Login Errors after upgrade from v3.8 to v4.0.1

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mjl-cdf

Login Errors after upgrade from v3.8 to v4.0.1

Post by mjl-cdf »

I have just upgraded from v3.8 to v4.0.1. My accounts were imported into the new version but whenever I run "check mail" I get a "Login Error (LOGIN failed.)" status for all my accounts. I have checked the account settings and they appear to be correct, I have created a new account and that fails too. I have also re-entered passwords. All accounts are IMAP. My email client (Live Mail 2012) is working fine and other devices (iPad/iPhone) are not having problems.

I have checked my firewall settings and they permit access to the internet for POP Peeper.

I can't think what else I can do to get this working.
mjl-cdf

Re: Login Errors after upgrade from v3.8 to v4.0.1

Post by mjl-cdf »

These are the errors that I'm getting.....

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.0.1.0
Webmail: 4.0.14.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.0.1.0
SendMail: 4.0.1.0

--- Error ---
ETCC [1000: IMAP] ['mail.livemail.co.uk' (143) SSL: 0] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
Login Error (LOGIN failed.)

Junk Mail [1000: IMAP] ['mail.livemail.co.uk' (143) SSL: 0] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]

Mark [1000: IMAP] ['mail.livemail.co.uk' (143) SSL: 0] [ClientSend: '' (0) SSL: 0]
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Hi mjl-cdf and welcome to the PP Forums,

The issue you are reporting may need Jeff's expertise. I ran a check on mail.livemail.co.uk and the report I received back indicates the server is down for everyone. This may explain the multiple log-in failures you're having.

Jeff should be along later and will be able to provide more insight. (I've already contacted him about your issues).

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, 2 possibilities:
1) Try editing the account and changing the "login name" so that it doesn't have the full email address (or if it's already that way, include the full email address)
2) When I first saw "livemail.co.uk" I assumed that they were affiliated with Hotmail and I noticed that you were not using SSL, which Hotmail requires. However, they do *not* appear to be affiliated with hotmail, so the "No SSL" setting may not be relevant.

The first one is the more likely based on your description -- if livemail.co.uk happen to be use the same server software as me.com (apple), then that will be the case. v4 added a new login mechanism for IMAP and for some reason, they expect a different login name for each mechanism.
mjl-cdf

Post by mjl-cdf »

Have gone back to v3.8.1 with the same settings that I was using in v4.0.1 and everything is working. I use email hosting with my own domains as it makes life easy for me if I change ISP or am using my iPad/iPhone away from home. The hosting company gives users the option using either mail.livemail.co.uk or mail.mydomain.xx.yy as their incoming server. Both point to the same thing. Username to log in must be the full email address, no SSL is used.

I have no idea why v4.0.1 is not working but happy days I found an installer for v3.8.1 in my downloads folder from when I reinstalled Win7 to a new HDD in my laptop after my previous WD drive died after less than 18 months.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Just for my own information, did you try changing the login name in v4?
mjl-cdf

Post by mjl-cdf »

Hi Jeff

I didn't because I'd already reinstalled the previous version before seeing your message.

The account info looks like this (not real email addresses for obvious reasons)

Account Name: Mark
Email Address: mark@mydomain.xx.yy
Login Name: mark@mydomain.xx.yy
Password: ************
Server Type: IMAP
Incoming server: mail.mydomain.xx.yy

I have also tested mail.livemail.co.uk as the server and this works fine too.

The full email address is required for incoming and outgoing mail with my hosting company which when used (for incoming) with mail.livemail.co.uk is fairly obvious as many different domains will be using the same incoming server address.

The above is the same as I used with V4 without success.

For your information the outgoing server has to be smtp.mydomain.xx.yy

Regards

Mark
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Mark, I've sent you an email to request further information.