not leaving copy on yahoo server?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
spc3rd

Re: not leaving copy on yahoo server?

Post by spc3rd »

Hi johnwrites,

Your question may be one which Jeff can answer with more certainty than I. However, I can confirm that I experience the same issue as you when I've sent test emails from two of my own Yahoo accounts (IMAP).

Best regards,
Global Moderator
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Using SMTP to send will not save a copy. However, what you can do is BCC yourself (you can set PP to automatically BCC yourself: edit account; Send Mail page; set BCC to your own email address) and then create a server-side rule to automatically move messages from your email address into the 'Sent' folder. You could technically set the rule up in PP using AntiJunk's rules, but it would be much more efficient and better to do it in your Yahoo account.
rd4pp

Post by rd4pp »

Hi,

I was recently forced to change one of my Yahoo accounts to IMAP from Webmail because PP would error out every time I tried to send mail.

I noticed that messages for that account sent from PP no longer appear on the Yahoo Sent folder, which is disappointing, since I've often used my Sent folder to find messages for additional follow-ups.

Is not saving messages to the Sent folder a feature of IMAP vs Webmail?

I tried to follow the suggestion given, but Filters on Yahoo do not allow me to save mail from myself to the default Sent folder, which is where I would want them to go. The Sent folder is not available in the list of folders.

Do I have to create a second "Sent2" folder if I want PP/IMAP messages to be saved in a "sent" folder?
Have others tried saving to the default Sent folder?

Thanks,
rd4pp
mjs

Post by mjs »

Hi rd4pp,

I also find the same thing, that is that Yahoo (as well as other accounts i.e. Hotmail for example) do not provide the option to redirect filtered mail to the Email Clients' resident "Sent" Folder. Of course (as I've done in some cases for other reasons than this) an alternate "Sent 2" Folder for example can be created and used to redirect filtered mail to the newly created "Sent 2" folder.

That said, I would recommend that you wait until Jeff can address this for you, especially because I presume in this case you would probably prefer to use the Email Clients' resident "Sent" Folder if possible.

To answer your question:
rd4pp wrote: Is not saving messages to the Sent folder a feature of IMAP vs Webmail?
Jeff wrote:Using SMTP to send will not save a copy.
You'll notice that Jeff mentioned that there is method to "set the rule up in PP using AntiJunk's rules" as opposed to creating a server-side rule to filter messages from your email address into the Email Clients' resident "Sent" folder which would be best explained by him.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

You're right... and as lakrsrool mentioned, nor does Hotmail allow this; and nor does GMail.

Ok, here's the rule you can create in POP Peeper's AntiJunk to move messages from yourself to the Sent folder. Please read below for some special notes about this...

Code: Select all

[Rules]
From self; move to Sent_Action = 2 65550 0 "" "" 0 16777215 "Sent"
From self; move to Sent_Rule00 = 0 1 0 "From" 0 "%email%"
From self; move to Sent_Rule01 = 1 1 0 "To" 1 "%email%"
From self; move to Sent_Rule02 = 2 1 0 "CC" 1 "%email%"
From self; move to Sent_Rule03 = 3 1 9 "+Account" 0 "YourYahooAccount1, YourYahooAccount2"
From self; move to Sent_Status = 
How to use this:
1) Copy the text above
2) In PP, main menu: Tools / AntiJunk -> Main interface
3) On the *left*, select "Rules"
4) From the toolbar, Press the "Add" button
5) From the menu, select Edit / Paste rule set
6) Modify the "YourYahooAccount" values you'll see in the last line of the rules to the name of your Yahoo accounts. See below for explanation

NOTES
- This will affect all your IMAP accounts and move messages that you've BCC'd yourself to the "Sent" folder. Some accounts may not call it the 'Sent' folder (e.g. Gmail is "[GMail]/Sent Mail") and some accounts may even reject that folder. The standard folder is "INBOX.Sent"
- For generic purposes, you may want to use "INBOX.Sent" instead. But if you did that, you may as well use the server-side rules
- It is possible to specify that this rule only applies to specific accounts. In fact, I've added that line into the rule set so you can change it easily.

A couple other things worth mentioning in case you're curious about some of the things in this rule:
- The %email% text is a special flag which means "your email address for the account that received the email being processed"
- The "to" and "cc" rules allow you to send messages to yourself directly and still receive them. This allows only messages that you've BCC'd yourself to be moved.
- The actions -- mark read, ignore, and hide -- are applied so that POP Peeper doesn't notify you of the message before it moves it.

