[Bug/Crash] POP Peeper 4.0.1 + AntiJunk 4.0.1.0 plugin

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ilupp

[Bug/Crash] POP Peeper 4.0.1 + AntiJunk 4.0.1.0 plugin

Post by ilupp »

POP Peeper 4.0.1
AntiJunk 4.0.1.0 plugin
Windows 7 Professional SP1 (x64)

Bug description:

There exists a bug within POP Peeper 4.0.1 + AntiJunk 4.0.1.0 where if you don't supply a service to report spam to in the plugin's settings (by unchecking all listed service names), POP Peeper will crash upon trying to display the popup menu which is normally displayed when right-clicking on any mail item in the Inbox view.

Steps to reproduce:

1) Ensure that the AntiJunk 4.0.1.0 is installed and enabled.
2) Within the main POP Peeper interface, select the following menu: Tools > AntiJunk > Settings...
3) Witihn the AntiJunk settings, select "Report Spam".
4) Uncheck all service names. Click OK.
5) Under any account's Inbox view, right-click on any piece of mail. Instead of displaying a drop-down menu, POP Peeper will crash.

I'm not entirely sure if the bug resides within POPPeeper.exe itself or the plugin, though Windows indicates that it was POPPeeper.exe that crashed.
spc3rd

Re: [Bug/Crash] POP Peeper 4.0.1 + AntiJunk 4.0.1.0 plugin

Post by spc3rd »

Welcome to the PP Forums, illup, and thank you for reporting the problem you're experiencing.

The issue you've described has been reported by another PP user not long ago, which Jeff is aware of. (Please see topic at the link shown below):

http://www.esumsoft.com/Forums/viewtopi ... 567#p30567" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Best regards,
Global Moderator
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

i am getting close downs on a regular basis so i will try this

pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

ha...cant try it, i haven't bought the pro, i did wonder how long it would take before the people who have been with this program since the early days would be penalized for not splashing out further money :-(
mjs

Post by mjs »

pop_pepper wrote:ha...cant try it, i haven't bought the pro, i did wonder how long it would take before the people who have been with this program since the early days would be penalized for not splashing out further money :-(
Hi pop_pepper, you're not getting this message because you haven't purchased Pro as the purchase of Pro remains totally optional on your part. The information provided in the Pro version will revert to the free version after the 30 day topic that still remains at the bottom of the first page of this Tech Support forum has not changed. Please refer to that link posted here for further details (that is click on the link in that specific topic for details). Based on what is known at this time, this specific error message is caused by right/clicking on an email message in the PP inbox but only if all Anti-Junk "report SPAM services" had been previously disabled (unchecked) at some point prior to this.

So the question is, have you sometimes been right/clicking on PP inbox messages :?: If the answer to this question is "yes" you can optionally skip past the following details to where you see "solution" in red and follow the suggestions provided to presumably resolve your issue for now.

If you read over the initial post by ilupp in this topic, you'll notice PP Pro has a known "bug" (which will be fixed in the next release of PP Pro btw) when the steps as described in this topic have been done (in other words anybody who does what has been described will get this message that PP has "stopped working"). You have stated this problem has been occurring "on a regular basis" for you, so the question would be have you at some point "uncheck all service names" as described in "step 4" in the initial post here in this topic :?: (this as you can see is done by following steps 2 - 4).

In other words have you at some point unchecked all the Anti-junk "Report SPAM" services (each "Service name" is unchecked for all in the list, thinking perhaps you didn't want this service) :?:

And have you also done as "step 5" is described above in the first post in this topic as well :?: (that is right/click on a message in the PP inbox at some point which then brought about this error message in your case)

In other words do you sometimes right/click on an email message and if so is this when PP gets the "stopped working" message :?:

Try this pop_pepper as a possible solution for now, in the main menu - click on the following: "Tools" > "AntiJunk" > "Settings" > "Report Spam", are all items in the "Service name" list unchecked :?: If all are unchecked then check at least one of these options and this will "fix" your problem for now (you will be able to right/click on an email message without any problem). On the other hand if at least one IS checked in this list then continue to read the next paragraph below. (Also keep in mind just checking these options does not actively "report SPAM", it takes further action by you to do this so you need not be concerned about checking these options).

If this is NOT what you have done that is causing this error message that you've posted above then would you please post back in this topic what exactly you are doing that will cause Pop Peeper to have "stopped working" in your case, that is what exactly is it that your doing that produces that message box you posted above that is different than what has been described in this topic :?: This information will help us to know what is causing PP to crash (stop working) in your case.

And thanks pop_pepper for that information if in fact you're doing something different that has caused this problem than what is described here in this topic.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
pop_pepper

Post by pop_pepper »

today i have done a fresh install of windows 7 and then used a restore file to to gte all my accounts back in and guess what same issue, closes down. i think its got something to do with either the amount of account i have in it, over 50 or the amount of email thats in pop peeper, my back up restore size wa over 200 mb
mjs

Post by mjs »

pop_pepper wrote:today i have done a fresh install of windows 7 and then used a restore file to to gte all my accounts back in and guess what same issue, closes down. i think its got something to do with either the amount of account i have in it, over 50 or the amount of email thats in pop peeper, my back up restore size wa over 200 mb
I can't see how your issues are related to what you've described here. Now as to using a "restore file" this may be problematic depending upon what you mean by this, but lets not go there for now.

What exactly had you done just prior to when it (presumably you mean Pop Peeper) "closes down" :?: (this is what we need to know)

It sounds like you are able to repeat the steps that causes this, can you please provide exactly what are the actions you take immediately preceding when Pop Peeper "stops working" :?:

Are you getting the same window message stating that "Pop Peeper Email Notifier has stopped working" that you posted to this topic previously :?:

We need more information to be able to help so please post back more details regarding what exactly it is that you've done just prior to when Pop Peeper presumably crashes.

Have you changed any settings in Pop Peeper :?: .... More specific to this, in the main PP menu - please go to the following menu items (these are the functions you see across the very top of the main PP window): Click on "Tools" then move your mouse (cursor) down to "AntiJunk" and Click on "Settings" (in the popup context-menu) then select (click on) "Report Spam", in this window are any of items in the "Service name" list checked (that is are there any check marks in the little boxes in front of the "Service name(s)") :?: If there are no checks at all, then check at least one of these "Services name(s)" and Click "OK". Doing this should "fix" the Pop Peeper "Stop working" issue (more details on this issue are included in my previous post above)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers