blocked inline images

POP Peeper: Tech support, suggestions, discussion, etc.
bbqbrisket

blocked inline images

Post by bbqbrisket »

I get this recently on all my hotmail email accounts: Yellow bar on top: "Blocked inline images. Double click to display messages."
I have looked for other info on this and see something of "uncheck" HTML box marked "block external images" but it is already unchecked.
Any help appreciated. thanks
mjs

Re: blocked inline images

Post by mjs »

I am assuming you are using Pop Peeper version 4 (hereafter referred to as "PP") of which the following applies to and you're keeping "block external images" unchecked. Because this is a new development for you I'm inclined to think that perhaps your Hotmail has changed to the "Preview" version ("Preview" displays at the top of the Hotmail inbox UI) when logging directly into the Hotmail Email Client on the Internet using your browser. If this is the case then skip to Option 2.

Option 1) One way to avoid the yellow banner warning is when using the IMAP (Server setting) protocol (which you apparently are) and if you're Hotmail is NOT the "Preview" version ("Preview" is not displayed at the top of the Hotmail inbox UI) when logging directly into the Hotmail Email Client on the Internet using your browser then the following should provide you with results you want. In the PP main menu go to "Options" > "Message Retrieval" > then set the IMAP "Default Retrieval Option" (IMAP, 3rd drop-down setting) to either "Entire Message" or make sure that the combination of "Headers" and also the "Retrieve entire message (with attachments) when header is viewed" options are both enabled (checked). Then select "View Messages" in the same "Options" window and make sure that "Smart HTML viewing" is enabled (checked). This should be enough in this case to avoid the yellow banner warning for messages with images so now skip down to "RESULT OF CHANGE:" (for testing).

Option 2) On the other hand if you're Hotmail is the "Preview" version (see above explanation) then another way to avoid the yellow banner warning is when using the IMAP protocol (which you apparently are) you would in the PP main menu go to "Options" > "Message Retrieval", set the IMAP "Default Retrieval Option" to "Headers" (IMAP, 3rd drop-down setting) and then enable (check) "Retrieve entire message (with attachments) when header is viewed".

RESULT OF CHANGE:
Now any "new" messages with embedded images should not display the yellow banner warning but instead should open with the image(s) displayed directly in the message. Btw, this yellow banner warning is provided for security protection.

If you decide to set an account as described above then see if that helps you out. Try doing a test by sending an email with an embedded image to the account with these settings (or better yet, if you've got a message that is still displaying the yellow banner warning, you have not double-clicked on the banner, you can open the message, click on "File" > select "Re-download message" and the embedded image(s) will display in the message without the yellow banner warning. Or if you just want to test an email already sent to you that you have already double-clicked the banner then you can Right-Click on the message in the PP Inbox and select "Remove from list", then Right-Click on that account in the left pane of the PP interface that had that message and select "Check mail" from the context-menu which will then repopulate the PP inbox with that same message again which will then not display the yellow banner warning when opened in PP).

Please post back with any questions and/or if either of these two methods provide you with the outcome that you want.
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers
bbqbrisket

Post by bbqbrisket »

Hi
Yes, I am using 4.0. I did go over and make adjustments as you have outlined
However, the box "Smart HTML viewing" will not let me check it off.

lastly on a side note, another issue, even though at the bottom of my Forum posts when selecting "Notify me when a reply is posted", I do not get notified
and I have to go into the Forum posts to see any replies.
Jeff
Admin / Developer

Post by Jeff »

bbqbrisket wrote:However, the box "Smart HTML viewing" will not let me check it off.
What is the "it" that you refer to? If you're referring to the "smart html" option itself, if it's disabled, then that means you don't have Pro and it won't apply. In that case, you just need to disable "block external images" on that options page.

As for reply notification, I just tested it and it worked for me. It's not something I use myself (I use other methods), but there are some kind of crazy rules for how it works. But you may also want to check your spam filters, as those kind of notification emails often get filtered as Junk.
mjs

Post by mjs »

bbqbrisket - Since you apparently do not have "Pro", so in that case "Smart HTML" is not available, then besides disabling "block external images" on that options page you will need to enable (check) “Process attachment (e. g. inline images)” on that same options page as well to get what you want which is to display the imbedded images in the message without the need to double/click on the "yellow banner warning" with the message "Blocked in-line messages: Double-click here to display images".
Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers