Where did my mail go?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bdl4ppp

Where did my mail go?

Post by bdl4ppp »

I'm new to PopPeeper. I left incoming mail in the inbox, figuring I'd move it when I figured out how.

Now it's gone. I need to get it back. How can I get it back?
Last edited by spc3rd on Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from Discussion to Tech Support for better exposure.
mjs

Re: Where did my mail go?

Post by mjs »

Welcome to the forum bdl4ppp, using Pop Peeper for the first time may at times be a little confusing in some regards. We are here to help out however. :D (since you're "new" to Pop Peeper I'm assuming you've recently install it and therefore using Pop Peeper version 4, version is determined by going to "Help" > "About Pop Peeper" in the main menu)

Without knowing exactly what you mean by "Now it's gone" regarding the email in your Pop Peeper inbox presumably (some specific mail is "gone" or all is mail "gone"??), I'll touch on a few points below.

First of all, since your "new" to Pop Peeper, I think maybe what you're referring to is the "Status" of your email in Pop Peeper (how "Status" changes) and therefore what might be confusing to you is that Pop Peeper will flag the email as "New" in the "Read Status" column (probably the 2nd or 3rd column from the right of the Pop Peeper main interface) for any "New" mail that has arrived since the last time you opened the Pop Peeper interface (window). But if you close Pop Peeper and then open Pop Peeper again the "New" status for these emails will have changed to "Unread" (closed envelope) assuming you had not "read" the email (open envelope) because the email is no longer considered "New" from the point when you opened Pop Peeper again ("Unread" mail will remain listed in bold however). So all the email that had displayed as "New" the last time you opened Pop Peeper will be listed as "Unread" for the unread email in your inbox however you can still do whatever you want with your email accordingly (read, move, delete etc). Of course once again the cycle continues in that any "New" mail that has arrived since you had last opened Pop Peeper will be displayed as "New" and flagged as such in the "Read status" column and once again any unread "new" mail from before then has a status of "Unread". Possibly this is what you're referring to which might give a first impression that "New" mail you recall you had in the inbox the last time you opened Pop Peeper is no longer there (no longer showing up as "new").

If this is what you're referring to, that is the email is not displayed as "New" mail as before but is actually still listed in your Pop Peeper inbox, then you don't need to read any further as this is explained above. If you still have questions regarding any of this then please post back with your questions. Read further if what I have posted above does not apply.

Pop Peeper reflects what is in your Email Clients inbox.

If you login to your email account on the web using your browser then what you see in your inbox there on the web is what you will in general see in your Pop peeper inbox.

The exceptions to this would be if the email messages are "hidden" in Pop Peeper. You can determine this by going to "Messages" in the Pop Peeper Main menu to see what options are enabled. The simplest way to make sure all email that may be hidden will be displayed is to disable (uncheck) "Enable display filters" in the main menu option "Messages" which would typically have an impact on only a very few number of emails if any actually and should only be a temporary setting (ultimately should be set back to checked). Be sure and read the message in the popup window if you uncheck "Enable display filters". More details regarding various message display options are explained below, however the setting above would cover what any other "hidden" message settings discussed below will do. It is possible that if what you mean by "Now it's gone" has to do with a very small number of emails perhaps this setting may possibly apply.

If any of the options in "Messages" that start with "Hide...." are selected (checked) then these messages will be "hidden". Usually you'll always want two items selected (checked) in "Messages" which are: 1) "Enable display filters" and 2) "Hide hidden messages" are best to be selected (checked) and the remainder unchecked. You can uncheck either one of these options temporarily to see if there are any messages that are impacted by these two settings.

You can also change what displays in the Pop Peeper inbox that might specifically apply to "junk" mail using the "Junk View" option (also in "Messages", last option in the top section). If you have selected "Show all" in the "Junk View" settings then any email impacted by Junk settings will be displayed in your Pop Peeper inbox regardless of your Junk mail settings. If the "Show all" option is not selected then you can select "Show all" to see if this makes a difference. My personal preference is to leave this setting on "Show all".

So the question is (if you're at this point), what messages do you see in your Email Client. Login to your Email account on the web using your browser and determine what is in the inbox for that account. Then compare that to what you see in the Pop Peeper inbox for that same account. Do you see any difference? If so please post back details regarding what is different between the two inboxes.

If what I've explained above does not apply and you're familiar with all of this but your email has actually "disappeared" from your Pop Peeper inbox [missing message(s) that are in your Email Client(s) inbox] then do the following in the Pop Peeper main menu: Go to "Tools" > "Options" > "Storage" tab and post what you see in "Ini location" and "Data path". You can optionally post a screen-shot of this as well (for HELP on how to do this you can click on the top link in the "Tech Support" forum or you can click HERE)
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Where did my mail go?

Post by Jeff »

To summarize: if you're able to access the account with your webbrowser, are the messages still in your inbox? The answer to that will allow us to have a better idea of what may have happened.