Force compact option

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Cyp

Force compact option

Post by Cyp »

Hi,

I would like to have the "Force compact on next start" option that remains active.
Currently it is only valid one time (after next restart the option is unchecked)

Cyp
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Force compact option

Post by Jeff »

Welcome to the forums, Cyp.

The option to compact on next start is not something that's intended to be used casually. Unless you delete and receive thousands of messages every time, you're not going to notice any impact from compacting. You can define the number of days when PP performs the compact, which should be close enough to what you want. In general, however, the default 90 days should suffice.
Cyp

Post by Cyp »

Thank you Jeff.

Indeed I receive lof of emails, with attachments, and the data folder is often quite big.
I have set the option to 1 day (everyday) but sometimes it doesn't seem to work properly.
So I set the option "compact next restart", quit and restart PP.
I'm doing daily backups of PP (with data) on a USB stick so that's why I'm concerned with the size ;)

Cyp
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

"1 day" is really "24 hours" and it's only applicable when PP starts. So if you don't shutdown PP, it's not going to perform maintenance. Or if the previous DB maint was at 9:00a and you start PP at 8:59a the next day, it won't run.