duplicate file problems.

Even if some of my above assumptions aren't correct, it sounds like you were running into related issues. Even if it's working now, it's best to make sure that it won't cause a problem down the road. So: where is your ini file located and what is the "data path" (as found on Tools / Options / Storage)?
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

Um, I'll take this in pieces. Let's begin. :-) :arrow:

This was a "virgin" install on a Win8 machine. :roll: I didn't upgrade or migrate. My first install was on a clean machine/disk by installing the app directly from DL. My data files were always stored in my home account in a sub-dir (Yes, I did copy those over from the other box) but everything app-wise was installed. All I did was try to point PP to the right spot for the data and INI (which I kept in the same folder for backup purposes). Epic fail. ](*,)

Once PP is installed and running, I STILL cannot change the INI file location. :cry: It's not greyed out and even has the path there (C:\Users\myuserID\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\poppeeper.ini) but this location is hard wired on the screen and can't be deleted or editted. I tried putting a short-cut link in that dir for the INI file and have the link pointed to my storage area and it didn't want to recognize the link either. I'm guessing the link was rejected for the same reason my initial copy of the INI file was rejected - PP just doesn't like it unless it makes it during the initial startup after a load.

For reference, my data file location is: C:\Users\myuserID\Documents\poppeeper-data
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper can only look for the ini file in 1 of 2 pre-defined locations:
1) The same folder as POPPeeper.exe
2) The AppData folder

If you place the ini file anywhere else, you have to tell PP where to find it via the command-line; e.g.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\POPPeeper.exe" -ini "C:\Users\myuserID\Documents\poppeeper-data\poppeeper.ini"

If you want PP to run at windows startup, you'll need to manually edit the registry to tell it the correct ini file:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\POP Peeper
(use the same command line as above, but include -min to run PP minimized).

If you had this setup in your previous OS, you must have done the same thing, but you've probably forgotten about it.
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

Update and direction / correction. :shock:

Yes, I am interested in keeping both my INI and data together. Thanks for the tips, :idea: I think I'll make a desktop shortcut and use the "-ini" option and see if Win8 plays friendly. I did not use this option in the past under XP (as I didn't know about it until now). With my previous load, however, I did keep the INI in a customized location for apps in a "Pop Peeper" sub-dir where the dlls and exes lived. Data was kept safely & separately in My Docs sub-dir, though, and that has always worked fine. =D>
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

UPDATE: It took a few stabs to get both my desktop shortcut and my Start icon to look for the INI file in the customized location. I chose to use the -ini option on the command line as you described above. Now both parent (PP) and children (email data, INI file) are doing well in their new home. =D> \:D/ Thx for the info and tips.
jjgui1

Post by jjgui1 »

UPDATE - WIN 8.1 STATUS - Recently installed the upgrade to Win 8.1. It really is a lite update this round, more or less to deal with some of the cosmetic items the whiners have been crying about so I really didn't expect things to explode. *chex off Win 8.1 on to-do list* I'd give it a thumbs up with PP for now. =D>

JJ
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I haven't upgraded my Win8 box to 8.1 yet so thanks for the confirmation.