Spaces at the beginning of account names

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
ECourts

Spaces at the beginning of account names

Post by ECourts »

It seems that the new POP Peeper (I'm using v4.1 Beta 3) does not allow the space character at the beginning of an account name. I use spaces to adjust the sort order of the account name list (adding a space brings an account to the top) - all accounts created previously are fine, and as before, but when inserting a space at the beginning of an new account name in the latest version it is replaced by an underline, which pushes the account to the bottom of the sort order.

Is there a reason for this change?

Thanks,

Edwin
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Spaces at the beginning of account names

Post by Jeff »

Not that I expect you to have seen this, but this is listed in the version history for v4.1.

The reason for this change is because it was discovered that it was causing some side-effects, notably, if you tried to send an email that had been previously saved in the outbox, you may get a "send mail account not found" (paraphrase). Another side-effect is that Windows itself doesn't allow spaces at the beginning/end of filenames or folders, so this causes a problem since POP Peeper uses Account names in the filesystem.

As an alternative, you can use other characters that have higher precedence than alphanumeric characters, such as '!' (and you can include spaces after the exclamation point).
ECourts

Re: Spaces at the beginning of account names

Post by ECourts »

Thanks.... seem it's something I will have to live with, or more accurately work around the workaround

Note to self: read more release notes
Additional note to self: Ignore notes to self.
:P

It might be helpful when entering an "illegal" initial space to get a warning.... Those spaces were pretty useful as they were invisible.....