Error from msls31.dll

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mr-5-59

Error from msls31.dll

Post by mr-5-59 »

I installed POPPeeper.exe v4.0.1.0 on a Windows 7 64 bit PC
When i want a message preview PopPeeper crash

The Windows events log reports:

Nome dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: POPPeeper.exe, versione: 4.0.1.0, timestamp: 0x5489de86
Nome del modulo che ha generato l'errore: msls31.dll, versione: 3.10.349.0, timestamp: 0x525b8786
Codice eccezione: 0xc0000005
Offset errore 0x0000dfa8
ID processo che ha generato l'errore: 0x8e8
Ora di avvio dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: 0x01d08405171e4644
Percorso dell'applicazione che ha generato l'errore: C:\Program Files (x86)\POP Peeper\POPPeeper.exe
Percorso del modulo che ha generato l'errore: C:\Windows\system32\msls31.dll
ID segnalazione: 5dbdc1b8-eff8-11e4-976e-d05099490ebc

What can i do?

Sorry for my bad english ..... :cry: Thanks for your help :)
Marco mr-5-59

-------------------------------TRANSLATION TO ENGLISH------------------------------
Name of the application that generated the error: POPPeeper.exe, Version: 4.0.1.0, time stamp: 0x5489de86
Name of the module that generated the error: msls31.dll, Version: 3.10.349.0, timestamp: 0x525b8786
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Offset error 0x0000dfa8
ID process that generated the error: 0x8e8
Start time of the application that generated the error: 0x01d08405171e4644
Path to the application that generated the error: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ POP Peeper \ POPPeeper.exe
Path of the module that generated the error: C: \ Windows \ system32 \ msls31.dll
ID reporting: 5dbdc1b8-eff8-11e4-976e-d05099490ebc
------------------------------------END OF TRANSLATION-------------------------------
Last edited by spc3rd on Fri May 01, 2015 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Translation to English provided for better attention.
mjs

Re: Error from msls31.dll

Post by mjs »

The path and module that generated the error is C: \ Windows \ system32 \ msls31.dll

This is a Microsoft "DLL" error not directly related to Pop Peeper.

msls31.dll is the library file used by Internet Explorer and Word applications to provide Microsoft Unicode support.

Jeff will likely need to look into this further but until then you might try updating (or reinstalling) your Internet Explorer (IE) version to see if this by chance might help. Pop Peeper requires a relatively recent IE (the reason IE may possibly be relevant is because POP Peeper uses an IE-based control to display HTML-based messages).

BTW, what version of IE do you currently have on your computer?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mr-5-59

Post by mr-5-59 »

I have IE v.11.0.9600.17728
When i change my PC (the old PC .... hard disk KO .... :cry: :cry: ) i executed all the "windows updates" (except the last security update that have a problem with download)
My msls31.dll file has the same date and time when i do the massive "windows updates"
It could be that there is a problem between the current PopPeeper and this version of msls31.dll ?

Thanks
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

lakrsrool said exactly what I was going to say based on my own research...

Interestingly, I have the same version of msls31.dll, but I have a more recent timestamp. For those of us who can't read hex timestamps:
msls31.dll, versione: 3.10.349.0, timestamp: 0x525b8786
Mon, 14 Oct 2013 05:56:22 GMT

The timestamp on my msls31.dll (3.10.349.0) is:
‎Thursday, ‎January ‎30, ‎2014, ‏‎12:04:46 PM
and, fwiw, I have IE10.

What's the filesize of your msls31.dll?

Do all messages that you attempt to view crash? It's possible that plain text messages wouldn't crash because they may not need IE to render the HTML.
mjs

Post by mjs »

mr-5-59 wrote:I have IE v.11.0.9600.17728
... i executed all the "windows updates" (except the last security update that have a problem with download)
I have the exact same version of IE as referenced above. My msls31.dll version is 3.10.349.0 (C:\windows\system32\), file size 242KB, you've mentioned above that there was a "problem with download" regarding one of your updates. Possibly if you are able to finish this update that apparently failed the problem might be resolved.

Do you ever get any errors at all using IE that mention the "module msls31.dll" in the error message?
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
mjs

Post by mjs »

Since you have Windows 7 OS, if you feel comfortable doing this here is a way to repair DLL's: How To Fix Missing DLL File Errors In Windows 7.

I would first try finishing your Windows Updates successfully. If you want to try the above link it provides detailed instructions (examples) using "Windows Repair Mode" to fix corrupted DLL files (use caution when doing this).
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

fyi: the filesize of mine is 211KB. I think that there are different filesizes depending on the OS and hardware platforms (x86, x64, amd, intel, ...)
mr-5-59

Post by mr-5-59 »

My file is:
Directory di C:\windows\system32
28/04/2015 19:39 247.808 msls31.dll

Today i'm working from home to install software and copy recovered data to the PC ...

But now i take some time to see close the error in windows update ......

