notification flag won't clear

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
captJac

notification flag won't clear

Post by captJac »

The notification flag indicats I have an unread mail in one of my accounts. I have read all the emails in that account. I have deleted all the emails in that account. There still is a red flag on the side of the mailbox and a "1" in the unread column of the email account. I have tried reloading pop-peeper. I have reset my computer (Windows 8) - the flag persists - the "1" persists. I have run out of ideas. Perhaps it is the phase of the moon? Any help would be appreciated.

captJac
spc3rd

Re: notification flag won't clear

Post by spc3rd »

Good morning captJac and welcome to the PP Forums!

The issue you're reporting recently happened to another member. Please have a look at the topic HERE. Information is also posted there by lakrsrool, as well as, Jeff, which should help resolve the problem.

Please post back and let us know if you were able to remedy the issue.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
captJac

Post by captJac »

I am using PP version V4.0.1. Per your suggestion I checked the settings in my Gmail account and it shows imap is enabled. Same problem exists - with no email in my Gmail1 account - the unread email column continues to show "1" instead of "0". However the red flag in the mailbox icon is now down where before it indicated there was mail in the box when it was empty - so that is one step forward.

Thanks for your support.

captJac
mjs

Post by mjs »

In regards to the link provided by Pete (spc3rd), it would be best for you to first scroll down to the bottom of that topic and check out what Jeff had to say, more specific to that read the following:

Here's most likely what you need to do captJac, go to the PP main menu and click on "Messages", you will probably see at least one or more options checked one of which may be "Hide hidden Messages" and/or the other "Enable display filters".

If you uncheck "Hide hidden Messages" then depending upon why the message was hidden they will then display in the PP inbox (i.e. if the message was marked as hidden because of the "BCC rule" for example then the message will display in italics when unhidden since as I understand it messages marked as hidden by a "display filter" will be in italics, with the possible exception of "Junk" mail).

You may want to try the following FIRST:

To make sure you will see ALL messages that may be hidden in the PP inbox uncheck "Enable display filters". Unchecking this option will give you a message box explaining what this will do. If unchecked "ALL" messages will become visible in the PP inbox. Keep in mind, this setting (unchecked) should only be temporary to be able to find the hidden message(s) you're looking for. By unchecking this option you will also see a list of what "display filters" are affected when unchecked.

Try this, you should then presumably see the mail that is tabulated in your "unread" column for that specific account and then decide what to do with it based on why the email was filtered (btw, perhaps not in this case but FYI, if an email remains "unread" and happens to be filtered as "Junk" for example then you should also see a "red envelope" in the systray PP icon as long as it remains "unread". Also if there happens to be "Junk" mail your "Junk View" button will display in an yellow/orange color).

Please be sure and let us know if doing this solves your problem.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
captJac

Post by captJac »

I unchecked "hide hidden messages" and "enable display filters". No hidden messages seen in that account. The "1" count continues. Maybe needs a good 1-2 punch to zero it out? ](*,)
mjs

Post by mjs »

To reiterate, so all email has been deleted in PP and I'm assuming you have no emails at all listed in the PP "inbox" for this account since you've said you have "deleted all the emails in that account" that has the "1" count in the "unread" column with both "hide hidden messages" and "enable display filters" unchecked.

OK, captJac we're going to try a few things if you don't mind (enumerated below) with the "Enable display filters" unchecked.

Step 1) Do a right/click on this specific account with the "1" count in the "unread" column and click on "View Messages" (your account name will show here too).

Are any messages listed in the inbox now at this time after doing the above :?: (you have said you've deleted all emails in this account so I'm just checking to see what this displays if anything after doing this).

So if no emails are displayed go to step 2.

Step 2) Do a right/click on this specific account and click on "Remove messages from list". You should now see that "1" count in the "unread" column change to "0". Now do a "Mail check" on that specific account, that is right/click on this specific account and click on "Check Mail", does the "1" count in the "unread" column return :?:

If the "1" count remains "0" and you still have no "messages" then we're done, problem solved skip remaining steps (but frankly, I don't expect this outcome unfortunately).

If the "1" count has returned after doing the "Mail check": Do Step 1 again that you did before (see above), do you see any messages for this account now :?:

Step 3) If you still do not see any messages then try this captJac, do a right/click on this account with the "1" count in the "unread" column and click on "Server info". How many messages does this server info box say you have :?:

Step 4) If it's not to much trouble while this server info box is displayed, would you please capture this (save this box) and post here in this topic when you can. You do this while this box is displayed by holding down the "ALT" key + "Prt Sc" key (at the same time) and then post this information here in this topic by replying and placing cursor in reply and right/click and select "Paste" to provide this information in your reply.

