Poppeeper downloading entire mail folder

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
passtheword

Poppeeper downloading entire mail folder

Post by passtheword »

I'm having problems with poppeeper downloading my entire mail folder each time I start the program (with the windows startup); I am using Windows 8. In the past, poppeeper always retained the previously downloaded messages on my computer, then would check for new/changes to the email acct and adjust accordingly.

Also, I have several email accts which are on the horde platform. I am accessing them through IMAP. Most of the time the accts will connect fine, and then after an hr or so, poppeeper gives me an error message, stating that the acct is not connected. After a while, I'll check back and the same acct has reconnected. Just wondering if there is something I don't have set properly for those particular email accts, something amiss on the mail server's end, or whether there is some type of firewall possibly blocking poppeeper at times from accessing those accts.
Last edited by spc3rd on Thu Oct 08, 2015 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic moved from Discussion to Tech Support sub-forum for better exposure.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Poppeeper downloading entire mail folder

Post by Jeff »

Ok, a couple of things to check:
1) main menu: Tools / Options / Storage
- Make sure that the "Storage" dropdown is set to either Headers or Entire (Entire is recommended)
If it was set to "None" then that was the problem and you should be good. If it was set to Headers, then you may still want to change it to Entire. There are still cases where PP will try to download the entire message (I can explain further if it's the case).

2) If the above was already set to Entire:
Still looking at Tools / Options / Storage,
Let me know the 2 values for:
Ini Location
Data path
-> It's possible that you're using a write-protected folder that PP cannot save data to, which could cause this problem.

As for your IMAP connection issue --
It's hard to say exactly what the problem is. It could be that the server was down (maintenance, overloaded, etc.) or something was wrong with your connection temporarily. It's not likely a firewall or mis-configuration, as that would be a more permanent issue.

If you're really curious, you could open a dos prompt and do a constant ping to the server:
ping imap.theserver.com -t
This will continually ping the server until you press Ctrl+C to break it. When you notice PP cannot connect, check if the ping is succeeding or not.

btw, I wouldn't use that ping command more than you need to. Some servers may not like it and think you're trying to DOS them or something. That being said, I've done it for several hours with certain popular servers to check my own internet issues and I've never been banned :)
passtheword

Post by passtheword »

I did go back and check and yes, my settings were marked with "none". I changed it to "entire message" and problem solved. Thank you!

As far as the IMAP issue, I am guessing it has something to do with the server since it connects, disconnects, and reconnects repeatedly. My gmail acct is accessed with IMAP with no problems. The other accts which use IMAP are all secondary accts, so I set them to POP3 instead and not experiencing any more problems there. :)
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Glad everything is back to normal now.

Sorry you couldn't use IMAP (it really is superior over POP3), but it does sound like the problem was with your host's IMAP servers. You may want to contact them and see if there's a known problem.