It probably looks more intimidating than it actually is. Give it a go and let me know if you have any questions.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Jeff,
I am trying to implement these rules.
But I get an error.
Is this a problem naming the server "sent" box?
gordon

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.9003
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.9003
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
AAAYahooxxxxxxx55 [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Send Mail: Login Error: Auth XOAUTH2
Server Returned: 4.3.2 Internal server error (#OCF014) (#451)
Attachments
sentrules.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

That doesn't look like it should have anything to do with AntiJunk; the error is occurring with a message you're trying to send.

Try resetting the OAuth2 credentials:
1) Edit the account in POP Peeper
2) Press the "OAuth2" button
3) When prompted if you want to delete the existing OAuth credentials, select "Yes"
4) Follow the instructions to re-authorize POP Peeper to access your account for OAuth2

Of course, this may not help. "Internal server error" is not a good message to see -- that text comes directly from Yahoo.
gordon

Post by gordon »

I redid Oauth2 and got the same error.
When I unselect the new rule, I get no error.

--- Version ---
POP Peeper: 4.3.0.9003
Webmail: 4.3.1.0
SSL: 1.0.1.8
IMAP: 4.3.0.0
RSS: 4.3.0.0
SendMail: 4.3.0.9003
Notification Voice: 4.3.0.0
Profile Picture: 4.3.0.0
AntiJunk: 4.3.0.0
Spell Checker: 4.3.0.0
Web of Trust: 4.3.0.0

--- Error ---
AAAYahoogordonwilsoxxxx [1000: IMAP] ['imap.mail.yahoo.com' (993) SSL: 1] [Smtp: 'smtp.mail.yahoo.com' (587) SSL: 2]
Send Mail: Login Error: Auth XOAUTH2
Server Returned: 4.3.2 Internal server error (#OCF014) (#451)
Attachments
sentrules2.jpg
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Do you have a message in the Outbox for that account? If so, I suspect that it hasn't been able to be sent out and the error is not directly related to the rule.
gordon

Post by gordon »

OK, I get no error now :-)
But sending a letter does not put the letter in my yahoo sent box :-(
Do I need to edit the script?
Here is the script again:
Attachments
sentbox1.jpg
mjs

Post by mjs »

gordon wrote:... sending a letter does not put the letter in my yahoo sent box :-(
Check out a previous topic of yours on the subject of sent mail in the Yahoo Sent Folder: send mail to yahoo sent box. :wink: (my last post in this topic linking to a post by Jeff would specifically apply to you in regards to using IMAP)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
gordon

Post by gordon »

But that eventually links back to this thread, correct?
I am posting here because the antijunk rule example is in this thread.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I just tested the original and can confirm that it does work -- the message appears in the "Sent" folder. As a sanity check, I also sent another test message -- excluding the BCC -- and the message did *not* appear in the 'Sent' folder, as expected (to make sure that there wasn't some other reason why the message was going into the 'sent' folder).

After double-checking your screenshots, I see the problem:
In the 4th line of the rule set, you need to edit the account(s) so that your specific accounts are listed.
That is, you need to replace "YourYahooAccount1, YourYahooAccount2" with the name(s) of your actual Yahoo accounts as they are named in POP Peeper (separated by commas if you have more than one account you want to apply this rule to).
gordon

Post by gordon »

OK, I put my account name in place of "YourYahooAccount1" and it still does not work :-(

I wonder if this is the problem:
Normally people just create inbox/outbox accounts.
But you added the capability to add an account for other online server folders.
I assume it allows for the Sent folder.
And as I recall the account name for the inbox account is different from the other folder accounts.
So when you say "YourYahooAccount1", does that refer to a "Sent" folder account,
or an inbox/outbox account?
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The account must be your inbox. Also, are you BCCing yourself? That's also required for this to work.

Let me explain what this rule does exactly:
- When you BCC yourself, you'll get a copy of the email sent to your inbox
- This email (bcc) will match the rule (it's from your own email address; it does not include your email address in the 'to' or 'cc' fields; and it's only in your inbox account)
- So PP receives the bcc, which matches the rule and the action will move it to the sent folder
-> What this effectively means is that the message will appear in the Sent folder only after:
(a) you've sent the message and
(b) the inbox account is checked for mail (in order for PP to retrieve the bcc and process the rule)
note: in most imap accounts, this would happen almost simultaneously with IDLE involved, but Yahoo does not support IDLE so the extra checkmail is necessary

If it's still not working, email me (support at esumsoft dot com) so we can collect the logs and see exactly what's going on.
gordon

Post by gordon »

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaa it now works :-)
I misread your earlier explanation that you need to BCC: mymailaccount

I wish I could remember to always use BCC: mymailaccount whenever I send mail.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad you got it working :)

If you edit the account and go to the 'send mail' page, there's an option to add your email address so that you can automatically bcc yourself when you send email.

The option to self-bcc is available when you create a new account in POP Peeper; this is relatively new, though (v4.x).