Q: Apply newly-created Rules (AntiJunk) to offline messages?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ilupp

Q: Apply newly-created Rules (AntiJunk) to offline messages?

Post by ilupp »

Is there a way to apply/eval newly-created Rules within AntiJunk to mail that has previously been fetched and is sitting in my Inbox displayed locally within POP Peeper?

Lets say I have several IMAP accounts in POP Peeper of which I have previously checked mail for each account. Having AntiJunk enabled, some of the checked messages were auto-flagged as Junk while others were not and remained in the Inbox. I see somewhat "spammy" subjects for pieces of mail in the Inbox display so I open up AntiJunk's settings and create a new regex rule to flag future pieces of mail which would match the regex that is applied to the subject lines. Now, I'm confident the subject line regex rule will be applied the next time POP Peeper checks for new messages, but is there an option to once-over apply/eval my new rule to pieces of mail already displayed in my Inbox?
spc3rd

Re: Q: Apply newly-created Rules (AntiJunk) to offline mssgs

Post by spc3rd »

Hi ilupp,

What you can do is to right-click on the messages in the Inbox list that you wish to re-evaluate with the newly created rules, select "Remove from list" - this will remove the message(s) from PP and re-download them again when either PP does its next scheduled mail check of the account(s), or you can do a manual mail check of the accounts after removing all the messages you want.

Please post back and let us know if this worked for you and the new rules you created also functioned as you expected.

Best regards,
Last edited by spc3rd on Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited TITLE.
Global Moderator
ilupp

Post by ilupp »

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I saw no "Remove from list" option from selecting & right-clicking on the message in the Inbox display, however, I did notice that navigating through the drop-down menu I found: "AntiJunk > Re-evaluate message" and it did exactly what I wanted it to do. I also found that selecting multiple messages in the Inbox display and right-clicking > "AntiJunk > Re-evaluate message" applied the rules to all of the selected messages. Sweet.

Thanks!

P.S. The only minor tweak I would suggest the author make is that if you select multiple messages and right-click then navigate to the AntiJunk sub-menu, it should say "Re-evaluate messages" as opposed to just showing what it currently does: "Re-evaluate message".
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Much obliged for posting back with that info, ilupp!

The additional method of accomplishing what you wanted should be of help to any other members desiring to do the same thing.

I'm a bit puzzled though why you didn't see the "Remove messages from list" option after right-clicking on the messages. Jeff should be along shortly and perhaps can shed some light on that one, and also note your suggestion.

Cheers!
Global Moderator
ilupp

Re: Q: Apply newly-created Rules (AntiJunk) to offline messa

Post by ilupp »

Yeah, I'm not sure why I didn't see that option either.

POP Peeper 4.0.1, Windows 7 (x64) SP1, WebMail 4.0.16 plugin
spc3rd

Post by spc3rd »

Greeting again, ilupp,

It may be the "Remove messages from list" option isn't available in the PP version you're currently using. I'm actually using a different one on my end.
Thanks for providing the screenshot too!

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

"Remove messages from list" is only available if you have enabled "Advanced options" under Tools / Options / General. It's primarily a trouble-shooting technique (and developer's tool).

As for plural-izing "messages" -- that's the kind of thing I did in the early days -- before POP Peeper was translated into other languages. Unfortunately, that kind of thing is impractical for multilingual programs.