Synchronising with Gmail 'Sent' folder

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
colin_thames

Synchronising with Gmail 'Sent' folder

Post by colin_thames »

Hi, I only seem to be able to pick up my Gmail using the Gmail server type. If I select IMAP I get an error in PopPeeper and Gmail tells me that:
"Someone just tried to sign in to your Google Account name@gmail.com from an app that doesn't meet modern security standards."

The reason I want to try IMAP is so I can also download my Sent mail folder. If using the Gmail server type PP shows a message in the account editing screen of 'Not supported for this protocol' next to Folder:

When setting up the account and testing the IMAP servers I get the following error messages on Pop Peeper
imap.gmail.com Connection error
mail.gmail.com Unknown Host

I'm using the latest plugin for webmail 4.0.20.0 My IMAP pugin is 4.0.1.0 but I don;t seem to be able to find a current one on your website when I click 'download'. Could this be the problem? I've had PP since version 3 and steadily upgraded. Have a I somehow retained an old version of the IMAP plugin?

If this isn't the issue, what can you recommend?
Thanks
mjs

Re: Synchronising with Gmail 'Sent' folder

Post by mjs »

Take a look here: Allowing less secure apps to access your account. Clicking on the Allow less secure apps link is where you can TURN ON the "Access for less secure apps". Try selecting "Turn on" if you haven't got "Access for less secure apps" turned on and see if this helps you out.

Click HERE Regardng Gmail: unknown error? topic where Jeff posted a comment on this.

Please post back your progress. Thanks.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

Let us know if you still cannot access GMail using IMAP with POP Peeper. Using IMAP *is* the preferred method, despite GMail's FUD that using TLS is less secure.
colin_thames

Post by colin_thames »

Thank you, changing the settings on Gmail for less secure apps has done the trick and I can now receive emails using IMAP and sync with my sent folder. :D