Connection settings broken in V4?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
JoelG

Connection settings broken in V4?

Post by JoelG »

I changed the proxy settings for my IE browser and was surprised to notice that POP Peeper carried those settings despite being set not to. My settings under Options -> Connection:
Connection type=Using a permanent connection (Cable, DSL, T1, LAN, etc.)
HTTP proxy settings Access Type=Direct Connection to Internet

It made no difference changing Connection Type=Assume I'm always online

I normally never use a proxy but am testing a device for a consulting gig so this never came up before.

Thanks as always for the awesome software and support of it!
JoelG

Re: Connection settings broken in V4?

Post by JoelG »

Just thought that it might help to add that I'm using windows 7 with IE v11, thanks
mjs

Post by mjs »

In regards to your questions, Jeff will need to address them specific to POP Peeper (PP).

What I do know is that setting the proxy server in the Internet Explorer (IE) browser will impact the rest of the Windows operating system and not only will other installed browsers like Chrome and Opera use IE's proxy settings but also in many cases various apps installed that connect to the Internet will use these same settings that IE has been set to as well. In the case of PP I'm not at all sure if this would be the case however.

Since I basically only use the Firefox (FF) browser, what I know regarding FF is that if the setting "Use system proxy settings" in the FF Connection Settings is enabled then FF will use the IE proxy settings as is the case regarding other browsers i.e. Chrome, Opera etc. On the other hand more specific to your questions, what makes FF relatively unique is that there are several other various proxy settings that are provided by FF to avoid using the IE proxy settings and instead provide additional independent proxy specificity and as a result other installed apps would not be impacted as well. Some of these FF proxy settings are the default setting "No proxy" which when enabled FF will not use a proxy server to connect to the Internet regardless of what the IE proxy settings happen to be and of course among several other FF proxy settings would be the "Manual proxy configuration" proxy setting that provides the ability to enter a specific IP address and port for the desired proxy which again remains independent of any IE proxy settings. Also, unlike other browsers, FF allows you to set different proxy servers and ports for different kinds of traffic, like HTTP, SSL, FTP and so on and if you don't want to use a proxy server for specific network addresses, you can add them separated by a comma (,) in the "No proxy for" text box provided by FF and as is the case with all these FF proxy settings other than "Use system proxy settings" (uses the IE proxy settings like other browsers) they provide the ability for FF proxy settings to remain independent of the IE proxy settings.

Sorry I can't be of more help in regards to how IE proxy settings impact PP specifically however. :(
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

I just performed the following test:
- Changed IE to use a bad proxy server
- Opened PP and checked a Hotmail account
-> result: error -1000
- Changed PP settings to use "direct connection"
- Checked hotmail again and it worked
- Changed Internet settings back to "no proxy"
- Set PP back to "use registry"
- Checked hotmail again and it worked

All as expected. It should be noted that these aren't really IE-specific settings, they are the system settings and that's why they may affect other browsers and apps.

If you're using Direct connection and PP seemed to error when you changed the system proxy, perhaps it was just coincidence?