Marked as read

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Catman51

Marked as read

Post by Catman51 »

I tried searching, but couldn't find an answer here.
What's happening is when poppeeper receives a message, without me opening it, it gets marked read on line and on my phone, so I get no notification on the phone of
new email.
Is there a way to keep it unread everywhere when I haven't opened it?
Thanks,
Steve
SteveM
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Marked as read

Post by Jeff »

Note to others: this refers to a feature that will be added in v4.1, which is currently in beta.

Existing ini files need to manually enable this option in v4.1 (it's enabled by default for new ini files). This is mentioned on the beta download page and on the upgrade window when you start PP v4.1 for the first time:
Imap support for synchronizing read/unread state is now available. This option is DISABLED BY DEFAULT FOR EXISTING USERS. To enable it:
Main Menu: Tools / PPTweaker / Misc page; enable:
'IMAP: Sync read/unread state with server'

Also, for future reference:
http://www.esumsoft.com/products/pop-pe ... q=ImapSync
Catman51

Post by Catman51 »

Yes, I read that earlier and enabled it. But, while they're unread in Poppeeper, they're marked read everywhere else?
SteveM
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Are you sure that PP is using IMAP for the account(s) in question? It won't work for WebMail server types (Hotmail, GMail, Yahoo, etc.) -- you must use IMAP for those accounts instead. To clarify, those accounts listed CAN use IMAP, you just have to make sure the "server type" is IMAP and not one of those listed.
Catman51

Post by Catman51 »

Imap for Gmail, AOL and yahoo.
SteveM
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I need to check your versions:
From PP's main menu, select File / Error overview
Press the 'copy' button
Then use Paste in your reply.
Catman51

Post by Catman51 »

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.1.0.2002
Webmail: 4.0.17.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.1.0.2002
RSS: 4.1.0.2002
SendMail: 4.1.0.2002
Chime: 3.0.0.0
Notification ScreenSaver: 3.0.0.0
Notification Skin: 3.6.0.0
Notification Voice: 4.1.0.2002
Profile Picture: 4.1.0.2002
AntiJunk: 4.1.0.2002
Spell Checker: 4.1.0.2002
Web of Trust: 4.1.0.2002

--- Error ---
(none)
SteveM
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Ok, looks good.

This next test is best done with an account currently connected to an account in the idle state. To see if an account is in idle, make sure that no activity is occurring (ie. the PP status bar says "X minutes remaining..."), then right-click on an IMAP account and see if "disconnected" is enabled or not. If it's enabled, that means it's connected with idle; otherwise, it's not connected. If you don't see "disconnected" at all, go to Tools / Options / General and enable "Advanced options" on the top-right. Yahoo doesn't support IDLE so don't bother trying to use that one; both GMail and AOL support it, as long as it's enabled in your accounts.

1) pick a message in your list and select it (don't open it)
2) find the same message in the list of another client; I prefer to use a basic web-based interface (ie. SquirrelMail, but just about any web-based interface will work) because that way you can refresh the page and make certain that you have the current read-state of the message. A phone or desktop app may not update immediately for a variety of reasons and then you'll sit there wondering if the read-state changed or whether the app hasn't updated yet.
3) Toggle the read-state in PP ('insert' on your keyboard); if you're in idle, you should see activity in PP's statusbar
4) In your other client, you should see the message update the read-status; you may want to repeat steps 3&4 if the message's read-status started out of sync. But if you don't see any activity in step #3 as I suspect, it probably won't matter.

btw, when you enabled the sync-read option, did you opt to (a) send or (b) receive the read-status to/from the server? It shouldn't matter at this point, but I am curious. If you have no idea what I'm talking about -- are you absolutely, positively sure that you enabled the sync-read option in PPtweaker?

Also, is it possible that you have another instance of PP that may be checking the same accounts running somewhere else, which doesn't have the option enabled? The behavior that you've described should not happen as long as sync-read is enabled.
Catman51

Post by Catman51 »

Okay, got as far as right clicking on an account, but the drop down doesn't say connected or disconnected?
Also, if my phone gets the email first and I read it there, then come back to PP and hit get mail, it comes in as unread, shouldn't it show up as read?
SteveM
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

> If you don't see "disconnected" at all, go to Tools / Options / General and enable "Advanced options" on the top-right.

Re: Also, if my phone gets the email first and I read it there, then come back to PP and hit get mail, it comes in as unread, shouldn't it show up as read?

For my own peace of mind, I did some testing -- in beta1, if you had disabled Tools / Options / Message Retrieval / "Use read status from server on initial retrieval" then all messages would come in as unread, even if you had enabled the sync-read option. I couldn't remember if I had fixed this for beta2 or after, but testing shows that it was fixed in beta2. That is, if you have enabled sync-read, the aforementioned "use read status" option is ignored (for imap; it's still used for webmail).

You have the Plus Pack, right? Would it be possible for you to create a new folder and then add 2 or 3 test messages to it. This would make it easier if/when we need to start logging the activity. Here's what I would do:
1) Send 3 test messages to the email address you want to test with. These should be simple "test 1/2/3" messages. I would also recommend sending from a different email address so that they don't get caught by PP's BCC rule.
2) Once PP has received those 3 test messages: select all 3 messages; right-click one of the selected and select IMAP Move -> Select Folder
3) You'll see the folders window, you may need to wait a moment for the folders to update. Press the "Add folder" button
4) Create whatever named folder, I'll call it pptest -- leave it as a subfolder of INBOX -- and press OK
5) Make sure that the new folder (e.g. INBOX.pptest) is selected in the list on the left, press the "Select" button

Ok, the test messages have been moved, so now we need PP to access that folder:
1) In the Accounts List, edit the account that you had originally sent the 3 test messages to
2) Press the "IMAP folders" button
3) It may take a moment to retrieve the list of folders... if you do not see your newly created folder, INBOX.pptest, press the "refresh" button
4) Select 'INBOX.pptest' in the list
5) Press the "Auto-Create" button
6) Go back to the main PP window and you should now see a new account which is for your pptest folder
7) Right-click on the pptest account, select "check mail" and you should see the 3 test messages you originally sent

Now you'll be able to manipulate those 3 messages and send me any future logs using that account without having to worry about any overly-sensitive information getting leaked out. And it will also minimize the amount of irrelevant data in the logs.
Catman51

Post by Catman51 »

I created new folder test, not seeing it and can't find where pptest or how to move the 3 emails at all?
SteveM
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I edited the instructions to add step #5 to the "move" set, and made a couple of other clarifying edits, that is, the name of the resulting folder will be INBOX.pptest
Catman51

Post by Catman51 »

Sorry, not ignoring you, just have not figured out how to do what you need.
SteveM
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Let me know where you're getting stuck. I followed my own instructions successfully, but that doesn't mean I didn't miss something...

Anyway, this is really just to make things easier since the only thing left to do to troubleshoot the issue is get a log from you and see what's really going on. It's not necessary if you just want to get started. Send me an email (support at esumsoft dot com) and we'll get started.
Catman51

Post by Catman51 »

Will have more time to look at it tomorrow, will email you then. Thank you.
SteveM