Is there a way to Search emails with a keyword?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
jtbec

Is there a way to Search emails with a keyword?

Post by jtbec »

Not sure if this was addressed before, I couldn't find it in searching the forum, but is there a way to search emails with a keyword or phrase?

Thanks, Jan
spc3rd

Re: Is there a way to Search emails with a keyword?

Post by spc3rd »

Hi Jan and welcome to the PP Forums!

A couple of questions for you:

1. Which version of PopPeeper are you using?

2. Do you happen to have the PopPeeper Plus Pack installed?

Best regards,
Global Moderator
jtbec

Post by jtbec »

I have the pop peeper pro version 4.01 and do have the plus pack.
Thanks,
Jan
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks for posting back with the info, Jan.

To utilize the SEARCH/FIND feature, please do the following:

1. Open PP.
2. Click on the [VIEW] tab.
3. Hover your mouse pointer over MAILBOX, to see the list of FOLDERS you can search. (Like what is shown in the image below).
0000 PP v4 - VIEW - MAILBOX - Folder to search.png
4. Click on the particular folder you want to search. You should now see what is shown in the screen image below.
(No messages are shown in this example as my JUNK folder has none)
00000 PPv4 - SEARCH FUNCTION.png
The SEARCH box is shown in the red rectangle.
Beneath it, you will see a list of all your email accounts. The first item on the list will say "All Accounts" and is highlighted by default, so you will see a list of the messages in all your accounts for the specific folder you previously selected in Step # 4 above.

You can click on any of your email accounts in the list to see only the messages for that particular account and the folder previously selected.
To change which FOLDER you want to see messages in, simply click on the specific folder from the listing shown beneath the Account List.

[USING THE SEARCH BOX]

Place your mouse cursor in the Search box & enter whatever search term you wish, then click the [FIND] button. Any emails containing the search term you specify will be displayed in the large area on the right side of the window. To perform a more detailed search, simply click on the arrow shown on the right of the [FIND] button and select Advanced Search.
Another window will open where you can enter more specific search parameters. (It's pretty much self-explanatory).

Hope this helps. Feel free to post back if you encounter any problems or have additional questions.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
jtbec

Post by jtbec »

Thanks Pete, but for me I only get the Search box when I view the sent folder. It won't work on the inbox.
Thanks for your input, but not sure if works on inbox, which Is what I'm looking for.
:) Jan
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Thanks for posting back Jan.

I've asked Jeff to review your post here, as he can better address the issue you're inquiring about. He should be stopping by the Forums later today.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry, but it's not currently possible to search the inbox. At least not directly.

If you know that you've previously replied to the email that you're searching for, you can still search using SMV and you might find what you're looking for (this is usually what I do myself).

Or, if you know the account that you want to search (or even if you don't):
1) In the Accounts List, right-click on the account and select "Archive messages" (if you don't see this, enable "Advanced options" -- main menu: Tools / Options / General)
2) Open SMV and view the Archive (PP main menu: View / Mailbox -> Archive)
3) You can now search and find the message you're looking for

This is obviously not the most ideal solution, but it should work for the occasional search.
aidanwhitehall

Post by aidanwhitehall »

Hi Jeff

Is there any consideration being given to add a feature to enable users to search the Inbox, such as you can using the Sent Mail Viewer? It would be tremendously helpful to be able to search for strings in the Sender, To and Subject fields. Being able to search the SMV is of very limited use here.

Thanks for your time.

Aidan
A long time POP Peeper fan
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi aidan and welcome to the Esumsoft Forums! :)

Thank you for your inquiry and suggestion, (which, as you can see), is one that other PP users have inquired about.
Jeff reviews all suggestions and feature requests made in the Forums here, and no doubt has this in his notes for consideration.
He should be along later and can provide you with more info on your inquiry than I.

In the interim...
as you are a new member of the Forums, The Esumsoft Team recommends you review the following:

Information for new users and forum members.

important information is provided regarding the Forums and POP Peeper program which new members need to be aware of. Links are also included to additional resources which explain how to perform a variety of tasks, as well as, the steps to take if you experience problems with the POP Peeper program.

Welcome aboard & best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Message searching is on the short list of considerations for v5.0.

I'll try to post more information about what to expect in v5.0 in the next month or so. If you haven't seen any announcements, just remind me -- sometimes I get so wrapped up in developing I forget about things.

Thanks Pete ;)
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Pop Peeper is a wonderfully helpful program.
And I have about five Gmail accounts in there now.

Now I have to look at the Plus Pack. (And the Plugins and the Skins.) The Pro is interesting, but I am not sure if there is anything I would use.

And I also forward the mail to my home client, TheBat! ... used to use Eudora more... but for finding out what is going on new, today, Pop Peeper is best. It gives a better view than even the virtual folder in TheBat! (which is pretty good.)

Since Pop Peeper is being actively supported (new update now) as you mentioned above - this will be your 2019 reminder to have a nice search function in 5.0 :). If this is in planning and consideration.