I see now in windows log events that there is the same error with msls31.dll also for:
- odbcad32.exe, versione: 6.1.7600.16385, timestamp: 0x4a5bcd4c (when i opened the "help")
- IEXPLORE.EXE, versione: 11.0.9600.17728, timestamp: 0x55024724 (when i go on the home page of the company where i work, other websites are ok)
I think it's exactly responsibility of that version of .dll (i have not find a message of plaint text, but now i'm sure that it is with no problem)

The windows patch that give me the error is:
-------------------------------
Pacchetto cumulativo di aggiornamento della protezione per Internet Explorer 11 per Windows 7 per sistemi basati su x64 (KB3038314)
Data di installazione: 16:52 ‎01/‎05/‎2015
Stato dell'installazione: Non riuscito
Dettagli errore: Codice 80092004
Tipo di aggiornamento: Importante
In un prodotto software Microsoft è stato individuato un problema di sicurezza che potrebbe influire sul sistema. Installando questo aggiornamento fornito da
Microsoft sarà possibile proteggere il sistema. Per un elenco completo dei problemi inclusi in questo aggiornamento, vedere l'articolo associato della Microsoft
Knowledge Base. Al termine dell'installazione, potrebbe essere necessario riavviare il sistema.
Ulteriori informazioni:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3038314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guida e supporto tecnico:
http://support.microsoft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
---------------

-------------------------------TRANSLATION TO ENGLISH------------------------------
Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer 11 for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB3038314)
Installation Date: 16:52 01/05/2015
Installation Status: Failed
Error details: Code 80092004
Update type: Important
In a software product Microsoft has identified a security issue that could affect the system. By installing this update from
Microsoft to help protect the system. For a complete list of issues included in this update, see the associated Microsoft
Knowledge Base. After installation, you may need to restart your system.
More information:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3038314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

---------------
But the file msls31.dll is not listed in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3038314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .....

But i see now that in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3038314" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; says:
----------------------------------
After you perform a clean installation of Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2, and then you upgrade from Internet Explorer 8 to Internet Explorer 11, you may
receive an error message that resembles the following:
Windows Update encountered an unknown error
error code 80092004
After the clean installation, Windows Update continues to offer KB3038314 even though the security update may already be correctly installed.
If you receive this error message, click About Internet Explorer on the Help menu to determine whether the security update was installed. If the Update Versions
line shows KB3038314, this indicates that the security update is correctly installed and that the system is not in an unprotected state.
Microsoft is researching this problem and will post more information in this article when the information becomes available.
----------------------------------
That is the error i had!!!! My IE in Update Versions line shows: KB3038314
Then ..... the update was done?!?!?!? I see now that the KB3038314 was done for IE 8, before upgrade to IE 9, 10 e 11 ...

Then ...... the msls31.dll was updated from another of the 200 windows update i have done ...... but which?????? :evil:
And above all .... how i can solve the problem ...?
With: http://computerlearnhow.com/how-to-fix- ... windows-7/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and "Windows Repair Mode" ???
But not now and not from home .... :?
Other ideas?

Thasks again
Last edited by mjs on Sat May 02, 2015 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Translation to English provided for additional clarity - lakrsrool
mjs

Post by mjs »

mr-5-59 wrote: Other ideas?
Well, a couple more options other than trying the "Windows Repair Mode" option mentioned above to fix/repair DLL's that are missing or corrupted would be the following:

OPTION #1: You could simply try an uninstall and reinstall of IE 11 to see if by chance this helps (simple approach).

OPTION #2: You could try using the "System File Checker Tool" in Windows to find and repair DLL files (SEE BELOW FOR INSTRUCTIONS).

Instructions to run MS "System File Checker Scan" (scf):
1. Click "Start," then "All Programs".
2. Click "Accessories", then right-click on "Command Prompt".
3. Click "Run as administrator" from the pop-up menu. Click "Allow" or type in an administrator password if prompted by the system.
4. Type "sfc /scannow" at the command prompt, then press the "Enter" key. The System File Checker will then run which will check for all missing and corrupted DLL files and replace them.

This "OPTION #2" above should definitely solve your problem. :wink:
mr-5-59

Post by mr-5-59 »

Thank you very much !!! During the next week I'll try something ( not remotely ... ) and then give you a return.
Have a good weekend
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

First, I would definitely take lakrsrool's advice and going with a repair. One method I would definitely *NOT* try is downloading the file from the internet. There's way too much of a possibility of getting malware; but also, as we've found, there are several different files of the same version (although, your 247,808 size could be the same as lakrsrool's 242K file [247808 B = 242 KB]).

Anyway, good luck!
mr-5-59

Post by mr-5-59 »

I have not done anything , I'm sure!!! :shock:
This morning I just restart the PC ( but I did it also last week !! and more than once !!! ) .
KB3038314 is still not complete!
msls31.dll is unchanged!
But now the error seems to have disappeared ( odbcad32 , iexplorer , the preview with the Great PopPeeper are OK ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? ! ? !) :o :o :o :shock:
I restart again more than once the PC. Still OK, all the day!

Now I don't touch anything but I keep your advices! If the situation will change again I will refer you!
( all because of Heisenberg 's uncertainty principle and of ... Microsoft? :P )
Thanks for the help!
It was a real pleasure talking with you 2 !

CIAO - Marco mr-5-59
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Well, that's good, but I'm not sure I'd get too excited. Did you try opening one of the same messages as before? ie. as I alluded to in my first reply, some messages may not need to use HTML to render and I wouldn't expect them to cause the problem.
mr-5-59

Post by mr-5-59 »

Yes , the same type of mail messages , and other definitely html (many of them came from an automatic system for alarms and are repetitive)
And then now it's ok IE 11 with the home page that i mentioned and it's ok the help of the ODBC driver for Oracle called from odbcad32.
I can not find a rational reason.
But as before there was the 3 errors, now not there are the 3 errors.
I hope it lasts , but I know there is no certainty that everything is really okay .....
In Italy we say: Bho! :shock:
... and ... KB3038314 for IE11 is still not complete ......
Mystery!
Today I have restarted again more than once the PC. Still OK, all the day! Bho!
Because now looks ok I just do not take other actions, ready to do the recommended actions if ( when ... ) the problem returns

Ciao