If you have any questions post back, thanks very much for the help captJac.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
captJac

Post by captJac »

Step 1 and step 2 and it went from bad to worse. The hide/read button was grayed out and all emails from all 3 accounts displayed - some 2500 of them. PP gave me an error message it could no longer run. Think it was mad from me checking and unchecking and all that clicking. Did the only reasonable thing I could think of - turned off my computer and ate lunch. Same error message after lunch. Next idea - reinstall PP. It was really mad - same error message. New idea - maybe the old version was still sneaking in some of its data files? Located the old version and did an uninstall everything. Located the new version and uninstalled everything. Reinstalled the new version. Error message went away. Set up the 3 accounts again - one at a time. Yahoo and 2 Gmail accounts. The 2nd Gmail account was the one always showing the "1" unread email. The "1" didn't bother me - it was just not being able to see the "0". Yahoo was "0". Gmail1 was "0". Gmail2 was "0". At long last!! Lesson learned: Do an uninstall before reinstalling. It's those simple things that beats you up and reduces your hair count. The original problem in version 3.1 would have probably gone away when I installed version 4.1 - but it was exacerbated by my NOT UNINSTALLING before I did a reinstall. Thanks again for all your support and time. I apologize for kicking up the dust instead of kicking me.

captJac
mjs

Post by mjs »

OK, first of all apparently you had the "Hide read messages" enabled (checked) which is a setting that would show up in the "Messages" menu drop-down (and of course the "Hide read" button for this in your toolbar will have been depressed which is where you probably initiated the option). As to the grayed "Hide Read" button, this is what should happen when the "Enable display filters" is unchecked that I had requested you do which by doing so ultimately disables all display filters which in turn would also disable the "Hide Read" button (because in this case it would not apply) therefore it is grayed out. You had probably not noticed that by unchecking the "Enable display filters" then at the same time the "Hide Read" button was grayed out at that time as a result. The grayed out "Hide Read" button had nothing at all to do with either Step 1 or Step 2 (it was already grayed out when the "Enable display filters" was unchecked) that I had previously asked you to do.

In regards to the fact that as you stated "... all emails from all 3 accounts displayed...", again this is what should occur if the "Enable display filters" is unchecked, because by "unchecking" this option your are disabling all "display filters" so all emails will then display as a result. The steps I requested you do was be design as to why I was having you go through each step one at a time in the order prescribed to perhaps find the "mystery" email that wasn't displaying in the inbox that would account for that "1" count in the "unread" column for that specific account. Because you had "Hide read" button enabled (depressed) you were not getting any emails listed (as they were all "read" emails presumably) in your inbox which by unchecking "Enable display filters" disabled this function and is the reason why I had you do the following below.

I had requested that you right/click on the account to ONLY view the emails for that specific account so that the inbox would narrow down to only that email account to help facilitate our attempt to find the "mystery" email which if found would have been an email that displayed a "closed" envelope (instead of "open" envelope) in the "Read status" column.

Unfortunately causing all the "read" emails (that you btw had not deleted) to display was apparently confusing to you along with the "grayed" out "Hide Read" button (perhaps something that I should have anticipated and asked you about as to whether the "Hide Read" option had been enabled). Oh and as to the "error message" you've mentioned, absent any more information it is difficult to know what this was about (however it does sound peculiar as far as how you've described the message).

In regards to the installation, V4 should install without any issues with V3 still installed and in fact is the way it should be installed in the same location as v3 otherwise there may be a risk of losing some aspects of your PP data. In this case it most likely didn't matter so don't be concerned about this.

And finally as to fixing the problem, it was not really the install that fixed the problem it was that you quote - "Set up the 3 accounts again...." which by doing so initialized all counts back to zero for each account installed. We could have done this but before taking this approach it would have been preferable to try the steps I had suggested in order to get more information that may have helped. This is why I had requested that you post back any questions you might have had at the time as we went along.

Oh well, at least the problem is fixed so in the end that's all that really counts (notice the pun :)), right :?: captJac :wink: Oh and absolutely no apologies necessary of course, just happy to know you're finally back to running smoothly again. :D
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

captJac -- sorry for the problems you had, but glad you got it working as you expect. It's hard to say exactly what the problem may have been, but if you run into it again, please let us know. This kind of issue is better suited for discussion via email so that I can get specific details about the problem.