I do have one Gmail box where the number of messages seems way off .. even after emptying trash in the box. This may lead to a separate post. It does not hurt anything, but it is showing 38K instead of a couple of 10K. I've had similar problems with other iMap to Google programs. Am I missing something, or is it a Google Quirk?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

POP Peeper Pro v5.0 will have search capability. It was first announced here:
https://www.esumsoft.com/blog/pop-peepe ... e-details/

But seeing that post and knowing that the feature set of v5 has been locked for quite some time, I really (really) need to make a summary post so everything can be found in a single article. I shall add that to my todo list...

And to let you know and avoid any surprises: search will be in the Pro version, not the free version.

Regarding the number of messages: If POP Peeper states that you have 38K messages immediately when you first open POP Peeper (ie. before it performs its first mail check), then you definitely have 38K messages. The reason for that caveat is that things can be different if the account checks for number of messages (instead of actually downloading headers/messages). This is not very common, but it's a possibility so I mention it. When POP Peeper first starts, the only thing it knows are the messages stored in its database, which is why that number will be correct.

Are you only counting the messages in gmail.com's "Primary" tab? Make sure you include messages from the other tabs, because they're included in POP Peeper.
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Jeff wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:06 pmAnd to let you know and avoid any surprises: search will be in the Pro version, not the free version.
Thanks Jeff.

So I will definitely want the Pro Version, or better yet the Bundle (not sure that I would use Aeris for the Triple). Is there an upgrade fee planned for those who have v.4 and now want 5? If so, I might wait, if not I will buy now.

The Gmail I will do some more checking, (afaik the counts I give do include all the labels added together.)

ADDED: My error on the Gmail, they were mostly in a Label called Promotions. All fine on the count.
Steven Avery

Post by Steven Avery »

Plus and Pro Bundle purchased.

Very happy with Pop Peeper and support.

Added many more emalis.. I have a variety pack in Gmail and a few others.
I coalesce them on my disk by forwarding, but Pop Peeper gives the best view of the recent ones. With the ease of switching from one mailbox to all.

The esthetics with the font, the columns and the colour-coding is all a big help!
Steven Avery

a few thoughts

Post by Steven Avery »

Basically, everything superb.

========================

It seems like the Plus
Tools-Plugins-NotificationsVoice - check mark.

has a superior Voice notification system that overrules the standard. Surprised me a bit when I started getting voice notifications.

A small suggestion, when that is checked, you could gray out the standard controls and place a note "controlled by plug-in." Please let me know if I am missing something. Overall it is quite neat, and I may use it for one or two accounts (you have that flexibility even in the standard.)

=============================

You might look for a faster refresh, especially if it is sort of accidental. Just put up the previous data first (can you do it as an array, rather than line by line?) Just a programmer's thought, from my mini-computer days.

Here is a real suggestion for 5.x.

Allow a little more account choosing flexibility. I often would like to show all accounts except one, that sort of gets in the way. Or I might like an option to show my 2 or 3 really critical accounts.

I have a few issues with accounts that are not showing (I have about 15 that are, incluing all my regular Gmail accounts). There are two Gsuite accounts, and one is showing, the other is not. icloud, GMX and Zoho do not seem to catch. Of course, in some of these it might be a simple tweak on my end. I do try to use OAuth. None of this is critical, and perhaps I should check it first and then send you an email.

Does it make any speed help if I reduce a Gmail account from 2000 to 100? I got rid of all the super-bulk accounts, there used to be 10K and 20K? It may not affect PopPeeper speed, so I don't want to micromanage too much.

===========================

Thanks for your help!
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Steven Avery wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:11 am has a superior Voice notification system that overrules the standard. Surprised me a bit when I started getting voice notifications.

A small suggestion, when that is checked, you could gray out the standard controls and place a note "controlled by plug-in." Please let me know if I am missing something. Overall it is quite neat, and I may use it for one or two accounts (you have that flexibility even in the standard.)
The voice notification is only included in the Plus Pack, so I'm not sure what you're comparing it to. I'm also not sure which "standard controls" you're referring to that would require the note.
You might look for a faster refresh
How many messages do you have? I have 18779 messages and when I click on any column, the sort/display is almost instantaneous (certainly less than 1 second). Even if I underclock my cpu to 2Ghz, it's still almost as fast.

Allow a little more account choosing flexibility. I often would like to show all accounts except one, that sort of gets in the way. Or I might like an option to show my 2 or 3 really critical accounts.
This is something I have planned for the future. My idea is to use tags and then you can view different groups of accounts by their tags. An account could have multiple tags, so you can have one account being displayed in more than one group (which may complicate things for certain other ideas I have, but I plan on there being a "primary" tag which would define any settings that might apply to a tag).

In case you're not aware, you can currently hide any specific accounts from being displayed in the *All accounts* list, so that its messages are only displayed when you view that particular account (or you can only show its unread messages in the *All* list). Edit the account and go to the 'Advanced' page.

I have a few issues with accounts that are not showing
Send me an email and be sure to include the error report (File / Error overview; Copy Log).

Does it make any speed help if I reduce a Gmail account from 2000 to 100?
It can't hurt, but it depends on what you're referring to. For example, if you're seeing delays with sorting on a new column (which seems suspect to me), then the number of messages you have is definitely going to be a significant factor.

Why don't you email me about this (preferably in a separate email than the email regarding the errors you're having) so we can discuss it more easily. Please include your system specs, too (cpu and amount of ram).