Any benefit to using webmail over imap?

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
mmm648

Any benefit to using webmail over imap?

Post by mmm648 »

Specifically for Hotmail since you can't receive attachments using web mail and the junk folder is currently unretrievable.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Re: Any benefit to using webmail over imap?

Post by Jeff »

As a general rule of thumb, IMAP is always better than webmail. And this is especially true for:
1) POP Peeper v4.1: because it adds a lot of IMAP specific features and optimizations
2) Hotmail: because I've gotten tired of the constant changes they've been making lately and so the features supported are severely limited. It takes a lot of time, effort and patience to fix the changes, and since they support IMAP, the number of people that require webmail access (e.g. some companies may block SSL connections) is very limited.

Some people may have very specific reasons for preferring webmail over IMAP, just because of subtle differences. And, in fact, a few weeks ago, I even recommended considering switching back to webmail for Hotmail because their servers were having issues (actually, I recommended POP3 first, but Hotmail's POP3 servers have their own quirks). Hotmail eventually fixed the major problems and so IMAP is back to being stable -- I still see 1 error every couple days, but it's not significant.

Presumably, you have the Plus Pack. If you don't already have the v4.1 beta/rc, when v4.1 is available (very soon), an added feature of the Plus Pack allows you to move messages to other folders -- for IMAP only, of course :)
mmm648

Re: Any benefit to using webmail over imap?

Post by mmm648 »

Thanks for the quick reply, looks like I'll be switching my Hotmails to IMAP =) but it's nice to know that web-mail can be used as a backup in case the servers are down.