OOM- Out of memory ERROR

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
Nik

OOM- Out of memory ERROR

Post by Nik »

I used PP for a long time but just recently got it failed with 'OOM- Out of memory' error.
Reboot the machine or un-install and re-install does not helps at all.
Please advise.

Nikita
IBM ThinkPad x61tablet (6GB RAM) with W7uSP1 x64
mjs

Re: OOM- Out of memory ERROR

Post by mjs »

Take a look and see if THIS TOPIC helps you out where "OOM (Out-Of-Memory) " errors were occurring in Pop Peeper while retrieving email.

It would be helpful to post in this topic the error you are getting which incidently also provides us with additional information. To post the error: Click on the yellow icon with the exclamation mark ("!") in the lower-right corner of the Pop Peeper interface which will open the Pop Peeper "Error Overview" window. Then click on "Copy" in the "Error Overview" window and "paste" the error information into this forum. To paste the information (after doing the "Copy"), place the cursor where you want the error to post (left-click to place cursor) in your reply then right-click and select "Paste" from the context menu or alternatively press CTRL+V to paste the error information at the location of the cursor.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

The best method to reduce OOM errors is to remove messages -- especially messages with large/many attachments. If you can open PP without crashing, then sorting by the "size" column can help you determine which messages and in which accounts should be removed. These messages don't necessarily have to be deleted, you can move them to another folder that PP doesn't monitor.

This is a known issue with POP Peeper and there are plans to address it; however, it will be after v4.1.
Nik

Post by Nik »

No, this is not my case. I getting OOM error while starting POP Peeper. So no ANY messages are collected from the mailboxes then.

***SOLVED
Go Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper

Find set of .emd files. The biggest one, in my case it was 1,2+ GB, just rename file extension for odd 3 chars.
Start POP Peeper - ok. Click to Check mail. This will rewrite your account.emd file.

To be sure setup download preview with 500-1000 lines.

So, the problem is fixed by that means. But I will look for alternatives now with more flexibility in settings.
For example - deepth of emails collection in time by date could be useful.
Last edited by Nik on Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

In that case, you'll need to prevent POP Peeper from loading the existing messages that are saved:

1) Open Windows Explorer to where POP Peeper saves its data. This is usually:
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\

2) In this folder, you'll see subfolders for each of your accounts. Go into one of the accounts that you believe has a lot of messages/data; let's say it's named, "account2":
%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\POP Peeper\account2\

3) In this folder, you'll see a file named data.db -- this is the database file that stores the messages that PP will load when it starts
- Rename that file to data.bak

4) Try starting POP Peeper now. The messages for the account that you renamed the file will start with 0 messages. If you still have the problem, then you may want to repeat step #3 for additional account(s).

5) If you have not already removed messages from the source inbox(es) of your accounts to minimize the size, then you should immediately disable POP Peeper from checking your accounts (press the round green button on the bottom-right of the main window; it will turn red to indicate that AutoCheck is disabled).

6) Once you've removed messages from the source inbox, re-enable AutoCheck and press Check Mail to see if POP Peeper is able to retrieve the messages.

Let us know your progress.
Nik

Post by Nik »

Jeff,
Thank you.
I replied above.

The issue is SOLVED. Problem was in .emd file which was too huge (about 1.2GB).

Thanks anyway for support.

Best Regards,
Nikita