Deleted Message Indicator Missing

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Rakdan

Deleted Message Indicator Missing

Post by Rakdan »

I just updated POP Peeper to 4.0.1, and I can no longer tell which messages are flagged for deletion without right clicking every message.
Unless I can fix this problem, I will have to revert back to the previous version of POP Peeper.
There is no way to protect against accidentally deleting messages without the deleted message flag.
I believe that it used to have a red x to the left of the message when it was flagged for deletion.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Deleted Message Indicator Missing

Post by Jeff »

Again with the red-X! :?

Anyway, Pete has a good write-up of what to do here:
http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... ion#p30301

And: do you think you removed the column yourself (maybe in attempt to remove new, unwanted columns)? Is the column there but you didn't recognize the icon?
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

It turns out that the column got deleted, but I did not do it. It is one of several problems with the update to 4.0.1, all of which can be fixed by the user, but they take some time to figure out how to fix.
1. Settings get changed.
First, I lost this column. I immediately thought of checking for columns to restore as you infer in your answer. However, the deletion marker column has an explanation mark as an icon.
So, I assumed that the column was an indicator of priority messages.
The other setting that the update procedure changed on me was that the two buttons that I had below my list of accounts disappeared. Once is to check mail, and I think that the other
is to open the web browser. I always use the first button, but never the second. Anyway, to fix this, I looked through all the options. It was not listed. Then, I went to PPTweaker and
found the option there.
The other problem with the update is that it says that you don't have to reinstall SSL if it is already installed. I did not reinstall it. Then, when I checked for updates, it showed a status
of failed for SSL. I tried repeating the update procedure, this time including SSL, and that solved the problem. My SSL version must have been too old.

Thanks for your help and continued support for the product.

Jeff
mjs

Post by mjs »

Rakdan wrote: ..... the deletion marker column has an explanation mark as an icon.
So, I assumed that the column was an indicator of priority messages.
The "Misc Status" column ("!" column) can be for multiple notifications.

If you hover over the "!" column (Misc Status column) you'll see a tool-tip message that states: "Misc Status, Deleted, attachments, priority etc.", so it can be for "priority" as you've mentioned but of course the other "deleted" (trashcan) and "attachments" (paperclip) etc. can apply as well.

So this mouse hover tool-tip message is pretty much self explanatory. :D And if you think about it, considering the preferential column width (you wouldn't want it very wide, especially because it is relatively not typically used that much) the "!" is a good summation so to speak as far as the fact the column is occasionally exclaiming specific individual notations to the user. :idea:
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Rakdan -- Can you send me the original column definitions you had for the mail list column in v3? Here's what you need to do:

1) POP Peeper v4 should have made a backup of your v3 data. The location of this backup is the same location as it was, but with "-v3" appended to it. So, for example, if it was previously in:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\
it was moved to:
C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper-v3\

2) In that folder is your poppeeper.ini file -- edit this file with a text editor

3) Search for ColumnDataMail and copy/paste that line; also, if there is a ColumnDataMailStatic, include that line, too.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

> Rakdan -- Can you send me the original column definitions you had for the mail list column in v3? Here's what you need to do: ...

I did not respond earlier because I thought that I was subscribed to this topic, but apparently I was not.

I have all my data. Once I figured out how to get my settings back to show the icons that I wanted and the column heading that I wanted, I got back to how I live things.

On an unrelated topic, how does the message archiving work? I accidentally archived a message, and then tried to figure out where it was because I meant to delete it.
I found a folder with lots of old messages, so I deleted them all. But, I was not even aware that these items were being saved on my machine and I could not figure out how to view the archived messages in POP Peeper, to unarchive them, or to delete them. I would like to know how to clean out the archive folder regularly, and possibly to use the feature if it turns out to be something that I would like.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

Actually, the notifications are not working. I was subscribed to the topic, but I did not get notified of the last two posts.
mjs

Post by mjs »

Rakdan wrote:Actually, the notifications are not working. I was subscribed to the topic, but I did not get notified of the last two posts.
Pete has posted a detailed explanation regarding this in another recent topic that may be of help, CLICK HERE
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Sorry for not mentioning this before, but I'd still like to see the data field that you had from v3 so that I can try to duplicate it and see why there was a problem.

Archive -- PP only archives messages if you tell it to. To access archived messages, select the account in the Accounts List and then, from the main menu: View / Explore -> Archive folder
If you have the Plus Pack, you can also use View / MailBox -> Archive

Sent messages are saved by default, maybe that's what you deleted? You can disable that under Tools / Options / Send Mail (I would not recommend disabling outgoing/outbox messages or you may lose messages that were not sent yet [outgoing messages are encrypted]).

Deleted and Junk messages are NOT saved by default.
Rakdan

Post by Rakdan »

There is no ColumnDataMail line.

There is a line
ColumnDataMailStatic = 0
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In that case, it will use the default columns, which does include the '!' column. Just to make sure, I tested that condition and upgraded from v3->v4 and the column was there. So the mystery remains unsolved.