Installing POP Peeper v4 on USB drive

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ted

Installing POP Peeper v4 on USB drive

Post by ted »

I have successfully run earlier version of PP totally on a portable USB drive. Under the POPPeeper folder I have had the data folder and it has worked fine for years including upgrading to new versions as they came along. However with the new version 4, although it appears to install fine, when I try to run it it keeps telling me:
The data path is not a valid folder. Errors may occur if you continue.
C:\Documents and Settings\<my name>\My Documents\email\POPPeeper
Do you want to continue?

I don't want POP Peeper to use any files on a C: drive as I intend my USB drive to be portable between systems. How do I achieve this with version 4?
mjs

Re: Installing POP Peeper v4 on USB drive

Post by mjs »

Jeff will will be able to better help you out with more detailed specifics regarding your issue later today but in the meantime I have a question; when installing PP for portable use on a USB drive have you tried using the "(Download zip)" link in the Downloads page and then tried moving the unzipped files to your USB drive to be used there?

Also until Jeff can get to this CLICK HERE and take a look at Jeff's last comment in this specific topic related to this subject and see if this might help out as well that has to do with the data path(s) which looks like you've already done successfully in the past.

Again, if you continue to have problems with this, Jeff will certainly be able to help you out sometime later on, I just wanted to touch on a couple of things until then.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Installing POP Peeper v4 on USB drive

Post by Jeff »

That is not a normal folder name, so I don't know where POP Peeper got that from unless it was specified.

Go to Tools / Options / Storage and set the "data path" to data to create the portable data folder. You may also want to make sure that the "Ini Location" is using the one you think it is (ie. on your usb drive); I'm wondering if the ini files got confused and that's why your data location is different than what you expected.